• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should the Hawks Pursue Ricky Rubio?

Hawkxan1

Ricky Rubio  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there's a slim chance that they would even consider it, but is it worthwhile for the Hawks to start talking to Minn about a possible swap? It would definitely, if nothing else, get the Hawks talked about and give them a player that would command national attention. This could (potentially) help with the home court problem because plenty of band wagoners would be rooting for Ricky. Is it worth the risk? Since Rubio could potentially be available in the future, due to him not wanting to play in Minn, is it worth a shot?

Rubio has no more talent or upside than Teague. He is struggling in Europe from all reports if they matter to those looking for sign of rather the guy is growing as a player or not.

Judging Euroleague stats is very difficult to do. 6 points 4 assists and 4 rebounds is not bad in the Euroleague. He is also averaging 2 steals a game. I would take a chance on him. We need some youth on our team badly.

Edited by GameTime

Judging Euroleague stats is very difficult to do. 6 points 4 assists and 4 rebounds is not bad in the Euroleague. He is also averaging 2 steals a game. I would take a chance on him. We need some youth on our team badly.

Agreed. Euroleague stats do not directly translate to the NBA. I personally think it's worth the shot. And to say that Teague has more upside than Rubio....that's just foolish.

Rubio has no more talent or upside than Teague. He is struggling in Europe from all reports if they matter to those looking for sign of rather the guy is growing as a player or not.

Not to say I don't like Teague, because I definitely do. But given a choice of Rubio or Teague, I'm taking Rubio.

Agreed. Euroleague stats do not directly translate to the NBA. I personally think it's worth the shot. And to say that Teague has more upside than Rubio....that's just foolish.

Not to say I don't like Teague, because I definitely do. But given a choice of Rubio or Teague, I'm taking Rubio.

You guys sure know a lot about being fools. To call someone else or there opinion foolish because it is not yours really shows what type of man you are. Your not God in my world just for the record but carry on little man

• Like 1

• Moderators

if he waits an extra season then he isn't bound by his rookie scale contract.

That is only the case if he isn't playing pro ball. As long as he is playing ball in Europe, the T-Wolves hold his rights for a year after that. He would have to sit out unpaid for a year to escape Minny unless the new CBA changes:

If the player is already under contract to, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q43

I believe draftexpress has formulas to pace adjust and adjust for 48 minutes both NCAA and Euroleague stats in case people are looking for a more familiar view of the player's production. Either way, I know that Givony or whoever runs that site has caught major flack from the Spaniards for criticizing Rubio's lack of development over there in a piece he did for the Times or some publication. Rubio has yet to develope a jumper and is still considered too slow to really guard the PG position at the NBA level while playing second fiddle to, my personal favorite of whom I wish made an NBA comeback, Juan Carlos Navarro for their team.

I just don't think his name has enough of a draw in Atlanta to bring out fans despite the Pistol Pete comparisons and his athleticism reminds me of a flashier passing Mark Jackson in his 30s. I'd say the kid is just victim of too much hype for his own good and it's doubtful he could carry a franchise on his back like he's been projected to.

You guys sure know a lot about being fools. To call someone else or there opinion foolish because it is not yours really shows what type of man you are. Your not God in my world just for the record but carry on little man

I didn't say you were foolish. And you are definitely entitled to your own opinion. Just comparing raw talent, I feel like you have to take Rubio.

p.s. thanks for letting me know i'm not god. I was pretty convinced I was for a second....

AHF- what you posted has nothing at all to do with what I said. I didn't say he would be a free agent. I said he wouldn't be bound by the Rookie Scale contract meaning that he could demand more money from the Timberwolves than he is currently scheduled to make. 3 seasons after drafting a player teams are allowed to pay a player more than the Rookie Scale contract if the player needs more incentive to come to the NBA. Tiago Splitter is an example of this. He was taken 28th in the draft and was scheduled to have a rookie scale contract starting at under a million dollars. Instead he signed a 3 year contract starting at 3.4 million dollars.

Rookie Scale contracts are exceptionally team friendly. THere are 2 guaranteed years, team options for the third and fourth season and at the end of it the player is still a restricted free agent. Rubio would be far better off waiting another season where he could hold the timberwolves over a Barrel and sign a more player friendly deal.

• Moderators

AHF- what you posted has nothing at all to do with what I said. I didn't say he would be a free agent. I said he wouldn't be bound by the Rookie Scale contract meaning that he could demand more money from the Timberwolves than he is currently scheduled to make. 3 seasons after drafting a player teams are allowed to pay a player more than the Rookie Scale contract if the player needs more incentive to come to the NBA. Tiago Splitter is an example of this. He was taken 28th in the draft and was scheduled to have a rookie scale contract starting at under a million dollars. Instead he signed a 3 year contract starting at 3.4 million dollars.

Rookie Scale contracts are exceptionally team friendly. THere are 2 guaranteed years, team options for the third and fourth season and at the end of it the player is still a restricted free agent. Rubio would be far better off waiting another season where he could hold the timberwolves over a Barrel and sign a more player friendly deal.

I thought you were talking about signing a contract with another team but get where you are coming from on this now. I do wonder how much more than his rookie slot he would command from the T-Wolves if the reports about his limited development are accurate. Who else thinks the T-Wolves kind of wish they had gotten Ty Lawson & Stephon Curry instead of Flynn & Rubio?

If I recall the current CBA, you are right in the wording of how the Rookie Exception works. What I found strange was that I could never see any language in the CBA that maintained that all first-round drafted players must be signed using the rookie exception. There is language that for a team to maintain rights over a player there must be a "required tender" which in effect is the rookie scale contract, but this only pertains to maintaining rights. I see no reason why Rubio could not be signed with Minnesota's cap space.