• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if we had a NBA coach

Vol4ever

Maybe a little bit but it's still a dysfunctional roster with among the worst point guard situations in the league, an overpaid quasi superstar with no killer instinct, a 'tweener with no true position playing power forward, and a power forward playing center. Not exactly what you'd draw up if you were starting a team from scratch.

• Premium Member

Maybe a little bit but it's still a dysfunctional roster with among the worst point guard situations in the league, an overpaid quasi superstar with no killer instinct, a 'tweener with no true position playing power forward, and a power forward playing center. Not exactly what you'd draw up if you were starting a team from scratch.

I think Joe Johnson has proven loud and clear he is no superstar. We have had players in the past that could take over games in past in Nique and John Drew but that is about it.

I think theone of the main problems is letting Jamal Crawford play the point, he is not a PG.

No coach can change this roster's lackadaisical effort and poor construction at this point. These are still grown *ss men and you can only yell at them so much, doesn't mean they'll actually change. Only way to hurt them is through their pocket or having a legitimate threat that we'll send them packing to Minnesota for the duration of their contract. The "Core: should be known more as the "Clique" because they are perfectly content with each other doing what they have been doing and only breaking them up can force change on them.

pg situation would be fixable with a "real NBA coach". As for the rest of the roster????? Just a lot of question marks. Edited by terrell

:stirthepot:

I have been a supporter, at least in my own mind, of Larry Drew as head coach. Why?

For one thing, he talks a good fight. Problem is, he either can't or will not carry thru.

He knows what the problems are. If he doesn't, then he's stupid and I don't believe that.

Why doesn't he do differently? Apparently either ownership or the players have him cowed down.

With the excuse, "We've got to get him going" he continues to play Crawford as PG. Doesn't

make sense, does it. Tuesday night he had 2 points (and he can't play PG) and Jeff Teague

had 20 points, was the leading scorer, going 4-4 from the three.

Yet, as we came into the 4th quarter Wednesday night, Jeff Teague was firmly nailed to the pine

and Crawford continued his fine play (???) for the Hawks. This was 100% on Larry Drew. No

one else. Was he cowed down by the players? Was he under orders from the owners to

keep Crawford in the game?

Larry Drew is apparently not a dumb bunny. He has held a high position in the NBA for years.

He talks a good game. Yet, we now see the results of his coaching.

It's past time for him to go. You can't just fire the entire team, therefore the coach, whether he

deserves it or not, must pay the cost.

:saythat:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I wonder how Rick Sund does it?

• The team needs to add toughness so he adds Josh Powell and Etan Thomas to the Roster.
  • The team has money issues so he signs JJ to the richest contract of the summer.
  • Team needs a new voice so he hires the guy that ran the offense that got Woody fired as head coach.
  • Team needs a PG so he trades for a 2 guard.

and why did he not trade Jamal Crawford at the deadline. Did he honesty think this team could compete?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

• The team needs to add toughness so he adds Josh Powell and Etan Thomas to the Roster.
  • The team has money issues so he signs JJ to the richest contract of the summer.
  • Team needs a new voice so he hires the guy that ran the offense that got Woody fired as head coach.

and why did he not trade Jamal Crawford at the deadline. Did he honesty think this team could compete?

The only thing i disagree with here is that hinrich is a 2 guard. Hinrich is a good PG and that wasn't a bad pickup. Why we didn't trade Jamal is beyond me. Its a momunental mistake that is magnified by just how bad he is playing. Maybe no one wanted him but i seriously doubt that.

Because ownership refused to allow him to add an actually talented and therefore expensive player.
    Because the owners are still in court fighting the decision to get the guy and at least break even on the bottom line with a mid to late 40s win team
    Because 1) he was cheap 2) it was a move they turned down 2-3 years earlier
    Because most evidence was pointing to Bibby's inability as the reasoning behind the team under achieving. Continue the answer below..

Because they could not take any salary back in return for him which is the major value for an expiring in the first place, you get a valuable piece that another team can no longer afford to keep. Hinrich is obviously Jamal's replacement next year as the combo off the bench as Sund and ownership (they did also hire LD because of his utilization of him in his "job interview") still believe that Teague is undoubtedly the starter of the future

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

:stirthepot:

I have been a supporter, at least in my own mind, of Larry Drew as head coach. Why?

For one thing, he talks a good fight. Problem is, he either can't or will not carry thru.

He knows what the problems are. If he doesn't, then he's stupid and I don't believe that.

Why doesn't he do differently? Apparently either ownership or the players have him cowed down.

With the excuse, "We've got to get him going" he continues to play Crawford as PG. Doesn't

make sense, does it. Tuesday night he had 2 points (and he can't play PG) and Jeff Teague

had 20 points, was the leading scorer, going 4-4 from the three.

Yet, as we came into the 4th quarter Wednesday night, Jeff Teague was firmly nailed to the pine

and Crawford continued his fine play (???) for the Hawks. This was 100% on Larry Drew. No

one else. Was he cowed down by the players? Was he under orders from the owners to

keep Crawford in the game?

Larry Drew is apparently not a dumb bunny. He has held a high position in the NBA for years.

He talks a good game. Yet, we now see the results of his coaching.

It's past time for him to go. You can't just fire the entire team, therefore the coach, whether he

deserves it or not, must pay the cost.

:saythat:

This.

• Moderators
Because the owners are still in court fighting the decision to get the guy and at least break even on the bottom line with a mid to late 40s win team

The good news is that they are out of court now - they are just missing 1/3 of the financing they expected to have and have had to pay millions to work through Belkin's powerplay to try to be in sole control of the team.

The Hawks have the #7 payroll in the entire NBA. Their problem is they're spending bad money, not that they're not spending enough money.

Exactly, all of that money is tied to only 5 players that share similar talents and positions. The ASG just decided that they can spend 60 million on the shooting guard and forward positions and then skimp on PG, C and the bench and expect to be successful. If they are going to go all in on those positions then they might as well go all in and into the tax to back them up.

The good news is that they are out of court now - they are just missing 1/3 of the financing they expected to have and have had to pay millions to work through Belkin's powerplay to try to be in sole control of the team.

I forget but aren't they currently in the middle of disputing a law firm's wording or whatnot of the original contract they got into when they bought the teams as a side effect of their battle with Belkin? Can't remember exactly but I'm sure I saw some new suit came up after they had resolved their age old one. Regardless, I find it hard to believe the owners to have gone through such a lengthy divorce settlement over the summer property only to give it away the moment they received sole custody of it.

Exactly, all of that money is tied to only 5 players that share similar talents and positions. The ASG just decided that they can spend 60 million on the shooting guard and forward positions and then skimp on PG, C and the bench and expect to be successful. If they are going to go all in on those positions then they might as well go all in and into the tax to back them up.

Is that on the ASG or Knight and Sund? Those two guys are the ones who picked the players and subsequently decided to extend them. At best all the ASG did was say they were more than content to keep together a 1st round playoff team and not blow it up and try again.

• Premium Member

I think it's funny that some still blame BK even though Sund signed every player on the roster.

Is that on the ASG or Knight and Sund? Those two guys are the ones who picked the players and subsequently decided to extend them. At best all the ASG did was say they were more than content to keep together a 1st round playoff team and not blow it up and try again.

My thinking is that the GM cannot make a move unless the people signing the checks say so. We all knew that BK tried to make moves to rectify some of his initial mistakes that the owners turned down in the past and we know their current fondness for the "core". To OK a 120 million dollar contract for Joe and publicly say that the second best player to Lebron is Josh and outbidding team's for Marvin (he's making just above the MLE which was all that other teams could offer him his summer of free agency) just shows to me that they are trying to prove something with these guys and will hold onto them at all costs. To keep a core like this together for this long and through two GMs shows that you have to look higher for what the common denominator is. To promote the assistant over the GM's choice of an outside coach who might demand changes to the roster also points me toward a great determination towards continuity rather than change from the owners themselves.

• Premium Member

Few highlights of the Rick Sund era:

AUG 11 2008: Hawks match Grizzlies' $58M offer sheet, retain Smith

JUN 08 2009: **Breaking News** Hawks resign Zaza Pachulia (4 years)

JUL 29 2009: Hawks re-sign Marvin Williams for 5 years, $40 million

JUN 08 2010: Joe Johnson to sign a ridiculous deal with the Atlanta Hawks

JUN 13 2010:Hawks hire Larry Drew as head coach

Anyone saying this is BK or ASG's mess hasn't been paying attention to Rick Sund.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

It still baffles me how you have fans who are still so blind that even with everything thats going on the blame the teams problems on jamal playing 3-4 minutes at PG....or better yet the coach when he gave the majority of you exactly what you asked for and now you are trying to distance yourself from the mess youve helped create