• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al: Will He or Won't He?

lethalweapon3

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

So, does Al get his desired contract extension by Monday's deadline? Or will the A$G simply elect to play The RFA Game as they did with the Joshes a couple years ago?

If yes, how much? (I'm assuming over 5 years) As a frame of reference, Oden understandably won't get one, KD got 5 years/$85 million over the summer, and Noah got 5 years/$60 million earlier this month.

Horford has said all along he’s not sure what’s going to happen but would like an extension...

“I am positive and hopeful that we can get something done,” he said. “I love being here and I hope that I can stay here for a long time.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/10/29/atlanta-hawks-hawks-at-sixers-and-al-horfords-big-contract-weekend/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

~lw3

If I had any info on what the team has on the table I'd be better able to say whether Al accepts it, if the ASG are lowballing him with a token contract offer fully expecting to let RFA dictate what he gets or if Al just wants to test free agency regardless. I haven't read anything on what he wants either, with Noah I think reports had the bulls offering 57, him wanting 65 but they settled on 60.

I'll just point out once again that there are no guarantees that Horford will be a RFA when he becomes a Free Agent under the new CBA. Thats how Orlando lost Shaq- he was supposed to be a RFA when he signed his contract but with a new CBA he was made unrestricted. No one expects RFA to disappear but if the league is gearing up for a big fight then no one has any idea what to expect from the new agreement. And if the union decertifies then restricted free agency would likely be eliminated.

Also remember that if Horford doesn't sign a contract then he would be free to sign overseas. This would likely keep him off of the Hawks roster for a year and unless the rules change he would still count as a max contract against the cap.

Personally I don't think the ASG will give him a contract extension. They have shown an inclination to play hardball with players in his situation and I think Horford has enough nice options that he will choose to keep his options open.

Edited by spotatl

I'll just point out once again that there are no guarantees that Horford will be a RFA when he becomes a Free Agent under the new CBA. Thats how Orlando lost Shaq- he was supposed to be a RFA when he signed his contract but with a new CBA he was made unrestricted. No one expects RFA to disappear but if the league is gearing up for a big fight then no one has any idea what to expect from the new agreement. And if the union decertifies then restricted free agency would likely be eliminated.

You know you keep saying this, but I don't think you have your facts straight. Name of external link

Shaq played for years with Orlando and this article states that the collective bargaining agreement already said players would become free agents after 3 years. Do you have a source that says otherwise? Because I can't find it.

sultan- Shaq was drafted in 1992- it was the 1995 CBA referenced in the article that made him an unrestricted free agent when under the previous system he was supposed to be a restricted free agent. (Shaq went to the lakers in 96) in 1995 there was an offseason lockout and the players took steps to decertify the union. And once again this offseason there is likely to be a lockout and the players will take steps to decertify the union so no one has any idea what the new agreement will be.

Edited by spotatl

Jul 1, 1996 - The NBA is about to launch the greatest spending spree in the history of professional sports. More than 150 players will go on the market a week from Tuesday in ... Then, because the new agreement abolished restricted free-agency, a bonus group of players were granted their freedom. ...

From Austin American-Statesman : Money will change everything in NBA - Related web pages

docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/AASB/lib00061 ...

click

Edited by exodus

The decertification of the union is the big topic that I haven't seen discussed many places. The NFL players are already voting on authorization to decertify the union because they think it puts them in such a strong position. And in this situation the owners are basically trying to get the players to agree to a system to prevent owners from making dumb decisions- but I don't see why players would sign an overly restrictive CBA instead of just decertifying. If the union were to decertify then things like a salary cap and restricted free agency would probably not be allowed.

Edited by spotatl

I hope we get something done today. I am not liking the chances of anything getting done.

On a bit of side note. Send Horford tweets encouraging him to get a deal done today. Maybe it will help.

http://twitter.com/Al_Horford

LOL at Halloween pictures. Josh Smith and Etan Thomas pic is avatar worthy.

Al sure has some good friends...

http://plixi.com/p/53691761

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

The decertification of the union is the big topic that I haven't seen discussed many places. The NFL players are already voting on authorization to decertify the union because they think it puts them in such a strong position. And in this situation the owners are basically trying to get the players to agree to a system to prevent owners from making dumb decisions- but I don't see why players would sign an overly restrictive CBA instead of just decertifying. If the union were to decertify then things like a salary cap and restricted free agency would probably not be allowed.

This article seems to touch on most of the big issues, including potential decertification:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/477995-10-reasons-all-nba-fans-should-be-concerned-about-a-2011-lockout

If the union decertifies in order to prevent a lockout, it would make things very interesting. My gut says that such a move would likely turn many of the owners even more militant on this contract.

• Moderators

Thanks Spot and Ex. You know it is amazing that there wasn't a lawsuit over that by some of the owners. Talk about changing the competitive balance and affecting franchise worth. Can't believe they signed off on that.

That is why there was no lawsuit. They signed off on it as part of the collective bargaining process. There was no claim to bring.

That is why there was no lawsuit. They signed off on it as part of the collective bargaining process. There was no claim to bring.

Exactly, but I was speaking more to the before signing period. Can one or two owners hold the process hostage? For instance when Al Davis sued the NFL. I imagine there is a vote and if Orlando voted against it and it still was pushed they might have sought legal relief.

• Moderators

Exactly, but I was speaking more to the before signing period. Can one or two owners hold the process hostage? For instance when Al Davis sued the NFL. I imagine there is a vote and if Orlando voted against it and it still was pushed they might have sought legal relief.

Generally, the answer is "no" just like an individual employee can't sue to get different terms when the body votes to ratify a new contract.