• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Carmelo Anthony

reeballin4

We could package Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Mo Evans, and some picks for Anthony and a few more Nuggets players such as JR Smith and Nene. Both Crawford and Mo have contracts that are expiring. However, Melo and Jr Smith both have expiring contracts but this deal makes sense for both teams. The Nuggets receive a young star in Smoove and two good bench players who can contribute. I am a big Smoove fan, he's my favorite player on this team but in order to bring a championship to Atl this is the right move in taking a step closer. Melo would obviously work well with JJ and Horford. JR Smith would take Jamal Crawford's role as the offensive sparkplug off the bench and add more consistent 3pt shooting. Horford would then be able to play PF with Nene playing center. The bench is left with Jordan Crawford, Teague/Bibby, Zaza, Marvin, who could play 3 and 4 depending on whether melo or horford is off the floor, and Thomas.

Teague/Bibby/Sy

JJ/JR/JC

Melo/Marv

Horford/Zaza

Nene/Etan

• Admin

To give up an important piece, Melo would have to do a sign and trade with us.

Marketing wise I think it would be a great pickup for us. Joe, Melo and Horford would be an excellent trio. Teague would really need to step up his game.

That being said, he has never listed us as a place he wants to come to. He wants to go to the big market teams (NY / NJ area or Chicago).

• Premium Member

From ESPN:

Several league sources on Monday told ESPN.com that they believe the Nets have emerged as the front runner to secure Anthony. Not only is Anthony willing to sign a contract extension with the Nets, sources say the club is willing to make an intriguing offer of Derrick Favors (the No. 3 pick in this year's draft), the expiring contracts of Troy Murphy and Kris Humphries and at least one future first-round pick to Denver to land Anthony.

A number of others teams including the Knicks, Bulls, Rockets, Clippers and Warriors have been pursuing Anthony as well. However, sources on several of those teams were pessimistic that they could match what the Nets have to offer.

Isn't this exactly what we were talking about last week? This is something Hawks fans have suffered through for as long as I can remember. It is never us...lol.

The NETS...lol THE NETS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Not only that, but they say Anthony is willing to sign there. Why is the question. Why don't they talk about us? It's always somebody else.

I mean, come on man...

Can we just get our freaggin' NAME in the damn discussions!?!?

On the bright side though...we MIGHT be a sleeper for this guy:

25_Erick_Dampier-Mavericks_Media_Day_10-2-06-003071-03071.jpg

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHNAP!!!rap.gif

• Like 1

lol smh that is sad that he has the nets and clippers listed but u cant blame him, look at our ownership. however, atl is a very good marketable area known for its hiphop and nightlife, which he has interests in music (i think he has his own label) and his wife could mesh down here. the trio of melo jj and horford would only make teague better and nene is no scrub he dunks almost everything and plays hard.

• Admin

Isn't this exactly what we were talking about last week? This is something Hawks fans have suffered through for as long as I can remember. It is never us...lol.

The NETS...lol THE NETS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Not only that, but they say Anthony is willing to sign there. Why is the question. Why don't they talk about us? It's always somebody else.

I mean, come on man...

Can we just get our freaggin' NAME in the damn discussions!?!?

Well you underline the Clippers. They are in LA and actually do have a lot of talent. They just have no chemistry. The Nets have Brook Lopez, a lot of cap space, Favors and Devin Harris, they are moving to Brooklyn not to mention they have a new billion dollar owner who wants to see them succeed. He wants to be in the big markets.

• Moderators

Well you underline the Clippers. They are in LA and actually do have a lot of talent. They just have no chemistry. The Nets have Brook Lopez, a lot of cap space, Favors and Devin Harris, they are moving to Brooklyn not to mention they have a new billion dollar owner who wants to see them succeed. He wants to be in the big markets.

The LAC have the worst track record of ownership and management in league history. The Nets wouldn't have Favors as they would give him up to get Carmelo. I understand being annoyed at not being viewed in the same light as those franchises.

If it is purely a matter of the size of the media market, then LA and NY clearly outshine us. That said, we are still a bigger media market than Boston, for example:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5490338/top_15_media_markets_in_the_us.html?cat=7

• Like 1

• Admin

The LAC have the worst track record of ownership and management in league history. The Nets wouldn't have Favors as they would give him up to get Carmelo. I understand being annoyed at not being viewed in the same light as those franchises.

If it is purely a matter of the size of the media market, then LA and NY clearly outshine us. That said, we are still a bigger media market than Boston, for example:

http://www.associate...e_us.html?cat=7

Boston has an extremely rich sports history for all of its teams and probably the best fans outside of the Green Bay packers

from realgm's board

To Brooklyn Nets

Carmelo Anthony (Nuggets)

Mmmike Bibbbee (Hawks)

Mo Evans (Hawks)

Jordan "I Dunked On The King" Crawford (Hawks)

Arron Affalo (Nuggets) (doesnt have to be added to trade to work)

To Nuggets

Jeff Teague (Hawks)

Derrick Favors (Nets)

Troy Murphy expiring (Nets)

Terrance"Lebron" Williams (Nets)

Jamal Crawford expiring (Hawks)

To Hawks

Chauncee Bbbbbbillupss (Nuggets)

Birdman (Nuggets)

Hump man scrub dude (Nets)

Renaldo Balkman (Nuggets)

Quinton Ross (Nets)

I don't like giving up young JC but it gets us out from under Bibby's deal. I wonder if Teague could be kept as well.

• Premium Member

http://www.associate...e_us.html?cat=7

...and not only would the nets lose Favors, but...well...they're the NETS. Y'know, there are only so many superstar slots available for so many mega-market teams (Speaking of LA and NY of course). Atlanta though, is not a bad market for basketball - not by any stretch of the imagination. The bottom line is that at some point or another every team in the league will figured out how to become more than just associated with the NBA. They have found a way to become RELEVANT.

Atlanta, in it's 40 or so years of NBA basketball, has not. As a fan of 25 years, I will not cut any excuses for the failures of our ownership groups. A culture change in Atlanta is LONG overdue and somebody in our front office needs to make something happen. Just getting our name associated with this Carmelo thing (or CP or anyone else for that matter) is a good start - because I'd trade any of the guys we have here to get him as would anyone on this board.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Pardon my bias, but I think what I posted a few days ago makes the most sense...

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/351849-using-the-melo-situation-to-our-advantage/page__pid__474059#entry474059

To LAC

SF Anthony (from DEN)

C Andersen (from DEN)

C Pachulia (from ATL)

To DEN

G Jamal Crawford (from ATL)

PG Bibby (from ATL)

G-F Evans (from ATL)

F Aminu (from LAC)

PF Griffin (from LAC)

1st Round Pick (from MIN through LAC)

To ATL

PG Billups (from DEN)

C Kaman (from LAC)

Why LAC does it...

Melo. Enough said. LAC gains its superstar and likely two national TV pairings with the Kobe/Melo battle making headlines. But along with that is the prospect that Melo may be one of the very few NBA players inclined to play for Sterling's franchise long-term, since he his wife evidently is based there and since he plays a position that will not be lending itself to joining the Lakers at any point in the future.

The price of making the deal is mostly the sacrifice of Griffin and a #1 pick that is likely to evolve into a player of some significance, and to a lesser degree Kaman and Aminu. DeAndre Jordan, Chris Andersen, and ZaZa Pachulia will roam the low-post with support from Ryan Gomes and Craig Smith. Not spectacular, but adequate.

Why DEN does it...

If news reports are accurate, and they probably are, I'd say there's everything to like about this deal. They get quite a haul in terms of young talent, draft picks, and expirings: the number 1 pick from 09, the number 8 pick from 10, a future #1, and then some significant cap room for next off-season, adding about $13 mil to about $17 million coming off from Kenyon Martin's expiring.

The price of making the deal is losing Melo, and with him, any particular expectation for 2010-11. As a consequence, they also have less use for Chauncey Billups' and his $13 mil contract for 2 more years, particularly since they have Ty Lawson ready to assume the reins. In my estimation, tney are very content to exchange Billups minutes and contract for Bibby's.

Why ATL does it....

The time is now, and a significant move like this has become even more necessary given how the ante has went up in the South Division over this off-season. As a result of this move, the Hawks will start four guys with All-Star Game experience, plus another (Smoove) who likely will be in the ASG very soon if the trend continues for him.

Billups may be in his sunset years, but even so, he is an upgrade over Bibby and lessens the pressure to get Teague significant minutes. And just as importantly, ATL gains a center who is an NBA quality center who can score and defend at a high level. Both are All-Stars, and Billups is a guy with leadership qualities that would be meaningful for the Hawks. And they do this with minimal impact on their core rotation.

Beyond the talent, both players have two years left on their current contracts, which conceivably gives Sund some additional flexibility in dealing with the Horford conundrum.

Edited by sturt

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5490338/top_15_media_markets_in_the_us.html?cat=7

we're the clippers of east?

• Moderators

we're the clippers of east?

We're not close to that level, IMO.

We've made the playoffs the last three consecutive years and won 53 games last season.

The last time the Clippers made the playoffs 3 consecutive years was 1976.

The last time the Clippers won 53 games in a season was...never. They have never won 50 games in a season. Ever.

We don't even need to note that Clippers have made the playoffs 7 out of 40 seasons compared to the Hawks making it 24 out of 40 times in that same time period.

Nobody is close to the level of Clippers futility.

They have an ethically challenged cheapskate as owner that would make anyone appreciate Michael Gearon and co.

We just should never be in the same sentence as the Clippers.

• Premium Member

im liking these scenarios you guys are posting. i hope we actually make a move to get better or possibly elite!

And I'm liking what I'm reading on the Denver Post site: speculation from the beat writer that a third team is quite possibly going to be needed, and talk by a columnist that the team should be willing to part with Melo and anyone not named Nene, including Billups who I've put forward in the trade idea above.