• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So who is more risky to lose in a trade Jamal Crawford or Josh Smith?

JTB

Lot of trade talk lately and as funny as this may sound I, me, JTB! even think the hawks are actually going to make a trade by the deadline or get in serious talks. Now there's no real legit reason for me to think this way but I just have a gut feeling like many other posters on this board, maybe its because Jamal has a expiring contract or maybe because now even the Chicago bulls seem to be better than us out of no where! But here lies the BIG Q.

If the hawks do make a trade which again my gut is telling me they seriously might. We know the trade will involve either Jamal Crawford or Josh Smith. So who between the two who is more risky to lose?

Jamal Crawford:

Jamal is clearly going to win that sixth man of the year award again. He's our 2nd best offense man if not best offense man. He has amazing skills offensively with the street dribble moves as well as the crazy yet outstanding ability to draw fouls on the 3pt line! But the one BIG thing he cant do is defend and thats a problem! But besides the defense is the ASG and Sund really willing to trade their sixth man of the year? whose actually going on to earning this sixth man of the year again no doubt!

Josh Smith:

Josh is clearly our best all around player. Smith is always in the talks of winning defensive player of the year! He has great defensive instincts that gives him the ability to block shots and grab steals. He with no question is the hawks defense on some nights. Many questioned if he could play SF and he has clearly proved that he can and still be effective defensively. As far as offense goes he's a amazing dunker and pretty good *ss passer for a BIG man but his shot is sometimes just way off.sure he has improved without question but its more of his shot selection that needs improving. But besides the horrible shot selection, we cant forget that Josh smith is the best all around player the hawks have he defends, gets blocks, steals, and passes really well. Last year ASG owner Gearon said that next to LBJ he thinks Smith is the closes as far as being a all around player, will the ASG really trade their best all around player not to mention their best defensive player?

---------So with whats in bold which are the important factors to look at. My only question is who gets traded out of the two if a trade goes down?......(Wow im actually not having that gut feeling anymore cause I can damn near swear that those factors might keep them from trading either player! LOL....I say if it goes down Jamal first, Smith's too young, playing at a good level and is still growing!)---------

There is no way Josh gets traded unless in involves us getting CP3. I think there is a good chance Jamal gets traded but i think more likely is we do a minor deal that involves zaza or mo or jc2 or a pick.

Or possibly Curry/Beans. But Josh brings a lot to the table(especially when he's in the paint). Maybe even moreso than Al. Pretty soon, we're going to have to decide between the 2. Glad I'm not the GM. And I know, I know, Smith is a "headcase" or whatever, but when you compare the 2, basketball wise, Smith does much more than Al does. Just sayin. Al has the better mid range game, but Smith's the better passer, long range shooter, defender, and he also has the better back to the basket game right now imo. Decisions, decisions. Edited by terrell

There is no way Josh gets traded unless in involves us getting CP3. I think there is a good chance Jamal gets traded but i think more likely is we do a minor deal that involves zaza or mo or jc2 or a pick.

Yep or another superstar. He just has too much impact. In that time Joe was out going into the Boston game, Smoove was avg 24.5 ppg. To sit here and say he can't score on an uptempo team is crazy talk. He's a two way player with low BBIQ. No way I trade him in a lateral deal. No way.

Jamal, Joe and Al are the 3 most valuable players to the Hawks. We will take a HUGE step backwards when and if we lose Jamal. He is one of the few Hawks that can drive the basketball and draw fouls.

He he our only legitimate threat to take a last shot of a qtr or game. He is instant offense and can create anything on his own. He is really a starter who just begins each game after 5 min's in. You guys are

really underestimating him.

Or possibly Curry/Beans. But Josh brings a lot to the table(especially when he's in the paint). Maybe even moreso than Al. Pretty soon, we're going to have to decide between the 2. Glad I'm not the GM. And I know, I know, Smith is a "headcase" or whatever, but when you compare the 2, basketball wise, Smith does much more than Al does. Just sayin. Al has the better mid range game, but Smith's the better passer, long range shooter, defender, and he also has the better back to the basket game right now imo. Decisions, decisions.

Al is actually the much better passer considering he assists more (Assist% of 18.1 to 17) and turns the ball over less (Turnover% 9.8 to 15.3)

Josh may hit 3s on occasion but Al is still the vastly superior jumpshooter with an eFG% .539 to Josh's .439 and that's equated with the extra points of a 3.

Al is also the better man and post defender and gets the majority of his blocks on his own man rather than weakside.

Josh may have better post moves but Al is also vastly more efficient in the paint with an eFG% of .620 to Josh's .571. Should be also noted that Al is assisted less (53%) than Josh is (63%) on inside scoring so it goes say that Al is also much better at creating his own post offense.

So if Al is a comparable defender and a vastly superior offensive player all while being a year younger and having played 3 seasons less in the NBA....I'm just not seeing how this would be a tough decision...Oh wait, he's not from Atlanta and is not as flashy.

As per the OP, in comparison to Jamal though, Josh is the vastly superior piece. Scoring (while a good trait) on it's own is not enough to fully influence a game especially when said scoring is primarily influenced by a jumper.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome
  • Like 4

• Admin

Al is actually the much better passer considering he assists more (Assist% of 18.1 to 17) and turns the ball over less (Turnover% 9.8 to 15.3)

Josh may hit 3s on occasion but Al is still the vastly superior jumpshooter with an eFG% .539 to Josh's .439 and that's equated with the extra points of a 3.

Al is also the better man and post defender and gets the majority of his blocks on his own man rather than weakside.

Josh may have better post moves but Al is also vastly more efficient in the paint with an eFG% of .620 to Josh's .571. Should be also noted that Al is assisted less (53%) than Josh is (63%) on inside scoring so it goes say that Al is also much better at creating his own post offense.

So if Al is a comparable defender and a vastly superior offensive player all while being a year younger and having played 3 seasons less in the NBA....I'm just not seeing how this would be a tough decision...Oh wait, he's not from Atlanta and is not as flashy.

As per the OP, in comparison to Jamal though, Josh is the vastly superior piece. Scoring (while a good trait) on it's own is not enough to fully influence a game especially when said scoring is primarily influenced by a jumper.

Just to add what you are saying...Al is a leader, he is a much better ball handler and Al can also play center along with PF (more versatile).

• Like 2

Just to add what you are saying...Al is a leader, he is a much better ball handler and Al can also play center along with PF (more versatile).

Josh can play sf, pf, and c. No way Al is more versatile than Josh. I like Al myself, but I have to disagree with that. And have yall seen what happens in the paint when Josh goes out of the game. Al just opens up his arms and says come on down. And btw, the Hawks dont have a leader. Thats the problem.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If the hawks do make a trade which again my gut is telling me they seriously might. We know the trade will involve either Jamal Crawford or Josh Smith. So who between the two who is more risky to lose?

The long and short of it all is that it depends on who we get in return. If we were to trade Josh and get a franchise C, then it's not a great risk. IF we were to trade Jamal and get a good floor general or a good defensive PG who can shoot, again it would not be a great risk. At this point, I don't think we're in the market to trade for Picks.

Josh can play sf, pf, and c. No way Al is more versatile than Josh. I like Al myself, but I have to disagree with that. And have yall seen what happens in the paint when Josh goes out of the game. Al just opens up his arms and says come on down. And btw, the Hawks dont have a leader. Thats the problem. And another thing, itseems like it takes Al 10 min to decide what to do when he's posting up. Not an Al hater or a Josh lover, but I cant see why Al gets all the glory and Josh gets all the blame. Like I said Josh can be frustrating at times, so people usually overlook what he brings to the table. Thats understandable I guess.

• Premium Member

The long and short of it all is that it depends on who we get in return. If we were to trade Josh and get a franchise C, then it's not a great risk. IF we were to trade Jamal and get a good floor general or a good defensive PG who can shoot, again it would not be a great risk. At this point, I don't think we're in the market to trade for Picks.

• Moderators

Josh can play sf, pf, and c. No way Al is more versatile than Josh. I like Al myself, but I have to disagree with that. And have yall seen what happens in the paint when Josh goes out of the game. Al just opens up his arms and says come on down. And btw, the Hawks dont have a leader. Thats the problem.

IMO, Josh can't play C anymore than Lebron can - i.e., only for very limited minutes. He can play PF or SF. Not surprisingly, Josh hasn't played much center in the past. According to 82 games, he has played:

3% of the minutes at center this season

0% of the minutes at center last season

Anyone who can play significant minutes at center (and Al was an All-Star center last year) has very valuable flexibility - much more so than guys who can swing between the other positions.

IMO, Josh can't play C anymore than Lebron can - i.e., only for very limited minutes. He can play PF or SF. Not surprisingly, Josh hasn't played much center in the past. According to 82 games, he has played:

3% of the minutes at center this season

0% of the minutes at center last season

Anyone who can play significant minutes at center (and Al was an All-Star center last year) has very valuable flexibility - much more so than guys who can swing between the other positions.

I thought being versatile meant that you COULD play it if need be, not how many min you play it? My bad. And I'm not suprised at any comments reagarding Josh or Al. Josh is the most hated Hawk on earth, and Al is the most beloved. Why, Idk? 4 years of college compared to none. Maybe that's it? I know how people like to hate on highschoolers jumping to the NBA. How bout we ask LD who's the most versatile player on the team, and who has the best court vision on the team. Oh yeah, he's already answered that ?

• Moderators

I thought being versatile meant that you COULD play it if need be, not how many min you play it? My bad. And I'm not suprised at any comments reagarding Josh or Al. Josh is the most hated Hawk on earth, and Al is the most beloved. Why, Idk? 4 years of college compared to none. Maybe that's it? I know how people like to hate on highschoolers jumping to the NBA. How bout we ask LD who's the most versatile player on the team, and who has the best court vision on the team. Oh yeah, he's already answered that ?

Versatile can be used in different ways so there is no problem with that. I just don't think it is meaningful in a conversation to say that Josh can play C when everyone recognizes he couldn't start there or even play 20 mpg there. It would be like saying Horford can play SF - sure he can defend some SFs and has a good enough jumper to do that but he couldn't be your first or second option at the position.

The only positions that Josh can be your starter or top backup are SF and PF. I think that is the meaningful way to use "versatile" in this context.

You feel that factually pointing out where one player excels over another is based on some perceived bias over who went to college? What makes that logic even sadder is that while one player was worried about his midterm assignment the other was working professionally and getting paid millions over the same timespan. Clearly that has to be it.

You feel that factually pointing out where one player excels over another is based on some perceived bias over who went to college? What makes that logic even sadder is that while one player was worried about his midterm assignment the other was working professionally and getting paid millions over the same timespan. Clearly that has to be it.

You know what maybe, or idk means? It was a joke to be honest. Sorta like people saying theyd trade Josh Smith for Acie Law, or comparing Josh to David friggin Lee, etc.... But seriously ,people hate on highschoolers coming out all the time, and praise the guys for staying in school. Thats a fact, whether you want to believe it or not. And what does Al excel in over Josh other than his mid range jumper? Did you go to Florida?

Versatile can be used in different ways so there is no problem with that. I just don't think it is meaningful in a conversation to say that Josh can play C when everyone recognizes he couldn't start there or even play 20 mpg there. It would be like saying Horford can play SF - sure he can defend some SFs and has a good enough jumper to do that but he couldn't be your first or second option at the position.

The only positions that Josh can be your starter or top backup are SF and PF. I think that is the meaningful way to use "versatile" in this context.

Not true. He could play center for Dantoni. lol! Edited by terrell

You know what maybe, or idk means? It was a joke to be honest. Sorta like people saying theyd trade Josh Smith for Acie Law, or comparing Josh to David friggin Lee, etc.... But seriously ,people hate on highschoolers coming out all the time, and praise the guys for staying in school. Thats a fact, whether you want to believe it or not. And what does Al excel in over Josh other than his mid range jumper? Did you go to Florida?

Who are these people that hate on high schoolers considering that 3 out of the top 5 MVP candidates are high schoolers and plenty of the lottery picks are "one and doners" who only go to college because they have to. If anything staying in school is actually a detriment to a player's NBA stock as many believe you lack upside. These are actual facts by the way, you are the one having trouble believing them. I already pointed out where Al excels in a previous post in this very thread, you are welcome to dispute it if you like. No I did not go to Florida.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome