• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offensive Strategy ... graphical look

Admin

That is what it seems to look like now, but at the beginning of the season I think they were playing a little differently and it was pretty exciting.

I agree that's what it was back when the players were actually trying but now they've fallen in love with shooting jumpers, which I think is even worse than last year's pure ISO strategy.

Just a quick and dirty look at the preferred (by LD apparently) positioning and strategy of the Hawks players within his offensive system.

Hawks-Offensive-Positioning.png

lol nice !

well with Kirk you would hope that our strategy would change to get the ball off the rim and go. We should be forced into a halfcourt offense we should not be walking the ball up looking for it .

defend

rebound

push it

attack the basket

should be this teams priorities I dont know we settle for milking the clock in the halfcourt . We play a much more emotional instinctive game when we run .

Perception is not always reality

and against the lakers

It looks like we are taking as good amount of shots inside as two "better" offensive teams.

Look deeper into that and view them by position (only have time to do the Lakers game) and you'll see that only JJ with 5 attempts in the paint should be considered satisfactory or I guess Marvin too with his 4 attempts off the bench. Other than that the majority of our attempts in this game off the bench came from our end of the bench type backup players.

Starters:

Bibby.jpg

JJ.jpg

Smith.jpg

Horford.jpg

Collins.jpg

Top 2 bench players:

Jamal.jpg

Marvin.jpg

• Premium Member

It's entertaining, but I find it tough to place the blame on LD for this. Like hawkshomer said, it looked good early in the season but it seems like the players have started to ignore it lately. I just find it very hard to blame LD for Josh's refusal to stop shooting jumpers or Jamal's decision to jack up contested jumpers with 15 seconds left on the clock. Those are both things that have been going on long since before LD became coach, and I really don't know of a feasible way for him to stop it.

JJ and Al strike me as possibly more amenable to coaching - JJ in particular seemed to buy into the offense early on this year. But Josh? We've seen LD bench Josh after bad shots a few times and it hasn't done jack. I think it's naive to think that another coach would have been able to bring about a different result with Josh, and he's by far the worst culprit in terms of the increase in the number of jumpers the team has taken this year (60% of his shots this year have been jumpers, compared to 36% last year).

Hopefully the new PG in town can have some influence either by dressing down and/or freezing out guys for taking bad shots. But I wouldn't count on it. I fear that this "core" thinks that it is accountable to no one else, and has grown too accustomed to playing the same roles and making the same mistakes they always have played/made together.

It's entertaining, but I find it tough to place the blame on LD for this. Like hawkshomer said, it looked good early in the season but it seems like the players have started to ignore it lately. I just find it very hard to blame LD for Josh's refusal to stop shooting jumpers or Jamal's decision to jack up contested jumpers with 15 seconds left on the clock. Those are both things that have been going on long since before LD became coach, and I really don't know of a feasible way for him to stop it.

JJ and Al strike me as possibly more amenable to coaching - JJ in particular seemed to buy into the offense early on this year. But Josh? We've seen LD bench Josh after bad shots a few times and it hasn't done jack. I think it's naive to think that another coach would have been able to bring about a different result with Josh, and he's by far the worst culprit in terms of the increase in the number of jumpers the team has taken this year (60% of his shots this year have been jumpers, compared to 36% last year).

Hopefully the new PG in town can have some influence either by dressing down and/or freezing out guys for taking bad shots. But I wouldn't count on it. I fear that this "core" thinks that it is accountable to no one else, and has grown too accustomed to playing the same roles and making the same mistakes they always have played/made together.

I didn't mean to place the blame solely on LD for this, although he does have to bare his share of the blame for allowing it to continue. I'll always lean more towards putting the blame/credit on the players for their play on the floor than I will the coach.

Look deeper into that and view them by position (only have time to do the Lakers game) and you'll see that only JJ with 5 attempts in the paint should be considered satisfactory or I guess Marvin too with his 4 attempts off the bench. Other than that the majority of our attempts in this game off the bench came from our end of the bench type backup players.

Starters:

Bibby.jpg

JJ.jpg

Smith.jpg

Horford.jpg

Collins.jpg

Top 2 bench players:

Jamal.jpg

Marvin.jpg

I'm not saying we don't take bad shots as a whole. My point is the offense isn't designed for that to be the shots we take.

• Like 1