• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New York Times - Article on amazing Al Horford

jerrywest

While I agree he may be underutilized, I don't think he is the type of guy you can run a low post offense around. He does work well with the pick and pop jumpers though. I do agree that he needs more shot opportunities though in this offense.

He definitely is a gem which is why I'm that much happier we have him signed long term.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

While I agree he may be underutilized, I don't think he is the type of guy you can run a low post offense around. He does work well with the pick and pop jumpers though. I do agree that he needs more shot opportunities though in this offense.

He definitely is a gem which is why I'm that much happier we have him signed long term.

If he's at his natural position, I believe you could run low post offense thru him.

• Moderators

Was so eager to read a major media piece on how "amazing" Hofo is, but sadly they lost my interest in 0.73 seconds, with "HAWKS FAIL TO..." Backspace.

Half-empty media mindsets... here we go again. Lemme guess, the alternative article warming over the NYT writer's sterno was "Horford not living up to All-Star accolades."

Curious, was the last remotely positive piece in the media about the Hawks penned by Joe's agent?

~lw3

• Moderators

Geez that's a bad article. I guess he just watches the GameCast and not the actual game. Where's the article on what a rare underutilized talent Josh Powell is? Remember when he went 8 for 9 that one game and then next game, INEXPLICABLY, he's not even starting.

For such a 'student of basketball' as his tag line says he seems to overlook that when most of your points come on catch and shoot 10 footers you are bound to have a pretty low turnover rate. I love Horford and am happy that he is starting to take over but try to run the offense through him and he may not seem quite so spectacular.

That Miami game just won't die. I guess because its the only Hawks game a lot of people have seen but I'm curious how much Horford scored when he wasn't being guarded by Big Z. I just don't remember.

Honestly I think New York writers target players they'd like the Knicks to get and try to stir up some controversy to make the player unhappy with their current team.

• Like 1

I think we know Horford's game better than some NY writer. He has certainly made great strides this year but I dont think he is quite ready to be a number 1 option. however he definitely looks like a legit number 2 option which is a light year away from what he looked like two years ago.

No one on this team is truly featured. Not even Joe at this point. This is a pick and choose # of shots type of offense. One that usually exist in college but not in the NBA.

Not even sure where to start in responding to that statement -- the overstatement that this would indeed qualify as 'one of the league's great curiosities' or the assumption that Horford is not a 'featured component'.

Why is my name in that quote of yours? That is something that the writer said.

One of the league’s great curiosities is why Horford isn’t a featured component of the Hawks’ offense.

Not even sure where to start in responding to that statement -- the overstatement that this would indeed qualify as 'one of the league's great curiosities' or the assumption that Horford is not a 'featured component'.

Why is my name in that quote of yours? That is something that the writer said.

Because I replied to your post but forgot to remove your handle from the quoted text. Fixed now. :shake_puter:

Al has shot 50% from day one and yet it is still rare that he takes over 10 shots a game.

Drew needs to find a way to get him more shots. He is the Hawks greatest resource

and his game is STILL IMPROVING. Did u see him go between his legs and spin

and drive to the hoop tonite? He looked like a point guard!

I wouldn't mind Al taking a couple of shots more but bashing Hawks (read: LD) for underutilizing is overstatement. Outside of Miami game Al gets lots of touches in decisive moments of 4th quarter and usually delivers ands that's how you use your top scoring options.

Drews' philosophy, in contrast to Woodson's, is to make team unpredictable, because we have 7-8 players that can get hot in any particular game. This is preparation for play off time when we'll face Boston and/or Orlando and we'll be challange with very good inside defense which means, considering our lack of post scoring, we need to be very good jumpshooting team, which in turn requires an ability to find and feed the hot hand. This is still work in progress but we've already seen some good stretches of nice offensive execution.