Sekou Smith

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Sekou Smith

http://media.790thezone.com/Podcasts/1345/Sekou_Smith_5-17-11.mp3

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I disagree with Sekou.

Us taking Marvin Williams was the biggest draft mistake. We had no need for another Sf. We picked Marvin who rode the bench at Carolina because BK felt that eventually, Marvin would be a game changer. Well, Eventually has come and Marvin is nothing. We took Shelden because we had a dire need for a Big and he was the best looking big on paper by accomplishment. He was the polar opposite of Marvin in that he had played all 4 years, he was a known quantity and he did fit into our need category.

It is impossible to overcome missing out on CP3, DWill, or Felton.

I think that's the fatal mistake that this team made.

• Like 1

I disagree with Sekou.

Us taking Marvin Williams was the biggest draft mistake. We had no need for another Sf. We picked Marvin who rode the bench at Carolina because BK felt that eventually, Marvin would be a game changer. Well, Eventually has come and Marvin is nothing. We took Shelden because we had a dire need for a Big and he was the best looking big on paper by accomplishment. He was the polar opposite of Marvin in that he had played all 4 years, he was a known quantity and he did fit into our need category.

Truer words never spoken...I absolutely agree with this. Billy Knight's poor decision has really hurt this franchise. We could be in much better shape but I do believe we have found a good one in Teague. We need to give Teague a year to run this team and then see where we are.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I still boggle at Knight's drafting all these years later. He actually told the media in more than one interview (and in private) that he didn't see a "franchise" point guard out of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton. Then the next year he makes an early promise to draft SHELLHEAD of all people and we pass on multiple players again that could have made this a great team.

That's how the NBA goes. We had chances in our rebuilding years to draft smart with future stars and instead we get one star (Horford) one quasi star (Smoove) and two of the worst lottery picks in NBA history (Superbust Marvin and Shellhead). You aren't going to win titles like that. Now we are NBA hell: good enough to scratch out second round playoff runs and that's the hard ceiling.

I still boggle at Knight's drafting all these years later. He actually told the media in more than one interview (and in private) that he didn't see a "franchise" point guard out of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton. Then the next year he makes an early promise to draft SHELLHEAD of all people and we pass on multiple players again that could have made this a great team.

That's how the NBA goes. We had chances in our rebuilding years to draft smart with future stars and instead we get one star (Horford) one quasi star (Smoove) and two of the worst lottery picks in NBA history (Superbust Marvin and Shellhead). You aren't going to win titles like that. Now we are NBA hell: good enough to scratch out second round playoff runs and that's the hard ceiling.

Sothron...to diesel's point....We had not drafted Al before we took the klingon...We did actually have a need for a 4/5 that year and Billy jumped on the most overrated player on the draft board. While it did fill our need vis the draft..the best thing Sheldon ever did was Candace Parker...

• Like 1

Should ASG get the blame and not BK though? I'm saying this because every time I bring up Sund someone posts he has no control.

On the Shelden pick I think ASG is to blame. BK basically telegraphed that he was not in charge for that pick. Another bad one that makes me wonder is the Josh Childress pick. Everyone knew Childress had major limitations (jump shot, too weak for SF, too slow for SG) going into that draft. Why did we pick him over Deng or Iguodala?

Should ASG get the blame and not BK though? I'm saying this because every time I bring up Sund someone posts he has no control.

We will not for sure know until the book comes out but, I don't think Shelden was BK's pick. I believe the "promise" was higher up.

The Shelden pick was a logical pick, especially considering that Ben Wallace was a similar sized guy playing all-star center for Detroit at the time. Shelden didn't pan out but I can forgive that pick because it was worth a shot to see if he could fill a void at center for us like Wallace, Perkins or Big Baby have produced as undersized but bulky strong centers. Marvin was a complete misevaluation of talent and desire. He was a purely "sexy" pick because of a the, I hate to say it, "hype machine." But I still think Marvin could be serviceable if he just found the right coach and system.

Marvin seems to have lost ALL confidence. I guess being benched from the starting lineup 6 different times in one season will do that. I am not disagreeing with the benching because his play warranted it. I thought he would go to the bench and give us some much needed help there. That didn't happen. He was eventually outplayed and replaced I the rotation by Damien Wilkins. Marvin had the worst season if his care this year.

I can chalk some of it up to several injuries but Marvin looked lost and confused all year. I think dyed to the magnitude of how he was projected, he is a much worse pick than Sheldon (in hindsight). We thought we were getting a Boozer, Big Baby in Shelden. We thought Marvin would be a perennial All-Star.

Marvin the biggest as a revisionist but the Shelden pick was a bust even before he was picked. We really could have tried to move up or just take Brandon Roy. If Roy didn't fit, he would still avg a lot and we could have traded him for a real PG during the draft like a Westbrook or something.

• Premium Member

On the Shelden pick I think ASG is to blame. BK basically telegraphed that he was not in charge for that pick. Another bad one that makes me wonder is the Josh Childress pick. Everyone knew Childress had major limitations (jump shot, too weak for SF, too slow for SG) going into that draft. Why did we pick him over Deng or Iguodala?

I think at the time, Deng and iguodala had just as much questions about their game too. Many people said that neither one of those guys could shoot. Iguodala had BBIQ deficit, Deng was mechanical, no lateral quickness, very little athleticism. There was a whole slew of problems with those guys. Moreover, Childress did lead Stanford to a 20-2 record that season and he was obviously the leader.

Here's what was said about Childress by the ESPN insider:

Upside: He's an outstanding pro prospects because of his long arms, athleticism, and guard-like skills at his size. He reminds some scouts of former NBA great George "The Ice Man" Gervin. He's a pretty complete package. He can shoot both the mid-range J and the 3-pointer. He has excellent ball-handling skills and can play the point-forward position. He's an excellent rebounder and good shot blocker for his position. He's an amazing defender because of his combination of lateral quickness and huge wingspan. When he's guarding players on the perimeter, it's like having a 7-footer on them. He has shut down several of the best players in the nation. He possess very good athleticism and is a heady type of player.

Downside: He's very thin and looks a little fragile at times, both physically and emotionally. He's a bit of a finesse player. Can get down on himself and lose his confidence. He could be more aggressive. At times he'll take over a game, at other times he'll fade into the background a bit. However, recently that's started to change, and Childress has begun dominating games.

Insider Projection: He's one of the hottest names in the draft right now and could up being a top 3 or 4 pick in the draft. There are very few people in college basketball or the NBA with his full complement of skills. Strength and aggressiveness are the only things holding him back at this point. Has worked out very well in Chicago and Charlotte but won't slip past Philly at No. 9.

Here's Iguodala

Upside: What's the big deal about a two guard averaging just 12.7 ppg? Scouts believe he's a Scottie Pippen-type player who can play multiple positions, handle the ball in most offenses and lock down anyone he has to defend. He already has an NBA body and is an elite athlete. Think Doug Christie with more hops.

Downside: Iguodala struggled to score in college. He didn't have a great perimeter shot, and he isn't a post-up player. Most of his points come in transition or off offensive rebounds. He shot just 30 percent from downtown. Can a shooting guard that can't shoot survive in the league

Insider Projection: Despite the obvious flaw to his game, scouts love him. Several believe that with his passing ability he could turn himself into an unstoppable big NBA point. He's been shooting the ball much better in workouts after spending several months in Chicago working on his form. If he completes that part of his game, he could be really special.

Here's Deng

Upside: He's the complete package. Deng has it all. AnNBA-ready body, fundamentals, a nice shooting touch and a great feel for the game. Deng is an unselfish player who can handle the ball, nail the mid-range jumper, grab a rebound in traffic or lock down an opponent in crunch time. His long arms and nice vertical leap make him play much longer than his height. He's a good shot blocker for his size. The comparisons to Grant Hill are obvious. Not as obvious is a game strikingly similar to the Jazz's Andrei Kirilenko.

Downside: Teams worried a bit about his athleticism and lateral quickness, but he's looked really good in indivudal workouts in that area. His 3-point shooting is still an issue, as Deng is much more comfortable taking the mid-range jumper. He averaged three 3-point attempts per game this year and shot a respectable 36 percent from behind the arc, but scouts know it's not his strong point

Insider Projection: Arguably the best NBA small forward prospect in the land. His numbers don't blow you away, but when you consider that he's playing on a team filled with older, more experienced All-Americans, they're pretty impressive. His great play and leadership in the NCAA tournament put a lot of pressure on him to declare. Right now he's considered a top-five pick in the draft.

We will not for sure know until the book comes out but, I don't think Shelden was BK's pick. I believe the "promise" was higher up.

I strongly believe that the promise was made because of the Joe Johnson incident. Tellem basically told Joe to stay the course and wait for Atlanta when things broke down with our ownership. Other teams were out there and they wanted Joe. I recall Milwaukee wanted Joe and they ended up taking Redd. Also, Tellem orchestrated the whole 2006 draft. He made sure than Roy went to PTL to play for his friend.

So, I don't think BK had much choice.

LOL at ESPN comparing Childress to George Gervin, who had a pretty good jumpshot. Childress wasn't a bust, but he wasn't worthy of a #6 pick either. I remember the surprised reaction on draft night when that pick was announced.

• Premium Member

LOL at ESPN comparing Childress to George Gervin, who had a pretty good jumpshot. Childress wasn't a bust, but he wasn't worthy of a #6 pick either. I remember the surprised reaction on draft night when that pick was announced.

With Josh Smith falling to #17 and Al Jefferson falling to 15 behind Araujo, Swift, and Luke Jackson.. there had to be shock on every pick after 3.

• Premium Member

I disagree with Sekou.

I agree