• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks interested in 'Melo?

evilinkblot

I'd love to get Melo but I'm not sure how we do it without giving up either Josh or Al.

We are not trading Al, but to be honest. We can't. Even if NJ decides they don't want to trade Favors, we can't top any offer with just Marvin. But Atlanta is not taking Melo and trading Smith only. That's counter productive. We have to get back Nene and Melo. For that it would take Crawford, Smith, and Zaza. Now if they want Marvin and picks, it will take Billups as well. We could then package Bibby to Miami for their legions of bums who we will not play in Arroyo, Pittman, and Magloire who all are useless but are expiring and would give us some breathing room in terms of cap space.

That gives us

Billups/Teague

Joe/Jordan

Melo/Evans

Horford/Powell

Nene/Collins

the rest of the guys aren't seeing the floor.

Lawson

Affalo

Marvin

Smith

Zaza and a lot of capspace for this season and a max contract for Yao, Oden, Gasol, etc.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

I love Smoove as a hometown hawk but JJ and Melo on the perimeter would be unstoppable. Their games would compliment each other perfectly. Super pipedream for me is Smoove and craw for Melo and Billups.

I would only want Melo if he were staying. IF he's not staying, I don't want him.

I cant do it.

I can do Marvin Crawford and a pick for Melo. I cant see myself getting rid of Smoove. If i give up Josh im not throwing in any draft pick. Josh is only 24 and fills up the stat sheet. He is our defense. Nope i cant do it.

• Like 1

I cant do it.

I can do Marvin Crawford and a pick for Melo. I cant see myself getting rid of Smoove. If i give up Josh im not throwing in any draft pick. Josh is only 24 and fills up the stat sheet. He is our defense. Nope i cant do it.

What I'm failing to understand is what Josh Smith does exceptionally well other than block shots ? There's only a handful of PFs that he's actually effective against defensively.

I love Smoove like the next person, but this is Carmelo Freakin-Anthony! This is a legit scoring title and MVP contender. People tend to over-value our own talent because of sentimental reasons. I know others go to the other extreme as well, but I'm saying you cannot believe Denver would take Marvin Williams and filler for one of the top 3 scorers in the league? C'mon. I wouldn't want to trade Smoove for much, but Melo is certainly someone I'd do it for.

• Premium Member

I love Smoove like the next person, but this is Carmelo Freakin-Anthony! This is a legit scoring title and MVP contender. People tend to over-value our own talent because of sentimental reasons. I know others go to the other extreme as well, but I'm saying you cannot believe Denver would take Marvin Williams and filler for one of the top 3 scorers in the league? C'mon. I wouldn't want to trade Smoove for much, but Melo is certainly someone I'd do it for.

I said it before and I'll say it again I would trade Smoove if needed to get Melo.

Carmelo Anthony has confirmed a New York Post report that Hornets point guard Chris Paul made a champagne toast at the Denver forward’s wedding in July that called for himself, Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire to team up with the Knicks.

According to hoopsnotes.com

Chances to see Carmelo in Hawks' jersey equals 0,0% :smile:

• Moderators

What I'm failing to understand is what Josh Smith does exceptionally well other than block shots ? There's only a handful of PFs that he's actually effective against defensively.

Unless I am remembering the numbers incorrectly, the team defense suffers more with him out of the game than any other player year in and year out. Statistically, he also had the 2nd most steals in the entire league among forwards (both SFs and PFs) last season. He is clearly a highly disruptive defender.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Carmelo Anthony has confirmed a New York Post report that Hornets point guard Chris Paul made a champagne toast at the Denver forward's wedding in July that called for himself, Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire to team up with the Knicks.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the Knicks and this new trio expect to make this happen under the new CBA. They are either going to have no role players (even worse than the Heat) or Paul/Anthony will have to take a discount.

Carmelo Anthony has confirmed a New York Post report that Hornets point guard Chris Paul made a champagne toast at the Denver forward’s wedding in July that called for himself, Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire to team up with the Knicks.

According to hoopsnotes.com

Chances to see Carmelo in Hawks' jersey equals 0,0% :smile:

Since that toast was confirmed, we certainly need to not worry about it anymore. Since Paul toasted that this past summer, it's absolutely gonna' happen. How many toasts are made at marriages that the bride and groom will live a long & happy life together, yet the divorce rate in this country is astounding? I agree, it's a long-shot, but to base your proof on a wedding toast is funny. You need to watch an episode of Bridezillas and then see if you still think the wedding toasts always come to pass. lol

I'd love to get Melo but I'm not sure how we do it without giving up either Josh or Al.

Let's not forget that Melo will walk anyway, so Denver will not be able to get the same or similar value in return... Marvin, Craw (exp.) and a 1st rounder should be our bait!

You are joking right?

Hey... the man will walk anyway... Nuggets are just barganing and being patient...

The package I proposed offers them:

1. Talented starting SF, who could turn into a star...

2. Exp. contract that would give them financial leverage for the future and

3. First round draft pick.

I don't think that's a bad offer for someone who will DEFINITELY LEAVE one way or the other...

Unless I am remembering the numbers incorrectly, the team defense suffers more with him out of the game than any other player year in and year out. Statistically, he also had the 2nd most steals in the entire league among forwards (both SFs and PFs) last season. He is clearly a highly disruptive defender.

I don't think you are remembering them incorrectly, but maybe interpreting them incorrectly. Our defense suffers with him out of the game because look who we had to replace him off the bench last year.

Hey... the man will walk anyway... Nuggets are just barganing and being patient...

I don't think that's a bad offer for someone who will DEFINITELY LEAVE one way or the other...

:lol6:

Its a really bad offer. The Nuggets wouldn't resign Crawford. You are offering them Marvin Williams (and they would likely view his contract as a negative) and a pick in the 20's for Carmelo Anthony. Thats a joke.

Frankly i think the Nuggets would prefer to just let him play out the season and possibly walk for nothing.

• Moderators

I don't think you are remembering them incorrectly, but maybe interpreting them incorrectly. Our defense suffers with him out of the game because look who we had to replace him off the bench last year.

What is the correct way to interpret his near league leading shotblocking and steals at the PF position and attractive defensive +/- numbers?

FWIW - This season we are giving up 11 more points when he is on the bench. With Horford, we are giving up 5 more points. Is Zaza that much of a better defender than Powell?

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

Let's see, we have Joe, Melo, Smoove, and Horf so that means that we will win about 70 games. So our first round pick will be # 30 overall.

2010 = Lazar Hayward

2009 = Christian Eyenga

2008 = J.R. Giddens

2007 = Petterrri Koopenen

Let's see...

You say that Marvin, Craw, and Lazar Hayward for Melo is NOT BAD?