• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks: Larry Drew ditching switches

JTB

Atlanta Hawks: Larry Drew ditching switches

6:00 pm September 6, 2010, by Michael Cunningham

L.D. probably wouldn't consider this a 'switchable switch.'

L.D. probably wouldn't consider this a 'switchable switch.'

(Checking in from a Miami holiday weekend filled with beaches, BBQ and . . . beverages)

We’ve heard about L.D.’s offensive philosophies but what about D? The short answer to what I know is the No. 1 question: Atlanta’s base defense under Drew will not feature switching on all (or most) screens.

But what he hopes to accomplish goes beyond Xs and Os and lineups. L.D. said he wants to develop a true defensive disposition for a team known more for finesse.

“Playing defense, it can be ugly sometimes,” Drew said. “Sometimes guys don’t like to do the ugly stuff, the dirty work stuff. Good defensive teams, their mindset is to go into games and outwork you. They don’t care how they do it. They do whatever it takes to shut you down. They have that aggressive mentality, where each game they go into it thinking ‘I am going lock in on my guy.’ and that works its way to the rest of the guys. You have to have that team concept and that aggressive mentality.”

A fanatical devotion to shutting down opponents is a trait of all true contenders. Atlanta’s lack of that quality has to rank at least alongside strategy and personnel as a major reason the Hawks have been a middling defensive team.

The Hawks ranked 13th in defensive efficiency last season, 11th in 2008-09 and 13th in ‘07-08. They were 24th in defensive rebounding rate in ‘09-10, 24th in ‘08-09 and 26th in ‘07-08. Atlanta’s rank in opponent true shooting percentage was 19th last season, eighth in ‘08-09 and 18th in ‘07-08. You can keep going down the list of ways to measure defensive performance and lately the Hawks rarely ranked in the top 10, never mind the top 5.

Defense is another area where L.D. is going to have to find a way to get more out of the guys he’s got. Changing their mentality is the obvious place to start. Drew has to galvanize a group that wilted so badly against the Magic. He has to help his players reach the “uncomfortable” effort levels that Al said they didn’t reach last spring.

There are familiar questions about Drew’s roster, too. It’s the same group of defenders (with an asterisk next to Jamal’s name) that couldn’t contain the perimeter. It’s still a power rotation that lacks a menacing 7-footer in the middle. It’s the same group that too often looked to Al and Smoove to go to work on the boards.

Does L.D. think he has the horses to play good, tough, straight-up D?

“I think we have the personnel to do it,” he said. “That’s why I use the term ‘accountability.’”

One way to annoy NBA players is to talk to them about defensive “stoppers.” So many times I’ve heard guys, especially guards and wings, scoff at the notion. There is no such thing, they say, because there are too many good offensive players and the hand-check rules make it nearly impossible to stop those kind of guys straight up.

Point taken, and L.D. said it’s one he recognizes. That’s why he said he there will be times when switching and other help-type schemes will be necessary.

“I think you have to make a decision on how you want to guard certain people,” he said. “Certainly game-by-game, adjustments will be made defensively. But you go into the game with the mindset of guarding your own people. I think we are deep enough we can get that kind of defense out of our guys.”

Drew said he doesn’t want that to go so far with tricking up the D that players use it as a crutch. You could see that happen with the Hawks last season. Players became so reliant on the switches that they tended to relax in anticipation of screens. Why fight through picks to stay with your man when he can be always be passed off to a teammate?

“I know exactly what you mean,” L.D. said. “You are not the first person I’ve heard say that. Different coaches have different philosophies on how they do things.”

The switching defense has its advantages. It can be effective against pick-and-rolls. It helped the Hawks cover up some of their limitations (even if it also could create other problems). But I think there is no question that using switches so liberally blunted Atlanta’s defensive aggressiveness.

Getting away from the switches is a matter of strategy for Drew, whose goal is for the Hawks to make only what he calls the “switchable switches” that don’t leave them in clearly bad matchups But ditching switches also is a matter of mindset.

“We need guys locking in and focusing on what the defense calls for,” Drew said. “We have the tools for it. We have some areas where got to get better at, but I think overall we have the tools to be a good defensive team. That is the challenge I am going to put to the guys.”

– Nothing new on the Jamal front. He still wants either a satisfactory contract extension or a trade but the Hawks still haven’t indicated if he will get either.

– French club Le Havre announced on its Web site that it has completed a buyout of Pape Sy’s contract. The Hawks haven’t received the paperwork and so don’t consider the deal to be official but they are optimistic there will be no snags.

Edited by JTB

In my 39 years of being a basketball fan, player, coach, I have always observed, been told and taught that solid defense begins and ends with getting inside the other person's comfort zone and agitating the snot out of your own man. Never have I seen a lack of accountability been employed. "That is your man, stick with him" is the hallmark of any good coach. This is great news. Even if it's just lip service, it's better than saying "don't worry, you don't have to guard your man, just pass him to Josh and Al".

The biggest change that LD has to make is attitude. And he talking about the right things. Now we will see if he holds to his guns. He's not the one with the huge contract we will see how much power he has.

You're right. But it is Sund and management to support LD. Sund and ownership has to make it clear (their full support) no one is above the coach. All are expendable and will be dealt with accordingly. That's how to keep their attentions.

• Premium Member

In my 39 years of being a basketball fan, player, coach, I have always observed, been told and taught that solid defense begins and ends with getting inside the other person's comfort zone and agitating the snot out of your own man. Never have I seen a lack of accountability been employed. "That is your man, stick with him" is the hallmark of any good coach. This is great news. Even if it's just lip service, it's better than saying "don't worry, you don't have to guard your man, just pass him to Josh and Al".

As a astudent of the game and a Hawks Historian, I have to bring up Lenny's Hawks.

Wilkens divised a strategy that I think was great. He had Mookie and Smitty to funnel their men down the middle where Deke was waiting. Mookie was a good enough on ball defender to force the action. Zones were not allowed so each man was accountable (to some extent) but the premise of the defense is to get the other team to shoot over Deke. Usually Corbin and Hendu could play the passing lanes OK. The weak point of the defense was Hendu and Smitty. Smitty's knees made him a weaker defender but he was crafty enough to get his defender to go where he wanted them to unless it was Reggie, MJ, or Dumars. Mookie worked on most small guards but had trouble directing big guys like Derrick Harper. I always liked Lenny's defense and his motion offense. His gameplanning made things easier.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

LD is definitely on the right track. Our attitude is job one. We have a bunch of lazy guys who don't fight through picks who won't set good picks, who don't box out, who don't play real team defense. They play help defense, but not a team defense where you are held accountable. The icing on the top of the cake is getting a tough guy like Thomas. If LD uses his bench well and Thomas gets some run, we have a big who is a bruiser. We need that. We need that Rick Mahorn cat who is just looking to rebound, lean on people, and put an elbow into somebody's side most of the game. I'm excited. My hopes are up becuase as I said in the other post, this is not Woody pt 7.

• Like 1

Wilkens divised a strategy that I think was great. He had Mookie and Smitty to funnel their men down the middle where Deke was waiting. Mookie was a good enough on ball defender to force the action. Zones were not allowed so each man was accountable (to some extent) but the premise of the defense is to get the other team to shoot over Deke. Usually Corbin and Hendu could play the passing lanes OK. The weak point of the defense was Hendu and Smitty. Smitty's knees made him a weaker defender but he was crafty enough to get his defender to go where he wanted them to unless it was Reggie, MJ, or Dumars. Mookie worked on most small guards but had trouble directing big guys like Derrick Harper. I always liked Lenny's defense and his motion offense. His gameplanning made things easier.

Just to piggy back on this:

Lenny's strategy fit his personel. He has the luxury of having 2 of the best defensive players on his roster of that era.Lenny had the best defensive center of the 90's and the best (or 2nd best behind Payton) defensive PG on the 90's. Mookie was excellent at full court ball pressure and was allowed to play super aggressive since Mutumbo had his back. The allowed Mookie to be one of the best at SPG of all time.

Strategy most match personell.

• Like 1

LD is definitely on the right track. Our attitude is job one. We have a bunch of lazy guys who don't fight through picks who won't set good picks, who don't box out, who don't play real team defense. They play help defense, but not a team defense where you are held accountable. The icing on the top of the cake is getting a tough guy like Thomas. If LD uses his bench well and Thomas gets some run, we have a big who is a bruiser. We need that. We need that Rick Mahorn cat who is just looking to rebound, lean on people, and put an elbow into somebody's side most of the game. I'm excited. My hopes are up becuase as I said in the other post, this is not Woody pt 7.

Marvin and Zaza get confused in PnR some times and Smith, if he's not directly involved, all behold. Al does what he has to do but Joe needs to do it on a regular basis and Bibby and Teague aren't capable. It seems good in idea but I'll wait since the personnel isn't that great in other systems.

• Premium Member

Just to piggy back on this:

Lenny's strategy fit his personel. He has the luxury of having 2 of the best defensive players on his roster of that era.Lenny had the best defensive center of the 90's and the best (or 2nd best behind Payton) defensive PG on the 90's. Mookie was excellent at full court ball pressure and was allowed to play super aggressive since Mutumbo had his back. The allowed Mookie to be one of the best at SPG of all time.

Strategy most match personell.

I don't disagree at all. I was just retorting there. Not every defense is the same. Sometimes you can play one way and acheive victory based on personnel. Do I think we have the personnel, required to play Lenny's way? No. I do think we can be a lot tougher and less lazy than we have been. I really hope that this lack of lazy comes primarily from LD not being afraid to use his bench.

Teams with depth can play at a high level defensively. I think we have depth, we just have to cultivate it.

Marvin and Zaza get confused in PnR some times and Smith, if he's not directly involved, all behold. Al does what he has to do but Joe needs to do it on a regular basis and Bibby and Teague aren't capable. It seems good in idea but I'll wait since the personnel isn't that great in other systems.

The easiest thing to do in basketball is be lazy. The problem is that Lazy doesn't win championships.

• Like 1

As was said, it's easy to game plan when you have Deke and Mookie. We, as it seems, have the exact opposite...A PF playing C, although a good defensive PF and the worst defensive starting PG in the league. Kinda hard to game plan that one. Good LD, at least you're not going to go down doing the same ol same ol.

On another note, good thing we got rid of that defensive minded coach lol.

My greatest fear with Drew was that he'd continue Woodson's stubbornness, but I'm thrilled that he has at least been talking like the anti-Woodson. I think we all realize the shortcomings he has with his personnel, but he still needs to find a way to maximize the talent.

Hopefully we won't rely so heavily on Joe's offense and he has enough motivation from being paid more than LeBron and Wade to turn up his defensive intensity. We have seen him play stud defense when he wants to, but we rarely see that desire.

I hate to make any sort of political metaphor on hawksquawk.... but to me it is hard to not notice the similarities to LD and Obama. Both men seem to tell everyone just what they want to hear to get the job. Hopefully LD comes through on his word more than the latter.

• Like 1