• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lets not overreact to one game

capstone21

I'm still waiting for the team to play Orlando to judge the new system. That's the only team in the east that can give the Hawks real problems.

Even it's one game, one thing's for sure and that's Billy Knight was right all along in wanting to replace Woody with LD 2 years ago.

Edited by Playa

Zach played about as much relevant mins as Al. Gasol was out but he never plays us well. Take it for what it's worth but the Hawks played a lot like the Sacramento Kings when they had C-Webb last night with the fluid passing and quickness off screens as a team. That's why I am excited.

• Premium Member

I don't need to see us against Orlando or any big time team.

...and I'm not overreacting to one game. Honestly, I don't give a sh!t about the win. The win is nice, but we could have lost that game by a dozen and I'd still be smiling ear to ear after watching all that ball movement and watching straight up D. They played the way I have wanted to see this team play FOREVER...making me wish Chill was still here (but *sigh* anyways...).

The thing that may be getting overlooked by some is the fact that EVERYONE got involved. There was great spacing all game long, and people were moving all over the place. Guys had PERMISSION to shoot and guys who normally dribble until the cows came home PASSED the ball. ISO is fine sometimes, but we have a team full of players that can attack from anywhere. If we can just get Smoove to bring it inside and stay off the perimeter...and if Al gets going again (or dear God actually IMPROVES!), we will have great post season. I still think it's going to take a month or two, and I don't know how these guys are going to react to LD under adversity (or a major injury). But by mid-season, we are going to be TOUGH.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is I would really like to see JJ away from the ball more. If we could get a guy like Crawford, Teague, or Marvin to force teams to react to them...it would leave JJ wide open. And if he's running around wearing his defender out? Man, I'm really excited about this offense. Not so much LD, because honestly everybody and their grandma could see what our biggest flaw was.

• Like 1

I don't need to see us against Orlando or any big time team.

...and I'm not overreacting to one game. Honestly, I don't give a sh!t about the win. The win is nice, but we could have lost that game by a dozen and I'd still be smiling ear to ear after watching all that ball movement and watching straight up D. They played the way I have wanted to see this team play FOREVER...making me wish Chill was still here (but *sigh* anyways...).

The thing that may be getting overlooked by some is the fact that EVERYONE got involved. There was great spacing all game long, and people were moving all over the place. Guys had PERMISSION to shoot and guys who normally dribble until the cows came home PASSED the ball. ISO is fine sometimes, but we have a team full of players that can attack from anywhere. If we can just get Smoove to bring it inside and stay off the perimeter...and if Al gets going again (or dear God actually IMPROVES!), we will have great post season. I still think it's going to take a month or two, and I don't know how these guys are going to react to LD under adversity (or a major injury). But by mid-season, we are going to be TOUGH.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is I would really like to see JJ away from the ball more. If we could get a guy like Crawford, Teague, or Marvin to force teams to react to them...it would leave JJ wide open. And if he's running around wearing his defender out? Man, I'm really excited about this offense. Not so much LD, because honestly everybody and their grandma could see what our biggest flaw was.

The win is irrelavant, except for it was the first win - game - of the year, and everyone wants to get off on the right foot. But I hear ya, with 82 games, it is really insignificant looking at the whole picture. It's so nice to see the same talent, the same faces, the same players aka. "core", doing something 100% different than what we've done for the last five years with the same dude's, its refreshing. I know it's only one game, and we could fall flat on our faces, but it was apparent we hit the ceiling with our team under Woody...give credit to the owners for realizing that, and making the change while were still fairly young, talented, and giving this fan base a new life with same guys. I love the players we have, and thankful they're still here with the chance to compete with the big boys with a whole different angle. It's exciting. That said, on to game two.

• Like 1

Why the heck not? We overreact to one loss, so why not to a win? :)

Just wait till our first blowout loss for a 360 turnaround on this board.

It is nice to have a day of pleasantries though :)

Didn't you know? Negativity is the only acceptable emotion.

Seriously though it's not even about the win/loss column. We padded plenty of wins under Mike Woodson. But those wins came at the expense of the team's ceiling because of the way he logged such heavy minutes for Joe JOhnson, the way he refused to let Jeff Teague or any young PG go through growing pains, etc

Its not so much the result but HOW we got the result which makes this season look so promising.

Ball movement? Check

Elimination of always switching defense? Check

Rewarding bench players for solid play? CHeck

Actually giving young PG PT? Check

These are factors that LD promised would change and he's delivered.

So why should we curb our enthusiasm given those facts?

• Like 2

The Hawks have always played tremendously well when the ball is moving. The problem is in the past the movement never lasted very long. Being promised movement all offseason and then seeing it come to fruition in the first game is something to be excited about. They could look awful in Philly, but until then Drew is batting .1000.

The Hawks have always played tremendously well when the ball is moving. The problem is in the past the movement never lasted very long. Being promised movement all offseason and then seeing it come to fruition in the first game is something to be excited about. They could look awful in Philly, but until then Drew is batting .1000.

Exactly. What gave LD a chance as a head coach was his presentation of this motion offense probably more than anything. And seeing the team actually buy into the concept and have success, we have nothing but enthusiasm

Can't wait to see it again tonight

• Moderators

Hopefully this team remembers their last trip to the Illadelph... two nights after a Josh tip-in to finally beat dreaded Orlando and keep us in the division hunt, only to play lackluster against a 26-46 Philly team they all thought would have laid down for them. Poor Steve Holman almost quit that day. Regardless of the outcome, let's hope we don't overreact to this game, either.

~lw3