• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not sign....

Marvin24Williams

I'll attempt to answer. We have 3 centers already, yes Al is and will be the starting center for this club come November, Zaza is his backup and Collins is the 3rd C. We have one PF on the roster in Josh Smith so a backup for him was deemed more valuable than picking up a 4th C, now whether or not the two backups we signed this season actually have any value is up to interpretation.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'll attempt to answer. We have 3 centers already, yes Al is and will be the starting center for this club come November, Zaza is his backup and Collins is the 3rd C. We have one PF on the roster in Josh Smith so a backup for him was deemed more valuable than picking up a 4th C, now whether or not the two backups we signed this season actually have any value is up to interpretation.

Did we actually sign Jason Collins yet? plus Al can swing over to Power forward very easily. By the way, I think that we had the three you mentioned last year plus Randolf Morris

• Like 1

Did we actually sign Jason Collins yet? plus Al can swing over to Power forward very easily. By the way, I think that we had the three you mentioned last year plus Randolf Morris

We haven't technically signed Powell yet either but there's no point in holding out hope that the team changes their minds, sources have pretty much confirmed both will be on the team next year. With swinging players to other positions you have to remember that Al starts at C, in any case where he picks up fouls or is say tired he is then not available to play PF also if Josh get's injured and Al starts at PF then who spells Al? And yes we did have 4 centers last season and if you remember clearly either RandMo or Collins were inactive for most nights and when they were active how many minutes did they average between them playing behind Zaza? Point being, a 3rd C is not going to make much of a difference to the roster in fact we wouldn't of even had RandMo on the roster last season if the ASG weren't so cheap to not cut him and replace that roster spot with say a backup guard or forward.

• Premium Member

And yes we did have 4 centers last season and if you remember clearly either RandMo or Collins were inactive for most nights and when they were active how many minutes did they average between them playing behind Zaza? Point being, a 3rd C is not going to make much of a difference to the roster in fact we wouldn't of even had RandMo on the roster last season if the ASG weren't so cheap to not cut him and replace that roster spot with say a backup guard or forward.

That was the Woodson Era which is over now unless you feel that LD and Woodson are one in the same.

That was the Woodson Era which is over now unless you feel that LD and Woodson are one in the same.

Doesn't matter whose era it is, Al is the starter, Zaza is the backup. Josh is the starter, Powell is now the backup. Doesn't matter who coaches, you can only suit 12 guys and there's no reason to make 4 out of that 12 people who play exclusively C, the minutes simply aren't there. I for one wanted Hassan Whiteside more than anything at pick 31, he's a flex big athletic enough to play PF and tall enough to play C and offers a major aspect that we are missing on our bench which is shot blocking. ASG thought otherwise but either way it deosn't make sense to give meaningful minutes to 4 guys at one position especially when one is already an allstar.

• Premium Member

ASG thought otherwise but either way it doesn't make sense to give meaningful minutes to 4 guys at one position especially when one is already an allstar.

Foul trouble and injuries do happen in games so another paint defender wouldn't hurt. Heck he was on the Lakers with Bynum, Gasol, odom and Powell

Foul trouble and injuries do happen in games so another paint defender wouldn't hurt. Heck he was on the Lakers with Bynum, Gasol, odom and Powell

Fact of the matter is we're not going to reach the level of the likes of LA, MIami, Orlando, etc. by signing the players who barely made an impact on their team.

• Premium Member

Fact of the matter is we're not going to reach the level of the likes of LA, MIami, Orlando, etc. by signing the players who barely made an impact on their team.

We only have the MLE to work with, and the best we can offer anyone who we can sign for that is the 3rd spot off our bench. If we want to reach the level of those teams in terms of talent, we need to find a way to make a trade that turns water into wine. That makes us a tough sell to MLE-type free agents - we can offer neither a ton of minutes nor a likely title run.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Why is it all or nothing with you fans??? O.K. we might not win a championship next year but the world is not coming to an end next year either so we have time. Can't you just enjoy this group while they are here? They might just surprise you with the right system in place! Stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

The problem with your thinking is that you expect 3 centers to get injured or fouled out in a row to be a common occurrence enough to not only justify paying but suiting up 4 centers every night. If the bench could play multiple possitions sure but to have all three backups capable of only playing one position on the court doesn't make too much sense to a roster that can't suit more than 12 players by rule and won't carry more than 13 players by cheapness.

Why is it all or nothing with you fans??? O.K. we might not win a championship next year but the world is not coming to an end next year either so we have time. Can't you just enjoy this group while they are here? They might just surprise you with the right system in place! Stranger things have happened.

The world may not end next year but it might end in 2012. :saythat:

On a serious point, I enjoy the group that we have right now, but it all comes down to winning. I enjoy the fact that we are a consistent playoff team now, but the ultimate dream for a fan is for their team to win a championship. If it's not, then what's the point of rooting for them?

• Premium Member

The world may not end next year but it might end in 2012. :saythat:

On a serious point, I enjoy the group that we have right now, but it all comes down to winning. I enjoy the fact that we are a consistent playoff team now, but the ultimate dream for a fan is for their team to win a championship. If it's not, then what's the point of rooting for them?

Do you only root for artist that win the grammys or Academy awards? What about picture of the year? Do you enjoy that more than other films? Of course not! Sports are no different...its all entertainment and I enjoy this group just as much as I enjoyed the 1980 Falcons team because they are entertaining. And to be honest with you, I have also enjoyed watching these guys grow up together more than anything.

Do you only root for artist that win the grammys or Academy awards? What about picture of the year? Do you enjoy that more than other films? Of course not! Sports are no different...its all entertainment and I enjoy this group just as much as I enjoyed the 1980 Falcons team because they are entertaining. And to be honest with you, I have also enjoyed watching these guys grow up together more than anything.

Dumb analogy. First, I'm not saying I won't root for the Hawks if they don't win anything. Heck, they haven't won anything since I've been a fan of them.

You can't compare sports to other sources of entertainment. Sure, sports is in the category of Entertainment, but sports is different than any other because they are competing for something. In the music industry, you want all the awards and accolades but there isn't a competition like the SuperBowl, World Series, NBA Finals, World Cup, etc.

I don't know about that statement. I lot of the times you are only as good as your reserve players because that's who you practice against. I say if they are a ungrade to what you have on the bench, go ahead and sign them. As long as they know their role and get paid accordingly.