• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Smoove bring us a legit center?

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I think it is time to trade Smoove and move Horford to PF if we can get a decent center in return. I personally dont think there are that many out there to be had. I would like to have Chandler from Dallas or Heyward to a lessor degree.

Your thoughts?

I think it is time to trade Smoove and move Horford to PF if we can get a decent center in return. I personally dont think there are that many out there to be had. I would like to have Chandler from Dallas or Heyward to a lessor degree.

Your thoughts?

Chandler, Biedrins, Kaman, Oden, Yao, & Bynum are some good centers but all of them are too injury prone for me to give up Smoove.

I want a quality center too and would trade to get one. The problem is Horford is a better center then anyone we could get for Smoove.

We basically have to luck it out and draft a D. Jordan, R. Hibbert, or J. McGee type of center in the later part of the 1st round or 2nd round.

Sund is all too familiar with this. It is basically a mirror image of the situation he found himself in with Seattle . A good solid team missing a center with draft picks too low to realistically expect to draft a decent big. That didn't stop him from trying though.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Horford at C and Smoove at PF is better than Horford at PF alongside anyone we reasonably could expect to acquire at C. Really, the only imaginable upgrades are Howard/Horford, Bogut/Horford, Bynum/Horford (assuming Bynum has a prayer of staying healthy), and possibly Kaman/Horford (I still think Kaman is too dumb for a motion offense, but Smoove hasn't exactly looked great in it either, so...). I'd add Yao and Oden to that list, too, if we could be sure neither would have chronic health issues after this season (which almost certainly isn't true with Yao and likely isn't true with Oden. In any case, I don't think we could pull off a deal with Smoove for any of those guys

Al was an All-Star at center last year for a reason. The reason is that you don't need to be a 7-footer to be a successful NBA center anymore. Quickness, explosiveness, and strength have become more important than height at center. In the modern NBA, Horford is not a "true PF." He is a player equally suited to either the PF or C. I really, truly do not understand how people can look at the starters at PF and C around the league today and think otherwise.

• Like 1

• Moderators

No is the answer. Always has been.

Horford doesn't like defending centers but he better enjoy them on the offensive end. Smoove is the best thing that could have happened to Al. Trading Josh would be a mistake unless we are getting back an all-star.

Horford at C and Smoove at PF is better than Horford at PF alongside anyone we reasonably could expect to acquire at C. Really, the only imaginable upgrades are Howard/Horford, Bogut/Horford, Bynum/Horford (assuming Bynum has a prayer of staying healthy), and possibly Kaman/Horford (I still think Kaman is too dumb for a motion offense, but Smoove hasn't exactly looked great in it either, so...). I'd add Yao and Oden to that list, too, if we could be sure neither would have chronic health issues after this season (which almost certainly isn't true with Yao and likely isn't true with Oden. In any case, I don't think we could pull off a deal with Smoove for any of those guys

Al was an All-Star at center last year for a reason. The reason is that you don't need to be a 7-footer to be a successful NBA center anymore. Quickness, explosiveness, and strength have become more important than height at center. In the modern NBA, Horford is not a "true PF." He is a player equally suited to either the PF or C. I really, truly do not understand how people can look at the starters at PF and C around the league today and think otherwise.

Don't agree. I think we have a chemistry issue . We really need to be tougher inside and trade for a defensive minded 7 footer ( Smith for mghee anf filler for example). Look at the best teams,. LA, Boston, Orlando ...

• Premium Member

Your thoughts?

I thought about Chandler. I proposed McGee. I think a guy like Hibbert could be in play. About Heywood, i suppose we could get him without Smoove. Dallas has to be regretting the signing. We get him and maybe use Smoove to get a PG.

• Premium Member

I don't think those things have replaced height. The most dominant Centers in the league are still Howard, Shaq, Noah, Bogut and Yao. I think that teams like ours have compromised on the hope of getting a big. Horford is a true PF. He may be 6'10 (more like 6'9) and he's physical but defensively, he's more a classical PF than a C and when he plays against real centers like Brook Lopez, he gets torn out the frame. The reason why people don't say much about real Centers is that there are so few of them. That doesn't take away from the need to have one. Look at he finalist for the past few years:

All the way back until you get to Detroit, there has been real Centers in the championship game.

Gimme Nene and Lawson and they can have Smoove and Teague and we'll call it a day. Nene gives us the tough physical inside presence to go along with Al and Lawson gives us a major upgrade at PG as well as being our PG of the future. Maybe having Smoove will be enough of a draw for Melo to want to stay in Denver. They could move the Birdman into the starting lineup and bring K-Mart off the bench for the rest of this year and then they won't have to worry about PF next year when K-Mart is a FA.

• Premium Member

I think this idea of having to get an all-star center as the only justification to trade Smoove is off. The Hawks problems up front are rebounding, physicality and post defense. I think you can find solid role playing centers (with legitimate size) to address those issues. I think the Hawks should try to acquire an impact small forward and/or point guard in any trade of Smoove.

Edited by Jody23

Smoove is rebounding more than 9 boards per game and blocks over 2 shots. Are there really bigs that can beat that, available?

And he also steals the ball, draws the charges and is able to score 15 per game quite efficiently. We won't get for him anyone even remotely close to his production, not a chance.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Smoove is rebounding more than 9 boards per game and blocks over 2 shots. Are there really bigs that can beat that, available?

And he also steals the ball, draws the charges and is able to score 15 per game quite efficiently. We won't get for him anyone even remotely close to his production, not a chance.

Most of us agree with the numbers.....................but we need mass

I think this idea of having to get an all-star center as the only justification to trade Smoove is off. The Hawks problems up front are rebounding, physicality and post defense. I think you can find solid role playing centers (with legitimate size) to address those issues. I think the Hawks should try to acquire an impact small forward and/or point guard in any trade of Smoove.

SG is not a problem. Marvin is a solid role player

....is able to score 15 per game quite efficiently....

I call bulls**t, no way in hell can Josh score efficiently. Can you honestly, without leaving a bad taste in your mouth, say, "Josh Smith is an efficient scorer."

Come on, I applaud Josh for being ferocious on D, but he is completely lost on offense. With his size and athleticism, he should be able to score in the post at will, but that can't be farther than the truth. He has one of the worst post games I've ever seen, and his jumper doesn't help him any. If he's not catching a lob, or receiving a pass towards the lane, you cannot rely on him to score.

• Premium Member

Most of us agree with the numbers.....................but we need mass

Completely agree. It's about matchups. The last time the Hawks played the Magic, Collins played significant minutes. The result? He defended Howard better than Horford and Smoove combined ever have. Sure Howard got his points, but Collins had the size to defend him single coverage. This had a big impact because Howard's prescense didn't allow the Magic's perimeter guys to get open looks the way they usually do against the Hawks. Also, the Hawks outrebounded the Magic and had a legitimate shot to win the game. When's the last time that happened? You can't just look at the numbers of an individual player because they don't tell the whole story. It's more about matchups and how they impact the game.

• Like 1

Would a trade having Smoove for Gortat work? And maybe one of their small forwards or even point guards for Bibby or Teague (I know they won't give up Nelson, but I'd take Duhon over Bibby). I would tray Smoove for Gortat in a second, and I believe Orlando would like to have a PF. Plus Dwight and Smoove are buddies.