• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did the Falcons make a mistake with Ryan.

Wurider05

His pre-season was horrible and he does not have a strong arm. I keep watching them do the same thing little dump passes for 3-7 yards. Then when they get into the endzone that crap doesn't work. We are on the hook for alot of money for this guy it so far appears to be just average. Michael Turner was responsible for the success when he was a rookie and you saw he he looked without Michael Turner last year.

I haven't seen anything from him that tells me he will be some kind of superstar. Maybe this is the year but I just feel that he is getting alot of accolades and hype when he hasn't done anything to warrant it. I bet if Redman was our starter there would be very little if any drop off.

I am a die hard Falcons (me and my wife) but I just don't know about Matt Ryan.

His pre-season was horrible and he does not have a strong arm. I keep watching them do the same thing little dump passes for 3-7 yards. Then when they get into the endzone that crap doesn't work. We are on the hook for alot of money for this guy it so far appears to be just average. Michael Turner was responsible for the success when he was a rookie and you saw he he looked without Michael Turner last year.

I haven't seen anything from him that tells me he will be some kind of superstar. Maybe this is the year but I just feel that he is getting alot of accolades and hype when he hasn't done anything to warrant it. I bet if Redman was our starter there would be very little if any drop off.

His rookie year was off the charts. He regressed a bit last year but the whole team was out of sync due to injuries and Turner's poor conditioning. I expect big things this year; if not, I would start worrying at the end of the year. Some great former QBs and people who would know better than you or I are on board with Ryan. I'm willing to give it some time to play out.

No way. Ryan will probably put up a season closer to his rookie year than his 2nd year, and it's always possible he will go beyond that and put up a monster year. I'm not expecting that. The truth about QB's is that it frequently takes them 5 years to reach their prime, and in some cases longer. Ryan is franchise QB, and while he may not ever be in the Brees, Brady, Manning category, he will still be a top tier potential probowl QB in the NFL. That is worth the 10-12 million per year we are paying him. QB is just far too important a position to go with less. Remember, he is the first QB in franchise history who has led us to consecutive winning seasons, and that includes a season in which his star RB was injured (Chris Chandler couldn't do that). This is a franchise that has had good QB's, too. Bartkowski, Miller, Chandler, and Vick were not jokes, and George and Hebert were solid for a time. None of those guys did what Ryan did in his first 2 seasons

We are lucky to have Matt Ryan. You know what Brady, Manning, and Brees have in common ? They all throw to the check down reciever when that is what the defense gives them.

They go with the high % play.

I laugh at the weak arm crap. He had only 1 deep threat last year. His O-line was ravaged, and the top 2 RBs missed a ton of time.

In his first 2 seasons the Falcons are 11-5 and 9-7. He missed some games last year and played with turf toe which really hurts in QBs foot work / accuracy. I expect Matty Ice to break out his year and for the Falcons to win 10 games at a minimum.

Edited by coachx

I'm kind on the fence with this one Wur. He's certainly no John Elway...but who is? I think there would be an appreciable droppoff if we went with Redman...but that's not saying all that much either.

Thing is - there are SO many strong armed QBs that can't hit targets. Ryan can (at shortish range).

Do I think we are over-paying at the QB position?...yep.

Do I think we could be doing worse?...yep :kickcan:

I am telling you guys that he is going to have a below average season. He played horrible in the pre-season.

I hate how Matt Ryan gets all the credit for all the success. Ryan has not lead us anywhere. I would make the argument that Michael Turner/running game is more valuable to this team than Ryan. Ryan looks good when the running game is strong but it comes down to him winning the game on his own we are in trouble. Now I Iike Ryan but he just has Joey Harrington written all over him. Average at best.

Edited by Wurider05

I am telling you guys that he is going to have a below average season. He played horrible in the pre-season.

I hate how Matt Ryan gets all the credit for all the success. Ryan has not lead us anywhere. I would make the argument that Michael Turner/running game is more valuable to this team than Ryan. Ryan looks good when the running game is strong but it comes down to him winning the game on his own we are in trouble. Now I Iike Ryan but he just has Joey Harrington written all over him. Average at best.

Underwhelming performance today. The outs and curls will only work for so long, you have to stretch the field occasionally. I feel like he gets locked into a guy a lot of times and misses guys that are open because he doesn't make it through progressions. The Steelers were also jumping the snaps today and I didn't hear one hard count from Ryan, which he has been quite good with in the past, keeping blitzers honest.

It certainly isn't helping that the running game has not been what it was in his rookie year, but he has not made the progress over the last 17 games (since the playoff loss) that I had hoped for.

I would make the argument that Michael Turner/running game is more valuable to this team than Ryan. .

Turner was substandard last year and was crap today, although admittedly there weren't many holes. Pitt is a good defense but the Birds were inept for most of the day, with Turner plodding East-West and tripping over the line of scrimmage.

Underwhelming performance today. The outs and curls will only work for so long, you have to stretch the field occasionally. I feel like he gets locked into a guy a lot of times and misses guys that are open because he doesn't make it through progressions. The Steelers were also jumping the snaps today and I didn't hear one hard count from Ryan, which he has been quite good with in the past, keeping blitzers honest.

It certainly isn't helping that the running game has not been what it was in his rookie year, but he has not made the progress over the last 17 games (since the playoff loss) that I had hoped for.

Turner was substandard last year and was crap today, although admittedly there weren't many holes. Pitt is a good defense but the Birds were inept for most of the day, with Turner plodding East-West and tripping over the line of scrimmage.

Just how is Ryan supposed to go deep when he's got pressure on him all day? To go deep you have to pass block. The real problem with the Falcons is not Ryan or Turner is a terrible offensive line. They are simply AWFUL.

Ryan hit some very nice passes today. The INT in the 4th was awful though. He has got to stop staring at his receiver.

Just how is Ryan supposed to go deep when he's got pressure on him all day? To go deep you have to pass block. The real problem with the Falcons is not Ryan or Turner is a terrible offensive line. They are simply AWFUL.

Ryan hit some very nice passes today. The INT in the 4th was awful though. He has got to stop staring at his receiver.

Fair enough, the birds were dominated up front, but even when the blitzes were picked up he still was missing guys that were open because he was locked in.

And Turner was slooooow to the holes, although there weren't many. He will be effective in games where we can make and hold creases, but in these types of games you have to hit the line hard and fast and try to get your four or five and get into 2nd and manageable.

Edited by jhay610
  • Like 1

For a slow dude, anyone else notice Turner was standing a lot further back in the backfield on running plays than he needs to? Dude was like at least 7 yds from scrimmage. And Ryan need to develop that "pump fake move" to be a good quarterback. Against a good safety you can't stare down a receiver all day long. At least spread it around.

The offensive line isn't very good, and that will make a back like Turner look sub-par. He's a 4-yard-per-carry back with an average line. I think the OL is even "coached-up" a little, and they still are lousy. Sam Baker is a huge disappointment, and I actually think his plays in the 2nd half may have cost us the game. He had the one big hold that cost us a possession, but he also let Matty get hurried too many times. It killed at least 3 drives by my count.

1. Lost a tough game to Pitt in Steele Town.

2. Played against a top 3 defense.

3. Compare Ryan's Week #1 to the other young QBs. Did any one see Sanchez and Flacco struggle big time vs. the other defenses in the top 3 ? Sanchez only converted one 3rd down all game and made some bone head plays in the red zone. Flacco fumbled the ball b/c he held it to long on the 1st play. Then Flacco threw and interception in the red zone. Flacco then over threw Heap, causing Heap to injure himself. Mean while Matt Stafford got hurt. Matt Ryan is still the best QB to come out in the last 4 or 5 years.

4. The best safety in the game made an All Pro play in over time. Kudos to him.

5. The home team went 11-5 for the NFL's opening week. This just goes to show how hard it is to win on the road in week 1.

News flash !

The runnning game was 10X worse then the passing game in week 1. We should be worried about Turner and the O-Line. Nothing to worry about with Ryan. If we start getting more then 60 yards a game on the ground then the passing game will open up. Hard to stretch the field without a running threat. The Steelers, Jets, and Ravens have elite defense. The Viking will to when their CBs get healthy. You should not judge guys based on 1 game vs. 1 of these elite defenses.

Now lets stop the over reacting and enjoy a great season we have ahead. The Falcons will probably be 1-2 to start the year b.c the play the Saints in NO in week 3. They should still finish with 9 to 11 wins.

Edited by coachx

For a slow dude, anyone else notice Turner was standing a lot further back in the backfield on running plays than he needs to? Dude was like at least 7 yds from scrimmage. And Ryan need to develop that "pump fake move" to be a good quarterback. Against a good safety you can't stare down a receiver all day long. At least spread it around.

It takes most guys 7 yards to get up to full speed. The closer you get to the line of scrimmage, the slower you will be going when you cross the line of scrimmage. Turner was tip-toeing a bit too much but the whole point is to have the ability,to have time enough, to accelerate to full speed when crossing the line of scrimmage (if the blocking allows for it). Of course many times the back has to wait on the blockers to open up holes. Unfortunately that is tough to do vs. a healthy Steelers defense.

The running game did look much worse then the passing game. Hopefully both look better vs. a Cardinals defense that has lost LB/Dansby, S/ Rolle, among others over the last year.

It takes most guys 7 yards to get up to full speed. The closer you get to the line of scrimmage, the slower you will be going when you cross the line of scrimmage....

Does this bother anybody else - or is it just me?

When the QB gets the snap and the RB is going off tackle or even past that - some QBs hold the ball out to them so obviously. It's like they are sticking it on a tee-ball stand. All the defensive players see that and they are fast to react.

What happened to the days when the QB MOVED and made the handoff at least a bit hard to see.

Granted that if the blocks are there it might not matter for a teeny bit - but the offside LBs see this and collapse. If you are an awesome serving tennis player you can just hold the ball out there and slowly toss it up since you will be hitting it 130 mph.

Does this bother anybody else - or is it just me?

When the QB gets the snap and the RB is going off tackle or even past that - some QBs hold the ball out to them so obviously. It's like they are sticking it on a tee-ball stand. All the defensive players see that and they are fast to react.

What happened to the days when the QB MOVED and made the handoff at least a bit hard to see.

Granted that if the blocks are there it might not matter for a teeny bit - but the offside LBs see this and collapse. If you are an awesome serving tennis player you can just hold the ball out there and slowly toss it up since you will be hitting it 130 mph.

When done correctly it is too scheme and set up a play action play later in the game.

David Green was a great at that in college. The Arkansas QB did great job with that and burned UGA for a 70 yard TD for his first of the game.

Hold that ball out the 3rd time and then fake the hand off to an over agressive LB or S jumps the wrong way and BOOM goes the dynamite !

When done correctly it is too scheme and set up a play action play later in the game.

David Green was a great at that in college. The Arkansas QB did great job with that and burned UGA for a 70 yard TD for his first of the game.

Hold that ball out the 3rd time and then fake the hand off to an over agressive LB or S jumps the wrong way and BOOM goes the dynamite !

Yeah coachx - good point

It takes most guys 7 yards to get up to full speed. The closer you get to the line of scrimmage, the slower you will be going when you cross the line of scrimmage. Turner was tip-toeing a bit too much but the whole point is to have the ability,to have time enough, to accelerate to full speed when crossing the line of scrimmage (if the blocking allows for it). Of course many times the back has to wait on the blockers to open up holes. Unfortunately that is tough to do vs. a healthy Steelers defense.

The running game did look much worse then the passing game. Hopefully both look better vs. a Cardinals defense that has lost LB/Dansby, S/ Rolle, among others over the last year.

Warrick Dunn is now on ESPN's weekday College Football show. They were talking to him about how Alabama is copying Nevada's offense by running spread formations with there RBs lined up 7 yards back as if in a "power running formation."

Not only does lining 2 yards farther back allow the RB more time to accelerate......it also allows a RB more room to make a cut to find the hole. The closer to the line of scrimmage the RB is lined up, the more drastic and sharp the cut he will have to make to find a hole. If he lines up a couple of yards further back, then the cut to get to that same hole will not be as sharp and be easier to make.

It was good hearing this straight from Dunn's mouth. He was a cerebral back that did not just power his way for 4 yards. Dunn was 1 of he best at finding the hole.