• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ shot selection poll

exodus

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are we meant to be judging Mike Woodson's offense that had JJ shooting out of iso sets or JJ's decision-making within that offense?

When JJ got the ball in his hands he could either shoot, dribble or pass. It was up to him what he did. So the poll is evaluating the decisions he made considering that Woody pretty much gave him the green light to do what he wanted.

• Premium Member

I'd say not bad, but needed improvement. It's no secret that we had an undisciplined offense (read: no offense), but there were many times where JJ just forced the issue and took some really bad shots.

• Moderators

When JJ got the ball in his hands he could either shoot, dribble or pass. It was up to him what he did. So the poll is evaluating the decisions he made considering that Woody pretty much gave him the green light to do what he wanted.

I disagree with the premise that Woodson was just as fine with JJ passing the ball every time and not shouldering the biggest burden on offense as he was with JJ working for shots. IMO, he was expected to hold the ball and work for shots and was to pass as a secondary option when he had Bibby or another attractive target open. That was a big part of Woodson's system. I had issues with that system because of the quality (or lack thereof) of shots it generated and the predictability of the system (especially in the post-season).

I'll answer the poll judging JJ's shot selection within the context of Woodson's offense.

Edited by AHF

I disagree with the premise that Woodson was just as fine with JJ passing the ball every time and not shouldering the biggest burden on offense as he was with JJ working for shots. IMO, he was expected to hold the ball and work for shots and was to pass as a secondary option when he had Bibby or another attractive target open. That was a big part of Woodson's system. I had issues with that system because of the quality (or lack thereof) of shots it generated and the predictability of the system (especially in the post-season).

I'll answer the poll judging JJ's shot selection within the context of Woodson's offense.

Every player's shot selection has to be judged in the context of the system they play in. Since Woody refused to tell Smith not to shoot 3s it is a pretty safe bet he wasn't telling JJ not to pass or that he had to take x number of dribbles/hold the ball x number of seconds before deciding to shoot or pass.

The thing about JJ's shot selection is that there were very few times in which I said to myself . . "now that's just a bad shot".

The problem with JJ is that he's a relatively inconsistent shooter in the first place. But he compensates for that by trying to get in the lane and shoot the floater, in which he makes a little over 50% of the time.

Last year, when the outside jumper wasn't falling, he looked to score in the paint. As long as he continues to do that, and not just keep chucking away from the outside when he's cold, then I won't have too many problems with his shot selection.

I just wished he made more of the wide open jumpers that he misses on occasion.

Last season Joe Johnson took more shots in the 16-23 range than he did from 3 point land. To me thats something that absolutely needs improvement.

I agree. All of the starters other than Smith (Crawford and Mo as well) shot better than JJ in that range. In my view only Bibby can be considered a better shooter than JJ so to me that is more evidence he took too many long 2s.

And on the flip side, no one on the team took more of their shots within the last 10 seconds of the shot clock, than JJ. And that is a characteristic of almost all go-to scorers in this league. And the shot they usually end up with, is a tough jumper from 10 - 20 feet.

JJ has to take some responsibility for that. He frequently held the ball way too long. Crawford got his share of isos but didn't hold the ball as long as JJ did.

• Premium Member

needs to work harder at getting to the rim when his jumper isn't falling.

and off topic...

he needs to work with Teague on floaters and layups. Is it me or has Teague missed 99.999% of his layups as a Hawks?