• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

As previously believed, ESPN radio in Atlanta is reporting the #Cavs are close to sending Shaq to the Hawks for Marvin Williams in S&T.

DJKadafi

Why would we trade marvin for Shaq? It makes no sense. We'd overpay Shaq and at the same leave a gaping hole in our starting rotation at small forward.

Exactly! Trading Marvin for Shaq makes ZERO sense. Your not shaving that much off the payroll. Only like a year since we'd have to sign Shaq to at least a 2yr deal when Marvin only has 3yrs left on his.

Exactly! Trading Marvin for Shaq makes ZERO sense. Your not shaving that much off the payroll. Only like a year since we'd have to sign Shaq to at least a 2yr deal when Marvin only has 3yrs left on his.

Yep, this is from Cleveland, until I hear this from Atlanta, it's not happening.

Except for the fact that centers are hard to find and wings grow on trees.

I have watched the Hawks get bullied in the paint for the last decade. It would be nice for us to have a guy who can dish out a little pain for once.

Edited by coachx

This is worth it just to unload Marvin's contract, It's a bonus that we get Shaq and anything else from Cleveland. Unloading his contract plus the TPE means we could actually try and sign a player better than Marvin to replace him plus our center issue is solved for a year or two. Marvin a role player that will never ever be worth what we were paying him. He is easily replaceable for alot less money.

This is worth it just to unload Marvin's contract, It's a bonus that we get Shaq and anything else from Cleveland. Unloading his contract plus the TPE means we could actually try and sign a player better than Marvin to replace him plus our center issue is solved for a year or two. Marvin a role player that will never ever be worth what we were paying him. He is easily replaceable for alot less money.

I will hold you to those words.

• Premium Member

Marvin has four years left on his deal I do believe.

I will hold you to those words.

That's fine Marvin has not done jack squat here, he is the total definition of average and he is not being paid like an average player. He was a complete waste of a pick and an even more waste to re sign him for so much. He can be replaced very easily.

• Premium Member

I have watched the Hawks get bullied in the paint for the last decade. It would be nice for us to have a guy who can dish out a little pain for once.

+1

No disrespect to Marvin, but he's not going to solve one of the Hawks most pressing issues. Shaq, on the other hand, just might.

Why don't we just sign Shaq outright and keep Marvin? He is a FREE AGENT.

• Premium Member

smh at this idiotic nonsense...and what happens if Shaq says "F this I'm retiring"

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Also Bob Rathbun also tweeted: All baloney Shaqs people stirring the s---

Which Zach Klein responded: yep.. total garbage.. Shaq is just ticked off no one wants to pay him $$$ for his old tired body

There's nothing to that rumor, just Espn radio re-hashing.

Putting a little too much stock in a 38 year old guy whose obvious motivation right now is maintaining his lifestyle not advancing a team to a ring.

If this is 31 year old Shaq, I'd throw half the team at him, even for a 34 year old Shaq but at 38 with his mileage and his asking price, hell no. We've seen how Shaq and desperate teams have worked out the past 3 years.

Why don't we just sign Shaq outright and keep Marvin? He is a FREE AGENT.

Money apparently. I wish they would stick to their guns and say take the MLE or go some where else.

However, according to the Hawks beat writer, MC, the Hawks do not think Shaq is worth the full MLE b/c it pushes then in the luxury tax. Flipping salarieswith Shaq and Marvin equals the books out and keeps the ASG from paying the tax while also shedding extra years on Marvin's contract.

That's fine Marvin has not done jack squat here, he is the total definition of average and he is not being paid like an average player. He was a complete waste of a pick and an even more waste to re sign him for so much. He can be replaced very easily.

We'll see if anything goes down. As I said, with Atlanta being stupid, no reason from them not to make bigger moves that takes on a big contract when we need super talent.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Putting a little too much stock in a 38 year old guy whose obvious motivation right now is maintaining his lifestyle not advancing a team to a ring.

If this is 31 year old Shaq, I'd throw half the team at him, even for a 34 year old Shaq but at 38 with his mileage and his asking price, hell no. We've seen how Shaq and desperate teams have worked out the past 3 years.

There is a difference. The Hawks would not expect Shaq to be a $20 mill a year player, nor would they expect him to start. We just want him for 50 games a year off the bench and to be a BEAST in the playoffs off the bench. Heck Marvin dissapears for at least 30 games a year any way. I have compared him to Derrick McKey since his eary years. A talented player who dissapears too often considering his talent.

Entirely different expectations levels.

Edited by coachx