• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

who do you hope buys the team?

chuck15

Part of me would love to see Blank as the owner, but at the same time I wouldn't want to take anything away from the Falcons. The Falcons are finally a top-notch organization from top to bottom and I don't want to mess with it.

• Like 4

Quesiton to you ATLiens.

Fans praise Blank to no end in ATL . . . but what has Blank actually done for the Falcons, outside of setting up that entertainment / food court outside of the GA Dome? A lot of you act like Blank is spending money left and right on the players that he wants. But the only real commitment he's ever done, was give Vick all of that money.

We're talking about a Falcons team that has won 10+ games only 2 times in 11 years. And they just had their first back to back winning season. In essence, the Falcons haven't done any more than the Hawks have during that time frame.

So what does Blank ACUTALLY do, to gain so much admiration from the fan base?

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

Blank has done a lot like Flowery Branch, community outreach, etc. ASG is doing an okay job of late, you finally see they are starting to click. Let's see what's next for them. They are just average for the most part but the NBA is more about luck than actual performance. Detroit works harder than Miami but Miami has the nWo and Detroit has Ben Gordon and Charlie V.

• Premium Member

Quesiton to you ATLiens.

Fans praise Blank to no end in ATL . . . but what has Blank actually done for the Falcons, outside of setting up that entertainment / food court outside of the GA Dome? A lot of you act like Blank is spending money left and right on the players that he wants. But the only real commitment he's ever done, was give Vick all of that money.

We're talking about a Falcons team that has won 10+ games only 2 times in 11 years. And they just had their first back to back winning season. In essence, the Falcons haven't done any more than the Hawks have during that time frame.

So what does Blank ACUTALLY do, to gain so much admiration from the fan base?

This can't be a serious post. Blank has spent gobs of money on this team and he's been negotiating for at least two years now to help partially fund a new stadium.

• Moderators

Blank also went out and actively recruited several players at high market $$s such as running backs Michael Turner and Warrick Dunn. He has been an active player in FA and actively went out and pursued the fan base. I think he has done a great job both from a football perspective and a marketing perspective as far as showing his commitment as an owner. They have also went out and actively acquired players like John Abraham and Tony Gonzalez. It is a world of difference in credibility.

• Like 1

This can't be a serious post. Blank has spent gobs of money on this team and he's been negotiating for at least two years now to help partially fund a new stadium.

Soth . . and how has that translated to the success of the Falcons?

Because at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Shoot . . . the Knicks owner spends "gobs of money". But until it translates into more regular season wins and playoff appearances, his spending is all for naught.

I'm not defending the ASG by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just wondering where all of the love for Blank is coming from, seeing that the Falcons, by most NFL standards, is a mediocre football team.

Fact is . . over the last 5 years, the Hawks have been a much more successful franchise in ATL, than the Falcons.

• Like 1

Blank has upgraded every single aspect of the organization since he has been here. It took a while for him to find the right coach and GM and he got screwed by Vick, but he finally has the right combination in Smith, Dimitroff, and Ryan.

• Premium Member

Because at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Shoot . . . the Knicks owner spends "gobs of money". But until it translates into more regular season wins and playoff appearances, his spending is all for naught.

I'm not defending the ASG by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just wondering where all of the love for Blank is coming from, seeing that the Falcons, by most NFL standards, is a mediocre football team.

Fact is . . over the last 5 years, the Hawks have been a much more successful franchise in ATL, than the Falcons.

As others said he regularly goes out and recruits high name free agents and spends money to keep our own free agents. The Falcons are considered by many to be a Super Bowl dark horse this year. I don't see how anyone can question his credibility or his commitment as an owner to his product. If you are a Falcons fan old enough to remember the horrible Rankin Smith family then you know what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Blank has upgraded every single aspect of the organization since he has been here. It took a while for him to find the right coach and GM and he got screwed by Vick, but he finally has the right combination in Smith, Dimitroff, and Ryan.

I don't think it is as simple as comparing W/L records. The Falcons appear to be one of the most desirable and stable franchises in the NFL now. The Hawks appear to be dysfunctional even when they are winning. Take this offseason, the Hawks hired a GM last year and wouldn't let him hire his choice for coach. That doesn't signal "model organization" whereas Dimitroff seems to be able to call his own shots with some significant financial backing.

• Like 1

Blank also went out and actively recruited several players at high market $$s such as running backs Michael Turner and Warrick Dunn. He has been an active player in FA and actively went out and pursued the fan base. I think he has done a great job both from a football perspective and a marketing perspective as far as showing his commitment as an owner. They have also went out and actively acquired players like John Abraham and Tony Gonzalez. It is a world of difference in credibility.

So as long as the owner is "fan friendly", and the team stays OK . . .then everything is all good with the Falcons I guess.

It's just a different level in expectations between the two franchises. The Hawks were terrible, then improved dramatically, and fans are apathetic toward them because they're not a great team. But the Falcons, as long as they appease the fans, can get away with being mediocre.

The Falcons have a 49% win percentage over the last 5 years and the Hawks have a 47% win percentage. And over those 5 years the Falcons have had to deal with the face of the franchise going to prison and a coach bailing in the middle of the season. Plus much worse luck with injuries. The Hawks have had a ton of stability over the last 5 years (due to low expectations and luck with health) and only have more playoff appearances because it's easy to make the playoffs in the NBA. Right now the Falcons are set up to make a Super Bowl push while the Hawks are just hoping to not fall off too much.

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

• Moderators

So as long as the owner is "fan friendly", and the team stays OK . . .then everything is all good with the Falcons I guess.

It's just a different level in expectations between the two franchises. The Hawks were terrible, then improved dramatically, and fans are apathetic toward them because they're not a great team. But the Falcons, as long as they appease the fans, can get away with being mediocre.

To me, in comparing the ownership you have the following issues to overcome for the Hawks:

* The Belkin debacle

* Perception that the owners are financially strapped

* The hiring of Woodson on the cheap and keeping on the cheap followed by hiring Drew on the cheap

* The Sarver move of selling a desirable draft pick

* The way the ASG has run the Thrashers

* The financial drain of running both the Thrashers and Hawks when the perception is that they are not well heeled

* The dissatisfaction of the fans with Billy Knight and the ASG continued endorsement of BK even on the day he resigned

* The owners not letting BK fire Woodson and not letting Sund hire the coach of his choice

* The perception that the group style of ownership among the ASG leads to a lack of organization and clarity on ownership decisions

etc.

Are you serious dude? If you know ANYTHING about football and the NFL, one of the most respected owners in the league is Arthur Blank because he has turned the Falcons into a perennial playoff contender which in turn brings money to other franchises when we play them. He's been working to have a stadium built not only for the Falcons, but to try and lure a future World Cup for the city of Atlanta. The guy makes next to nothing from Georgia Dome proceeds because it's not his stadium, and he still profits. Not to mention after loads of coaching blunders, he's brought in two coaches that have taken us to the playoffs in their first years as head coach (Jim Mora and Mike Smith).

Even after the Michael Vick fiasco, he's managed to keep the wheels churning on this team. He hired a great GM that has amassed tons of respect around the league in his first two years than Sund and ASG have in their whole lives. We've got a no-nonsense head coach, a franchise quarterback, a hall of fame tight-end, a playmaker WR, and dominant runningback, and a young and hungry defense.

And he's a community guy first and foremost. The Atlanta Falcons have won continuous top awards for being the most community-oriented/charitable organization in the league.

So please tell me what ASG has done to even hold a candle next to Arthur Blank? The NFL aint the NBA. With a few stars anybody can win in the NBA. It takes a collective team to win on and off the field in the NFL. Get your mind right, dude.

• Like 1