• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Atlanta Hawks: Are you starving to send away Marvin Williams?

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

I know my blog people have been trying to trade Marvin (and Bibby) with every conceivable and inconceivable permutation of fantasy deals. My favorite thing is when the proposals go like this: “Marvin and Bibby are terrible and their contracts are burdens. The Hawks should trade them for (fill in the blank with better players with more reasonable contracts).”

So do you want Marvin gone so badly that you’d swap him for 38-year old Shaq as a two-year-rental-at-most off the bench? David Aldridge reports that the Cavs are dangling Shaq in a sign-and-trade proposal for Marvin. Since the Hawks aren’t going to pay Shaq more than the mid-level anyway if they want him (which still isn’t certain) the Cavs presumably are counting on Atlanta’s desire to shed Marvin’s deal as the motivation.

Assuming Shaq gets the two-year deal he wants, Atlanta’s savings would total the difference between their salaries over the next two seasons plus the final two seasons of Marvin’s deal (assuming he …

View the full article

I know my blog people have been trying to trade Marvin (and Bibby) with every conceivable and inconceivable permutation of fantasy deals. My favorite thing is when the proposals go like this: “Marvin and Bibby are terrible and their contracts are burdens. The Hawks should trade them for (fill in the blank with better players with more reasonable contracts).”

So do you want Marvin gone so badly that you’d swap him for 38-year old Shaq as a two-year-rental-at-most off the bench? David Aldridge reports that the Cavs are dangling Shaq in a sign-and-trade proposal for Marvin. Since the Hawks aren’t going to pay Shaq more than the mid-level anyway if they want him (which still isn’t certain) the Cavs presumably are counting on Atlanta’s desire to shed Marvin’s deal as the motivation.

Assuming Shaq gets the two-year deal he wants, Atlanta’s savings would total the difference between their salaries over the next two seasons plus the final two seasons of Marvin’s deal (assuming he …

View the full article

I think getting rid of Marvin would be a good idea. He certainly isn't the kind of player I would be worried about getting good all the sudden and haunting us. He seems to be pretty happy being average and lacks ambition to excel. Even if we didn't get much for him I figure Mo could do about as good.

Any solid asset we could get for Marvin would be a plus IMO.

• Premium Member

I can't believe I'm typing this but we can't trade Marvin UNLESS we get a starting quality SF or we sign one as a free agent (Matt Barnes?). We have only one true small forward on our roster and that's Marvin.

I can't believe I'm typing this but we can't trade Marvin UNLESS we get a starting quality SF or we sign one as a free agent (Matt Barnes?). We have only one true small forward on our roster and that's Marvin.

I understand your point Soth...but AC makes a good point too. If we could get the same deal for Marvin as we did for Chillz - 2nd round pick and a trade exception - I would do it.

BK was the worst drafter of all time. I'm not sure where we got Diaw - but I think it was 1st round - #6 Chillz went to Greece - #5 Shelden is just trade fodder these days - and #2 Marvin is just a guy nobody wants.

If it weren't for the 2nd 1st round pick (when we took a chance of a local kid - Smoove) and the no-brainer Horford pick...we would be Clippers East.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I understand your point Soth...but AC makes a good point too. If we could get the same deal for Marvin as we did for Chillz - 2nd round pick and a trade exception - I would do it.

BK was the worst drafter of all time. I'm not sure where we got Diaw - but I think it was 1st round - #6 Chillz went to Greece - #5 Shelden is just trade fodder these days - and #2 Marvin is just a guy nobody wants.

If it weren't for the 2nd 1st round pick (when we took a chance of a local kid - Smoove) and the no-brainer Horford pick...we would be Clippers East.

You don't understand, I'm not defending Marvin. I'm just stating the problem with this: our roster right now has one true small forward and that's Marvin. If we trade him away then we have a gaping hole at SF. The only way we can trade Marvin is if we get back a starting quality SF or the Hawks go out and sign someone like Barnes.

• Like 1

You don't understand, I'm not defending Marvin. I'm just stating the problem with this: our roster right now has one true small forward and that's Marvin. If we trade him away then we have a gaping hole at SF. The only way we can trade Marvin is if we get back a starting quality SF or the Hawks go out and sign someone like Barnes.

I'd love to have Barnes - with Mo backing him up. I just don't see the big worry. Smoove can play the "Rodman" SF in a big lineup and we have Mo signed - our all-star can play SF if necessary (he is 6'7"-235lbs) Mario is a decent desperation SF.

I agree with your statement, but you have to understand that when people want to get rid of someone so bad sometimes they don't care what they get in return. That's how we got the Sixth man of the Year.

I like Marvin, I'm emotionally attached to the guy after watching him all these years but we need to pull the trigger on this deal in a heart beat. That position is a dime a dozen compared to Center. Especially dime a dozen compared to like one of a very short list of guys who can match up with Dwight Howard. The list is basically like Kendrick Perkins, Shaq, and Yao.

This....

BK's inept drafting is the sole reason why last season just might be the high-water mark for this team for awhile. If you include Acie Law, that makes four lottery picks BK had and I'm still willing to bet that someone in the ownership group forced his hand with picking Horford (knowing him, he probably had his mind set on Brandan Wright).

I still shudder to imagine what kind of team we'd have right now if CP3, Al Jefferson, Deng, et al were on this squad instead of Childress and the Williams boys....