• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Bradley: "What’s the big idea? Shaq as a Hawk wouldn’t work"

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

is it me or is MB being a Negative Nancy of late?

MB's Latest AJC Blog

Edited by NineOhTheRino

MB's expectations are all out of whack !

What kind of center does $5.5 mill get you ?

I'd gladly take 10 points , 5.5 rebounds, 1.2 blocks out of a backup center geting 22 minutes a game. Shaq still has that in his tank and beyond the numbers he can bang with any body in the league down in the paint. That is what the Hawks need more then anything. That big physical presence. At 38, that is only 22 minutes a night for Shaq............but that is better then no minutes.

• Premium Member

MB does not understand the master plan. Shaq's sole purpose on this team would be to control Howard and possibly Bogut. Hawks don't need him to be 'the old Shaq' ; They are just looking for defensive answers versus the teams that give them the most trouble.

Q: So can a 38 YO Shaq shut down Howard

A: No

Q: Can a 38 YO Shaq contain Howard

A: Yes

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I'm not a bradley fan at all, but he is totally right on this one. You've got a team that depends on the balance between a bunch of talented young guys. You're going to bring in a side show, egomaniac and screw up the locker room. If he brought something on the court it would be one thing but he's finished as a game changer. He's a mid-level distraction.

We need to sign Shaq for the same reason that Cleveland signed him. Because of Dwight Howard. Cleveland's problem of course is they never made it to Dwight Howard. They weren't a good matchup for Boston. Well I think we all know we're a far better matchup against Boston. Im not even worried about them. Heck even the 37 win Hawk team showed they could give Boston problems. I would not fear Boston at all at this point.

There is pretty much nothing we can do of a super team of LeBron/Bosh or Wade/Bosh, but at the very least we can try to position ourselves to be right behind that team and that all starts and ends with Orlando which all starts and ends with getting someone who can matchup with Howard.

And I think you would be surprised to discover how good in fact Shaq does matchup with Howard.

Dwight Howard has only scored 20+ PPG against Shaq 2 times out of 10 meetings

Dwight Howard has never scored more than 22 PPG against Shaq

In 4 of the 10 games he didn't have double digit rebounding

In 4 of the 10 games he didn't have 50% shooting

Dwight Howard

15.9 PPG 10.7 RPG 1.2 BPG

.568 FG%

Shaq

17.4 PPG 7.4 RPG 1.6 BPG

.632 FG%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=howardw01

• Premium Member

IF we sign shaq trade Smoove for a PG because Marvin should be more effective in LD new offense

this team should not be making moves based on what LDs offense should be.

I'm not a bradley fan at all, but he is totally right on this one. You've got a team that depends on the balance between a bunch of talented young guys. You're going to bring in a side show, egomaniac and screw up the locker room. If he brought something on the court it would be one thing but he's finished as a game changer. He's a mid-level distraction.

Check the secod round of the postseason against dwight. thanks. bring shaq here.

Edited by Unforgiven

There are so many things wrong with his opinion on this matter, that it would take too long to go into all of it. It seems as though most of Bradley's entire argument is based on his assumption that Shaq would start here. If we were getting Shaq to start, then we would be in trouble. However, we most likely aren't (nor should he at his point in his career), but he would make an EXCELLENT backup for about 20 mins a night. And because of this, Bradley's argument falls apart.

I think it all depends on whether he actually tries to get into better shape. He's old, but lots of centers have played for a long time. If he didn't do it in Cleveland, then he probably won't do it here. Still he might figure this is getting close to his last chance. As for Bradley, his job is to stir up watercooler talk, not to be right. Anyway, I think it shows the money is no object for ASG. Good for them for trying.

Seriously? Shaq is your defensive answer for Dwight Howard? Hopefully he can get out of his chair come the post season.

lol dwight thinks hes superman. the numbers really tell the truth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=2384

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=614

maybe dwight should look at those numbers before he starts dissin shaq

Think of the 2 teams ahead of us in the east right now. Clevland if the bring big Z back he kills us even at his age just standing under the basket getting garbage put backs and nobody on our squad can stop it. Orlando, Dwight Howard intimidates Horford and Smoove. They are for all intents and purposes SCARED of him his elbows and his superman cape. Shaq eliminates that fear and even for 20-25 minutes a game can come in and shove Dwight around because Shaq is bigger and doesnt like Dwight so hes motivated. Big Z is not so Big next to Shaq is he.

• Premium Member

Think of the 2 teams ahead of us in the east right now. Clevland if the bring big Z back he kills us even at his age just standing under the basket getting garbage put backs and nobody on our squad can stop it. Orlando, Dwight Howard intimidates Horford and Smoove. They are for all intents and purposes SCARED of him his elbows and his superman cape. Shaq eliminates that fear and even for 20-25 minutes a game can come in and shove Dwight around because Shaq is bigger and doesnt like Dwight so hes motivated. Big Z is not so Big next to Shaq is he.

+1

Mark Bradley also said that Horford wouldn't be an all-star at the 4 which is totally absurd and selling Al's talent and skill way short. That aside, if the Hawks plan on having the same main 4-5 rotation as last year of Horford, Smith and Za Za, they'd have learned very little from the Orlando debacle and are setting themselves up for another beatdown this year.

• Premium Member

i wonder if ASG has done the math on the revenue they'll get from a Shaq retirement tour.