• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Suns acquire Childress in a S&T for 2012 2nd & 3 mil TPE

GameTime

How many times did any of you guys ( like me ) check Chills twitter last year for updates and follow this saga. Why? Why? Why? All that time just to find out we get a 2nd round pick that we will draft and send to play with Gladyr, Papse and prolly a returned to europe David Anderson. I wish they still had that pac man that shot himself.

<p>The Hawks are discussing a sign-and-trade that would send forward <strong>Josh Childress</strong> to Phoenix for a second-round pick and a trade exception, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed tonight.</p><p><strong>Paul Coro </strong>of the Arizona Republic reported tonight that <a href="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/11/20100711phoenix-suns-acquire-hedo-turkoglu-josh-childress.html"target="new">the deal is “on the verge” of completion</a>. Childress would sign with Phoenix for six years and at least $30 million, according to the report.</p><p>If Childress signs a deal for those terms, Atlanta’s trade exception would be worth half the full amount of his first-year salary since he would become a <a href="http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q76"target="new">base-year compensation player</a>. The exception <a href="http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q72"target="new">works as a sort of credit</a> that would allow the Hawks to make a trade while over the salary cap without meeting the usual <a href="http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71"target="new">salary-matching requirement</a>.</p><p>Atlanta drafted Childress with the No. 6 overall pick of the 2004 draft. He played four seasons with the Hawks before opting to sign a free-agent contract with Greek team Olympiakos in 2008. He has until Thursday to opt out of the final season of …</p>

View the full article

wow this suddenly seems as if the hawks have something up their sleeves regarding a trade!.............hmmmm maybe cp3.......melo.........who knows! Im glad to see the ASG trying to get something done though! So this is great news in the end!

How many times did any of you guys ( like me ) check Chills twitter last year for updates and follow this saga. Why? Why? Why? All that time just to find out we get a 2nd round pick that we will draft and send to play with Gladyr, Papse and prolly a returned to europe David Anderson. I wish they still had that pac man that shot himself.

Well, you're correct, the 2nd round pick will never play.

And the TPE probably won't be used.

No one's going to give us a useful player on a rookie contract to avoid the lux tax.

And, as has been posted I'm sure, the TPE cannot be combined.

Also, unless the contract is front-loaded, the TPE will likely be < $3M.

This means that the TPE does not help with Shaq unless he wants to make 3M per.

If the TPE were actually used, best-case scenario would be a player like Jamario Moon.

Perhaps more probable, TPE could be used in a S&T for a free agent with a starting salary ~3M.

That's only during luxury tax time, a lot of teams that do not want to pay it have set themselves up for not getting it in 2010-11. The potential lockout made it hard to make cheap trades since teams have cleared space.

The TPE is pretty much around for the calendar year. There will be lux tax payers this season and they may have some min salary guy with potential that's not getting PT or they just don't feel like paying twice his salary for and give him away. (*takes off optimism hat*)

It's not all doom and gloom. Lets say the Hawks send Bibby and Marvin to the Hornets for Okafor and Collison. We could then, in a separate trade, send the TE to them for Julian Wright. (This scenario is based purely on the fact that he refused to play on their summer league team and that they might want to get rid of him)

This example isn't very good but the basic idea is that we do a trade that is in our favor and then do a trade that lets the other team dump a player they may not want.

Well, you're correct, the 2nd round pick will never play.

And the TPE probably won't be used.

No one's going to give us a useful player on a rookie contract to avoid the lux tax.

And, as has been posted I'm sure, the TPE cannot be combined.

Also, unless the contract is front-loaded, the TPE will likely be < $3M.

This means that the TPE does not help with Shaq unless he wants to make 3M per.

If the TPE were actually used, best-case scenario would be a player like Jamario Moon.

Perhaps more probable, TPE could be used in a S&T for a free agent with a starting salary ~3M.

:computer8:

wow this suddenly seems as if the hawks have something up their sleeves regarding a trade!.............hmmmm maybe cp3.......melo.........who knows! Im glad to see the ASG trying to get something done though! So this is great news in the end!

No, it's closer to no news (Well, unless you thought Chillz would ever play here again or actually net value in a S&T. Then it's probably a gut punch).

This move is particularly depressing because its a solid deal, Chill isn't overpaid in this. But we caved in, and for what? A 2nd rounder and a TPE worth enough to get us...not sure of anyone decent for around $3 million. We even have a thread going somewhere on how you cannot get any vet for less than that.

What happens if we don't do this S&T? Chill might sign the QO, we reach a contract with Chill, we get a S&T with actual assets in return, or Chill goes back to Greece. I think all of those are preferable to this S&T.

Especially when there were reports at least 8 teams ( some with more cap space than Pho ) were interested in Chills. :phone: GET ON THE PHONE SUND..........

No, it's closer to no news (Well, unless you thought Chillz would ever play here again or actually net value in a S&T. Then it's probably a gut punch).

Well this can be a good thing and bad thing. Personally I was paying most attention to the part that say:

"The exception works as a sort of credit that would allow the Hawks to make a trade while over the salary cap without meeting the usual salary-matching requirement."

to me we can use that to our advantage but it depends on how you look at things but remember all things are possible, the heat did just form a HUGE 3 that was unexpected by many!

I guess we can trade Mo Evans for a player who makes 5.5 mil? Im still depressed. I can already hear Sunds comments about how we can choose to use this Tpe in the future if the right deal comes along. yada yada yada Hopefully all these reports jumped the gun and there is much more to it.

This move is particularly depressing because its a solid deal, Chill isn't overpaid in this. But we caved in, and for what? A 2nd rounder and a TPE worth enough to get us...not sure of anyone decent for around $3 million. We even have a thread going somewhere on how you cannot get any vet for less than that.

What happens if we don't do this S&T? Chill might sign the QO, we reach a contract with Chill, we get a S&T with actual assets in return, or Chill goes back to Greece. I think all of those are preferable to this S&T.

Or maybe if we had added Chillz salary (even if it had only been the 4.8 mil QO) it would have kept us from making another move that we're looking to make (such as using the MLE or a trade) that combined with Chillz would push over over the luxury tax and we'd have to pay dollar for dollar. I'd love if we had an ownership group that could afford to spend well into the luxury tax but being minus 1 owner in the group and with this economy sucking so hard that's not a reality.

Having to overpay to keep Joe didn't help here either but I have to say if the option was to lose Joe and keep Chillz and still have the MLE to spend or to sign Joe and still have the MLE to spend I'll go with signing Joe.

• Like 2

Well this can be a good thing and bad thing. Personally I was paying most attention to the part that say:

"The exception works as a sort of credit that would allow the Hawks to make a trade while over the salary cap without meeting the usual salary-matching requirement."

to me we can use that to our advantage but it depends on how you look at things but remember all things are possible, the heat did just form a HUGE 3 that was unexpected by many!

I appreciate your optimism JTB.

But the only thing this TPE can be used for is to trade for a player with a salary ~3M.

Jamario Moon would be nice if CLE decided they hated him.

Otherwise, its of no use.

Especially when there were reports at least 8 teams ( some with more cap space than Pho ) were interested in Chills. :phone: GET ON THE PHONE SUND..........

1. You're making the assumption that those reports are true in a time when 95% of what you read online is BS.

2. You're making the assumption that one of them would offer us something better than what we're getting from Phoenix.

Both could be true but either way they're both still assumptions that aren't based on anything that we can prove.

Or maybe if we had added Chillz salary (even if it had only been the 4.8 mil QO) it would have kept us from making another move that we're looking to make (such as using the MLE or a trade) that combined with Chillz would push over over the luxury tax and we'd have to pay dollar for dollar. I'd love if we had an ownership group that could afford to spend well into the luxury tax but being minus 1 owner in the group and with this economy sucking so hard that's not a reality.

Having to overpay to keep Joe didn't help here either but I have to say if the option was to lose Joe and keep Chillz and still have the MLE to spend or to sign Joe and still have the MLE to spend I'll go with signing Joe.

I don't think that anyone really expected to keep Josh.

It's just the compensation that's rather sobering.