• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My negative Moment of the day...

Diesel

• Premium Member

When Joe is doubled, Somebody has to be open.

I took notice that in the important parts of the game, that somebody was Marvin. When the ball swung to Marvin. HE MISSED Wide open shot after Wide open shot. Once again, the pick of Marvin Williams is coming back to bit us in the *ss.

Here's my plea to Marvin. KEEP YOUR DAMN HEAD UP AND DRIVE!! The fact that you are 6'9" and about 240 and you let JJ Redick 6'3 about 190 push you around says that you need your *ss whipped.

OK... I had to say that.

How do the Hawks overcome:

Marvin has to drive when he has wide open spaces. He used to be good at drawing fouls.

LD should consider given Damien more burn or moving Joe to the 3 with Crawford and either Hinrich or Teague in the game.

BTW...

After we got the deficit to 2 in the 4th... and Turk did the running drive... Did Smoove's aborted rebound help Turk's shot go in?

• Like 1

Besides being a good defender who uses his size well, Marvin is useless. No sense in expecting anything from him unless another starter is out and we're playing against a poor team. Not happening here.

Edited by benhillboy

I took notice that in the important parts of the game, that somebody was Marvin. When the ball swung to Marvin. HE MISSED Wide open shot after Wide open shot. Once again, the pick of Marvin Williams is coming back to bit us in the *ss.

Here's my plea to Marvin. KEEP YOUR DAMN HEAD UP AND DRIVE!! The fact that you are 6'9" and about 240 and you let JJ Redick 6'3 about 190 push you around says that you need your *ss whipped.

OK... I had to say that.

How do the Hawks overcome:

Marvin has to drive when he has wide open spaces. He used to be good at drawing fouls.

LD should consider given Damien more burn or moving Joe to the 3 with Crawford and either Hinrich or Teague in the game.

BTW...

After we got the deficit to 2 in the 4th... and Turk did the running drive... Did Smoove's aborted rebound help Turk's shot go in?

I just think Marvin is not that physical of a player. I remember on one play we were trying to get the ball to Marvin in the post and he let Quentin Richardson push him all the way out to the perimeter. The guy just doesn't like physical contact. He could at least hit the open shot. I don't know why he can't be consistent with his jumpshot.

• Premium Member

Marv was actually playing pretty decent heading into the Playoffs. He seemed to have his shot back. He wasn't all that bad in Game 1 either. I think the real issue is he's not a difference maker? When things are going bad for the other scorers on the court, he doesn't really step up that much. But I guess you could say the same thing about others on this team as well. As long as that's an issue, JJ will be double teamed. Maybe a lineup that puts another viable offensive threat in there is needed so that JJ doesn't have to deal with the double team all the time?

Hinrich

Crawford

JJ

Horf/Smoove

Twin/Zaza

This doesn't have to be the starting lineup, just something for when the offense gets stagnant. It leaves craw free to play off the ball(as he should) and keeps Hinrich as his backcourt mate for some defense. In fact, I think this lineup keeps decent defenders at all the key positions. I'd prefer to have Horf at the 5 and Josh at the 4, but I'm pretty sure Dwight is looking to log 40+ mins a game this series so that's a no-go.

I just think Marvin is not that physical of a player. I remember on one play we were trying to get the ball to Marvin in the post and he let Quentin Richardson push him all the way out to the perimeter.

At least it's a guy with nice size. I'll never forget once last year against Cleveland, Bibby tried to make Marvin post up either Delonte West or Mo Williams, I forget. Twice. He couldn't get anything done the first time, so he kicked it back out to Bibs to reposition I guess. Bibby lobbed it to him again, and the smallish guard, whoever it was, pushed Marvin from having one foot in the paint damn near to the three point line. He gave it up and just lingered around the three point line with his arms swinging. Whats funny is he was on an island with a PG and no Cavalier even thought to help. The vintage play I think of when I think of Marvin. Just pure foolishness.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Marvin missed at least 3 layups by my count and I dont expect him to be superman but he is getting great looks he should be feasting as wideopen as he has been .

...and I know the three you're talking about. Plus fumbling the ball before losing it on another possession.

Here's my plea to Marvin. KEEP YOUR DAMN HEAD UP AND DRIVE!! The fact that you are 6'9" and about 240 and you let JJ Redick 6'3 about 190 push you around says that you need your *ss whipped....

Yep D...AND...you know darn well that Van Gundy was counting on Marivin's impotence in the offense in a big game...he is naturally passive.

So I would guess that Van Gundy looked at what he was up against after game one and said - "here's the guys we gotta guard" and "anytime Williams is on the court you can slack off him and double team...if he hits a couple shots we may have to re-assess perimeter-wise...but he won't drive effectively so don't worry about that"

(previous paragraph) Pure fiction and guessing? Sure. But if you were in Van Gundy's place after game one wouldn't you tell your guys that?

This is another reason why sitting AL was such a mistake in the 2nd quarter...it put Marvin on the floor for a longer time.

(note: Marvin played 19.5 minutes..went 1 for 6 - missing at least three uncontested jump shots, got 3 rebounds, all offensive, and generally stood around a lot of the time on offense...personally I would put Damien in there..at ;least he moves on both sides of the court)

Edited by DJlaysitup