• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should all be starting over Dwight in the All-Star game?

HawkItus

Dwight defense is what Lebron was to Cleveland's offense. He carries a bunch of guys who can't play it. He's the only player who can do so. Horford numbers are great and should be, he's Karl Malone like as a player.

• Moderators

He'll start if the Joe Schmoe voting fan sees a reason to prefer watching him instead of Dwight (read: he won't start). He needs to stand out amongst the rest to get the coaches' selection (and the Hawks must keep winning), and he's doing what he can in those departments so far. The only guys I see threatening his incumbency are Noah and Hibbert. Shaq won't get an oldtimer's selection.

~lw3

He'll start if the Joe Schmoe voting fan sees a reason to prefer watching him instead of Dwight (read: he won't start). He needs to stand out amongst the rest to get the coaches' selection (and the Hawks must keep winning), and he's doing what he can in those departments so far. The only guys I see threatening his incumbency are Noah and Hibbert. Shaq won't get an oldtimer's selection.

~lw3

Wanna bet? Every year there are at least 2 ridiculous choices for the All-Star game and I'd be shocked if Shaq wasn't one of them this year. I do absolutely think that Horford will be an All-Star again (and Smoove will get his first nomination) but he won't be starting over Dwight.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wanna bet? Every year there are at least 2 ridiculous choices for the All-Star game and I'd be shocked if Shaq wasn't one of them this year.

Yeah, I may have to rethink that, as ESPN, ESPN Boston (with the article below just an hour ago), and ESPN Insider are already making the case for our favorite JabbaWockee.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4678692/insider-shaq-an-all-star

If you tuned in to Friday night's TV broadcast of the Celtics-Chicago Bulls game, you might have heard ESPN analysts Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy discussing the 38-year-old's candidacy for the All-Star team. Actually, the two weren't discussing his candidacy as much as they were flat-out campaigning for Shaq's selection to the team. This despite only playing a shade over 20 minutes per game.

Blasphemy? Well, consider the facts. Despite the stellar efforts of Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, who could well earn All-Star bids on their own, it is Shaq who boasts the team's highest player efficiency rating (21.2). In fact, when it comes to centers in the East, only Al Horford and Dwight Howard have been more productive on a per-minute basis. With an absurdly high 68.4 field goal percentage, we haven't seen someone this money from the floor since the days of Wilt Chamberlain.

However, individual accomplishments mean little if they get lost in translation on the team level. But after looking at plus/minus numbers, we can see that's certainly not the case with Boston's 15-time All-Star. The Celtics are scoring 120.2 points per 100 possessions with Shaq on the floor this season. How good is that? That's the highest rate for any player in the league, according to basketballvalue.com.

Not a bad return for a veteran-minimum contract.

~lw3

Horford just gets better and better. He made it last season and he's better this season.

Yet, sadly to relate, with Howard and Shaq both showing up and showing out this year,

Horford may be added as a PF but, he probably won't even make the team if he's considered

strictly as a center.

And remember, there is this center on the Celtics who is having a career year. The better

our center plays, the further down the line he is pushed. Consider how many fans each

team draws. Name recognition. All goes into it.

:write a letter:

• Premium Member

Every team that plays Orlando has to gameplan their offense and defense completely around Howard. Al has been more efficient as far as his numbers are concerned, but you take into account all the intangibles and it ain't close. Howard is an MVP candidate, Horford is not at that level yet.

• Premium Member

If you look at Hollinger's stats on ESPN Al is kicking Dwights arse in most statistical categories. And just using the eye test, he is doing as much as Dwight with less minutes.

No.

Howard is a monster.

I mean, really... who would you rather have? Al or Howard?

I wonder if there's anybody who still thinks Al couldn't make the all-star team playing the 4?

KG will be probably voted in as starter. Stat fills up stats in NY. Boozer has still a time to mark his presence. Then there's Bosh, who after slow start, has been playing well. Brand is having very good all around season and Bargniani averages over 21 pts/game, but both play on bad teams. And as this is about forwards we should remember LBJ, Granger, Pierce and last but least another Hawk having great season, Marvin.

At C Dwight starts on 100%, then it's between Noah, Bogut, Lopez and Al (with Hibbert as runner up).

I think Boss has more or less the same chances at both positions.

If Al keeps playing the way he is and doesn't find a way on to the all star team, it will be even worse than Josh Smith missing out on the festivities last year. Guys who average 17 points, 9.5 boards, play great defense, shoot 60 % from the floor, and have PERs around 25 belong on the all star team. In addition, he is the only guy in the top 10 among centers in both assist rate and turnover percentage (as in fewest turnovers), which I think is quite a feat. This wouldn't even be a discussion if Larry Drew would play him 36-38 minutes instead of 32.

Al's stats per 36 mins are great, no doubt about it, but Shaq's are even better. Still, right now it's between him and Noah for the second best, we'll see how the things develop. His F/C might work in his favor, last year Gasol was selected for reserves as C despite playing most of his time as PF.