• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is our rival?

Guest Squawker

Guest Squawker

I have been pondering this for about a week now and i cant really think of a team that we are rivals with except maybe Boston because of our playoff series. But even Kendrick Perkins said it is not a rivalry to him. So what do you guys think? Who is our rival?

Boston

Charlotte

That's it. Really neither are true rivalry though. I think Boston-Atl is as much a rival as Miami-NYK.

i think you have to be consistantly good going up against another consistently good team over a long time to be a real rival (like lakers/celtics) and it helps if you're in the same division or region (ohio state/michigan, michigan/michigan state, yankees/red sox, u of louisville, u of kentucky). since the hawks haven't been consistently good, we haven't developed any good rivalries. celtics seem more of a rivalry to us, because we had one good playoff series with them, but it doesn't mean anything to them, because that series was just one random series out of hundreds they've had over their history.

• Admin

i want to sau bobcats.. but right now we really dont have one

The only thing about the Bobcats is that they are located very close to Atlanta. Thats it. Its not a big deal to us when we play them.

For us it is Boston and Orlando because it is a real big deal when we have to play them. However, we are not considered rivals to them. So Atlanta does not have a rivalry

If we had a rival, their fans should be excited when we come to town. I have a hard time believing any fan anywhere is circling the date on the calendar when their team plays the Hawks. The main ingredient in a rivalry is simply passion from players, coaches, media, fans, etc. The NBA could probably have a sweepstakes for Al and redistribute Joe, Josh, and Jamal to teams who need them the most and contract the Hawks. Actually sounds like a great idea. It would get a few minutes on Sportscenter 50 minutes in. Charlotte gets a little less coverage than we do, and Orlando, while dominat over us, is led by a guy (who may be gone soon) from Atlanta and way too silly to engage in a serious, heated rivalry with anyone. Boston would laugh at the thought. Al and Joe would be the fourth and fifth best players on the Heat, respectively. No comparison. The NFL and collegiate sports set the standard for rivalries by far because of tradition and they compartmentalize and market their different divisions. Above all, you have to be a contender. Negative.