• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Individual Success

AHawks89

The Mavs' recent swoon should help Dirk Nowitzki make his case for MVP. Dallas went 2-7 without Nowitzki and didn't recover until he got his legs back. The numbers from the season's first half make it clear that no player is more important to his team's success. The Mavs have been 22.4 points per 100 possessions better with Nowitzki on the floor than they've been with him on the bench.

That's the biggest on-off court differential in the league by far among players with a minimum of 350 minutes played. After Nowitzki are Steve Nash (+16.6), Paul Pierce (+16.0), LaMarcus Aldridge (+15.2) and Chris Paul (+14.6).

At the bottom of the list is Atlanta's Josh Powell. The Hawks have been 17.3 points per 100 possessions better with Powell on the bench than with him on the floor.

After Powell? Nowitzki's back-up, Shawn Marion, who also has an on-off court differential of -17.3. The Mavs are 4.5 points per 100 possessions worse than their opponents with Marion on the floor, as opposed to 12.8 points better when Marion is on the bench.

Offensively, Nash means the most to his team. The Suns score 16.6 points per 100 possessions more with Nash on the floor than they do with him on the bench. Defensively, the biggest difference-maker is Atlanta's Jason Collins. The Hawks allow 14.1 points per 100 possessions fewer with Collins on the floor.

All numbers are through Wednesday, Jan. 19 and were compiled with the help of the NBA and StatsCube.

Is this why Josh Powell has been in the dog house? Jason Collins? Nice.

Link.

• Like 2

Pretty amazing on Collins, esp. since he really isn't much of a shot blocker or rebounder. Strange thing about him is one night he starts (when the other team has a really big guy). Next night he may never even get in the game.

Edited by Randy

makes you wonder how good we would be if started a "good"

center with Horford and J.Smith at the forward positions.

Exactly. Thats some good defense right there. Sure would be hard as hell to penetrate to the basket too. No one would go inside on us.

That's shocking about Powell because just watching him play it sure doesn't seem like we struggle with him on the floor, especially not earlier in the year when he was knocking down jumpers like a mini Horford and he was doing a good job on the glass as well.

It's equally shocking about Collins but maybe it goes back to the fact that the Nets were an excellent team while he was their starting C and I don't remember him contributing much more in the way of stats back then than he does now.

The idea that Collins just clogs the lane is probably the best explantion I've seen about why the seem to be better with him on the floor. The guy really doesn't do much except take up space, but he's really effective at doing that. I agree that if got a guy that was somewhat more talented at either defense or offense, the Hawks would have the center problem solved. Guy doesn't have to be an All-star, just a competent C that can give us what Jason is plus a few points and better rebounding.

The idea that Collins just clogs the lane is probably the best explantion I've seen about why the seem to be better with him on the floor. The guy really doesn't do much except take up space, but he's really effective at doing that. I agree that if got a guy that was somewhat more talented at either defense or offense, the Hawks would have the center problem solved. Guy doesn't have to be an All-star, just a competent C that can give us what Jason is plus a few points and better rebounding.

It's too bad that New Orleans is doing so well because I would love to try and acquire Okafor from them for a package built around Marvin or Jamal as I think we'd be frighteningly good on defense, even with Bibby, if we had Smoove-Horford-Okafor patrolling the paint.

It's too bad that New Orleans is doing so well because I would love to try and acquire Okafor from them for a package built around Marvin or Jamal as I think we'd be frighteningly good on defense, even with Bibby, if we had Smoove-Horford-Okafor patrolling the paint.

Oak would be a great addition to the team. The real question I have is Oak a better addition over a PG like Lowry? Not that Lowry is necessarily obtainable, but he's a guy that I think would really help the club.

• Like 1

Oak would be a great addition to the team. The real question I have is Oak a better addition over a PG like Lowry? Not that Lowry is necessarily obtainable, but he's a guy that I think would really help the club.

I think that if we were to acquire a PG that the only way they'd replace Bibby in the starting lineup would be if we either traded Bibby in the deal or the guy was a superior offensive player to Bibby because I think they value offense/shooting from the PG position more so than they do defense, which I don't agree with personally, but it's my feeling about how Sund/LD prefer things. I would love to see if we could get our hands on a guy like Lowry or if I'm dreaming maybe Aaron Brooks!