• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams is a good basketball player.

MVP23

:roulette: I vote to ban you sir. lol

I was just about to post on here why is DIESEL the only person who keeps posting topics about Marvin?

I'm finally moving with Diesel on this Marvin. He has really pissed me off this year.

If Smoove would have put up that crap he put up last night and has being doing all year.... We would have about 5 topics bashing Smoove.

SMOOVE WAS NOT THE 2ND PIC!

Ok, let me c'mon down. I don't want to get my blood pressure up!

Especially you Diesel

6'9. 240 Pounds. Decent Mid Range Shooter. Is capable of hitting the corner three. Athletic. Probably the best defensive player on the team, and the only guy on the team that doesn't look like a 3rd grader past 20 feet. Smart player. Makes good decisions. Can handle the ball. Can post up. Shoots Free Throws. My question is why can't he put this all together? The guy has talent. A ton of it. Is it lack of work ethic? Does he just not care? When you look at him from an optimistic perceptive, its easy to see why he was the 2nd pick in the 05 draft. He could be Lebron 2.0

lolol.gif

Seriously... I hope this is a joke thread

• Premium Member

Especially you Diesel

6'9. 240 Pounds. Decent Mid Range Shooter. Is capable of hitting the corner three. Athletic. Probably the best defensive player on the team, and the only guy on the team that doesn't look like a 3rd grader past 20 feet. Smart player. Makes good decisions. Can handle the ball. Can post up. Shoots Free Throws. My question is why can't he put this all together? The guy has talent. A ton of it. Is it lack of work ethic? Does he just not care? When you look at him from an optimistic perceptive, its easy to see why he was the 2nd pick in the 05 draft. He could be Lebron 2.0.

I understand the disappointment he brings after 5,6 years. Thats multiplied when you have to watch CP3 and D Will highlights every night. But I'm tired of the non stop hating that people do on this guy. He is a nice, average decent NBA player. From his salary to his PPG. He can be a great NBA player imo. Somebody just needs to light a fire under his *ss. Hes ours for now. We aren't trading him, we aren't releasing him. Love him or hate him, he is an Atlanta Hawk.

You know... I can make a million dollars. But until I do it, the potential is meaningless.

That's Marvin. Good players don't need a constant fire lit under them. What makes them good is the fact that they are motivated to reach their potential.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I dunno about LeBron 2.0. Well yes, I do. It is pretty clear that he never had it in him to be LeBron 2.0. But I am rather tired of people assessing Marvin based on his '05 draft position rather than on his role and salary in 2011.

I take what I honestly think is a balanced view of Marvin - he is what he is. His lack of aggression on offense is frustrating. So is the complete disappearance of the fire he showed in his one year of college ball (and if you actually watched the Heels that year, you know how different Marvin looked than than he does today). And while I recognize that he has only a limited role in this team's offense, I don't give him a pass for disappearing to the weakside corner for so much of every game. But I frankly don't see how anyone who actually watches him in games can argue that he isn't a very, very good perimeter defender. He moves his feet, uses his length, gets a hand up to contest virtually every shot his man takes, and he rarely commits a foul. That's what good perimeter defenders do.

And $7.5M is a fair price for a plus on-ball defender who gives you 10 and 5 in 30 minutes on a playoff team. I know people will say "no one wanted that albatross of a contract, which is why Sund couldn't move it at the deadline" but I don't think that's the case. I frankly think we'd have little trouble moving him if it weren't for the fact that 1) rebuilding teams aren't looking to take on ANY contracts with 3 years left on them unless it's a superstar or a player still on their rookie scale contract; and 2) we'd need to get a comparable SF to replace him if we traded him away, and it's actually not easy to find teams willing to do "lateral" trades of players at the same position like that (Hinrich/Bibby is the exception, not the rule). It's similar to why the Jazz didn't move Kirilenko's huge expiring contract - given their dearth of forwards, they need him more than any player(s) they could back in a trade for him. It happens all the time with "above average but not great" players - their current team needs them more than other teams do. Maybe that wouldn't be the case with Marvin if Sund had spent his energy looking for a good small forward instead of 4 mediocre centers. But he didn't, so here we are.

If Marvin went back to his '07-'08 or '08-'09 offensive production, he'd be bargain at his price. As it is, he's doing what a guy making just a click or two above the mid-level (by definition the average salary of NBA players) should do. He's capable of more, but even if we don't get more, he's not a ripoff.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

Marvin is happy being a role player, and he hasn't shown anything in his career , that should make anyone

believe he wishes to be more than that.

If he wanted to be more than a role player, he wouldn't have resigned with the Hawks.

Think about it.If you wanted to be "the man: would you resign with a team that lets Flip Murray

play in crunch time , while you sit on the bench with a towel wrapped around your head?

• Moderators

Marvin doesn't have the offensive aggression needed to be an impact offensive player.

The guy is a solid jump shooter with a .453 efg% on those shots and gets some respect from opposing players which does space the floor some.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10ATL9.HTM

That said, he isn't much better than Josh Smith's .439 efg% on jumpers.

(Horford owns them both at .539.)

He gives you decent defense but isn't an impact guy there and on offense is by far the worst passer on the team (he just adds nothing to the table with his 1.3 apg). He gives you solid rebounding but with his height and athleticism he should be a premier rebounder at his position.

He doesn't kill you but doesn't add much to the equation either. He just is a poster child for mediocrity.

• Like 1

:beathorse:

Marvin Williams = The most hated Hawk in history.

Doesn't matter how good he is or he may become.

Hawks passed CP3 to draft MW. We needed a PG. but took MW instead.

MW will always qualify as the most hated Hawk.

:beathorse:

MW has had some good games. He is a good, not great, player. For the money he is

really a bargain. Posters on another site were wishing that they could trade for him.

They felt like a change of scenery would work wonders. They could be right. At least,

he wouldn't qualify as "Most Hated Player Ever" on any other team.

:kickcan:

If you give me Marvin at the Mid-level Exception which I think is a about 4.5 million a year I think he is a good player, but at $7 million to 7.5 he is not, but neither is Zaza a good player for his price, Hinrich is not a good player for his price, that's just how the Hawks do business. There are probably 10 SF's coming off the bench that are better than Marvin.

The mid-level exception in 5.8 mil for this season. So he is not considerably overpaid.

Marvin's actual production has not lived up to his No. 2 pick status :beathorse: , but I've long since moved on. He is who he is going to be. At this point all I want him to be able to do is play good, solid defense and hit the OPEN shots that come his way and stop falling over his feet...I meant butt.... :D