• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dikembe: Jersey Retirement?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I know Jordan Crawford plans to wear #53 this season, but I'm wondering aloud whether we can expect the Hawks to retire that jersey number for Dikembe in the next several years. Do you think it will happen? And should it?

We don't have a retired jersey among the post-Nique-era players of the late 1990's (I trust Smitty's will go up as well).

On the downside, he was not around for many seasons (three full seasons, plus one strike-shortened and one half-season), so he's not a career-leader in any Hawks categories. Also, as with the current crew, not much playoff success during his tenure (just a single second-round victory, actually the last one we've had, in Chicago).

On the upside, Deke was, I believe, the last Hawk to get NBA individual season-end awards (a couple DPOYs and the IBM Award) before Jamal this year.

His signature finger wag preceded the Hawks years, but seemed to come into its own as a symbol of the Hawks' defensive reputation during that NBA period.

And his lauded humanitarian work came into focus here, working with CARE and starting up his own foundation here (I believe it's still based here).

~lw3

• Admin

I know Jordan Crawford plans to wear #53 this season, but I'm wondering aloud whether we can expect the Hawks to retire that jersey number for Dikembe in the next several years. Do you think it will happen? And should it?

We don't have a retired jersey among the post-Nique-era players of the late 1990's (I trust Smitty's will go up as well).

On the downside, he was not around for many seasons (three full seasons, plus one strike-shortened and one half-season), so he's not a career-leader in any Hawks categories. Also, as with the current crew, not much playoff success during his tenure (just a single second-round victory, actually the last one we've had, in Chicago).

On the upside, Deke was, I believe, the last Hawk to get NBA individual season-end awards (a couple DPOYs and the IBM Award) before Jamal this year.

His signature finger wag preceded the Hawks years, but seemed to come into its own as a symbol of the Hawks' defensive reputation during that NBA period.

And his lauded humanitarian work came into focus here, working with CARE and starting up his own foundation here (I believe it's still based here).

~lw3

Deke played well for us but he only played 4 and a half seasons as a Hawk. We have only retired Nique, Petit and Hudson (Collier for sentimental reasons). Deke has not had the same impact on the Hawks as those three guys.

I thought Deke wore #55

~lw3

Deke wore #55, not #53.

I don't think anyone deserves the jersey retired after Nique. I'd put Mookie or JJ in before Smitty.

JJ is on his way to getting that honor if he keeps his game for another 3 or 4 years on 50 win teams.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I thought Deke wore #55

Deke wore #55, not #53.

I don't think anyone deserves the jersey retired after Nique. I'd put Mookie or JJ in before Smitty.

JJ is on his way to getting that honor if he keeps his game for another 3 or 4 years on 50 win teams.

Among retired Hawks, my view of the most deserving to have their number retired in Atlanta are:

1) Kevin Willis

2) Mookie Blaylock

3) Steve Smith

4) Doc Rivers

5) Dikembe Mutombo

Willis not getting his number retired is one of those forgotten travesties. He is 3rd all-time in boards, 6th in points, and 4th in games played among Hawks. His 15.5 rpg in 1991-1992 was the highest post-1980 average by anyone not named Rodman (who posted 18.7 rpg that year). He also had by far the best hook shot in Atlanta history; his jump hook was arguably the best in the game this side of Hakeem. He was the key inside player on the "Nique-led" teams, which never would have sniffed 50 wins but for his presence on the boards and in the paint.

Blaylock gets my nod over Smitty because of his tenure with the team, and Smitty gets it over Doc and Deke because there were more dimensions to his game.

Much as I love what he's done for the team, I don't think it's a good idea to talk about whether JJ deserves to be up there until his career is in the books. Don't tempt the fates...

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1