• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who are your notable bottom 10 Hawks of all time.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Really, it's tough to rank players within this list, but I'm pretty confident in these being the ten biggest disappointments:

10. Speedy Claxton

9. Al Wood

8. The Babcock Bunch*

7. Dermarr Johnson (deserves a spot of his own due to being a high lottery pick)

6. Shelden Williams

5. Pete Maravich**

4. Jon Koncak

3. Glenn Robinson (with an dishonorable mention to Shareef)

2. David Thompson (#1 pick who never even suited up in a game as a Hawk)

1. JR Rider

* Rumeal Robinson/Adam Keefe/Doug Edwards/Priest Lauderdale/Ed Gray/Roshown McLeod/Cal Bowdler/Dion Glover

** The placing of Maravich on all-time teams around here perplexes me. He was the most hyped Hawks draft pick in the team's history, bar none. He never remotely met the expectations placed on him, and the Hawks only managed 1 winning season in his 4 years here. The team actually did 12 games worse in his rookie year than they had the year before, despite the fact that gaining Maravich and losing Joe Caldwell to the ABA were the only major roster changes (and despite the fact that the team stayed healthy and had Bellamy for a full season). After Maravich was traded to New Orleans, he never had a single winning season with the Jazz. The Hawks actually had 2 winning seasons (and 1 .500 season) during Maravich's years in New Orleans versus 0 for Maravich's team. Labeling Maravich as anything other than a major disappointment is placing him on a pedestal he never earned, at least as a pro. He never even became the drawing card he was supposed to be.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

** The placing of Maravich on all-time teams around here perplexes me. He was the most hyped Hawks draft pick in the team's history, bar none. He never remotely met the expectations placed on him, and the Hawks only managed 1 winning season in his 4 years here. The team actually did 12 games worse in his rookie year than they had the year before, despite the fact that gaining Maravich and losing Joe Caldwell to the ABA were the only major roster changes (and despite the fact that the team stayed healthy and had Bellamy for a full season). After Maravich was traded to New Orleans, he never had a single winning season with the Jazz. The Hawks actually had 2 winning seasons (and 1 .500 season) during Maravich's years in New Orleans versus 0 for Maravich's team. Labeling Maravich as anything other than a major disappointment is placing him on a pedestal he never earned, at least as a pro. He never even became the drawing card he was supposed to be.

Agreed. I wrote this on the list of your top 10 Hawks:

Pistol would not make my top 10 list. I think he is overrated in just about every list he gets on. He was the Allen Iverson of his day both in college and the NBA (flashy volume [not efficient] scorer, very talented, never won anything or played notable D).

The legend of Maravich is a much greater thing than Maravich the player was.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

Agreed. I wrote this on the list of your top 10 Hawks:

Pistol would not make my top 10 list. I think he is overrated in just about every list he gets on. He was the Allen Iverson of his day both in college and the NBA (flashy volume [not efficient] scorer, very talented, never won anything or played notable D).

The legend of Maravich is a much greater thing than Maravich the player was.

Can't disagree with this enough. Pete averaged over 24 points a game as a career .441 field goal and .820 free throw shooter with 5.4 assists and 4.2 rebounds. That is HOF level and he is one of the best Hawks the franchise ever had. This myth he didn't make the team better is just that. The team wasn't that good when he was here.

cant give you ten but my bottom is as follows:

ShellHead.....Lord why?

Marv.....I'm sorry but he has to be on the list just bc of where he was drafted, still like the guy and think he's decent on the team but he's on this list for me

Speedy.....smh

Acie....again Lord why?

Demarr....didnt really give us anything

• Moderators

Can't disagree with this enough. Pete averaged over 24 points a game as a career .441 field goal and .820 free throw shooter with 5.4 assists and 4.2 rebounds. That is HOF level and he is one of the best Hawks the franchise ever had. This myth he didn't make the team better is just that. The team wasn't that good when he was here.

Here was Maravich's ranking in FG% on each of his teams:

1970-71 - 6th on the team

1971-72 - 11th on the team

1972-73 - 8th on the team

1973-74 - 7th on the team

1974-75 - 16th on the team

1975-76 - 3rd on the team

1976-77 - 11th on the team

1977-78 - 8th on the team

etc.

But he did lead the team in FGA/GM every season so he has that going for him!

Seriously, the guy wasn't talentless but it ticks me off seeing him in the conversation among All-Time greats and even some who think he was the greatest college basketball player ever.

Here are two guys:

Career TS% - Career PP36 - Career AP36 - Career RP36

#1 .552 TS% - 21.9 pp36 - 5.4 ap36 - 4.1 rp36

#2 .500 TS% - 23.6 pp36 - 5.3 ap36 - 4.1 rp36

#1 is Gilbert Arenas. #2 is Pete Maravich. The difference? Maravich averaged 20.8 FGA/36 while Gilbert averaged 16.7 FGA/36.

Maravich makes Gilbert Arenas look restrained and efficient.