• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wojnarowski: Hawks getting increased volume of calls about Smith

Admin

Why would Smith be going to Portland? The thinking here is that Jameer goes to Portland and Miller/21 goes to Atlanta and Smith goes to Orlando. It sucks, but that's what it sounds like could be happening.

No way in hell Atlanta helps Orlando get Josh Smith.

Lies........these are all lies.

• Premium Member

MC says..

Trading Smith as a salary dump makes little sense (and is complicated by the $4 million trade kicker his new team would have to pay). Smith is still only 25. He’s productive, versatile, and valuable. The two years and $26 million left on his contract runs neck-and-neck with Al Horford’s new deal as the best bargain on the team. If the Hawks somehow managed to unload Marvin Williams’ contract in the process of trading Smith, then the salary dump angle would make more sense. It still wouldn’t be palatable from a basketball standpoint unless they could also replace Smith’s production in the deal but clearly Williams has the kind of deal they would gladly send away.

If the Hawks also were to work a trade that included Smith and brought them back a superior player (or at least a comparable player at center or small forward) for even a one-season run then it would make some sense from a basketball standpoint. If the Hawks were able to get productive young players and draft picks in a deal, and then turn those assets into something down the line, then that might be a successful path, too.

Maybe it's some draft day delirium on my part, but I think the way the Marvin part is worded, he's merely acknowledging some of the public discussion he's seeing.. I think on the last part there's too much specificity there... I'll probably be wrong, but I'd wager that he knows something and is putting some evidence in the public record.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/06/23/atlanta-hawks-josh-smith-says-hes-not-eager-for-trade/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

No way in hell Atlanta helps Orlando get Josh Smith.

Lies........these are all lies.

But we are dealing with the ASG, and they are complain about losing money even after selling the Trashers, so anything is possible but they will have to live with the aftermath of this.

I thought I'd combine rumors of Andre Miller & the 21st pick for Josh, combined with rumors about Josh and Orlando, combined with rumors of a three way trade with Atlanta, Portland, and Orlando, and here's the best I could come up with that works on ESPN's trade machine (not sure I like it though):

Atlanta: trades Josh Smith & Marvin Williams - gets Jameer Nelson, Ryan Anderson, Andre Miller & 21st pick

Orlando: trades Jameer Nelson, Ryan Anderson & Daniel Orton - gets Josh Smith

Portland: trades Andre Miller & 21st pick - gets Marvin Williams & Daniel Orton

Hawks Lineup (probably results in better cap flexibilty and worse defense - still no inside presence):

1. Jameer Nelson / Jeff Teague

2. Kirk Hinrich / Andre Miller

3. Joe Johnson / 21st pick

4. Ryan Anderson / Zaza Pachulia

5. Al Horford / Zaza Pachula

But we are dealing with the ASG, and they are complain about losing money even after selling the Trashers, so anything is possible but they will have to live with the aftermath of this.

I'm not believing anything revolving around Josh Smith winding up in Orlando.

The ASG has yet to make an addition by subtraction move and Sund is on record saying he will not make such a move.

That is not to say Smoove will not be traded but not for old crap like Camby or Miller and the 21st pick where Smoove winds up in Orlando.

Edited by coachx

I thought I'd combine rumors of Andre Miller & the 21st pick for Josh, combined with rumors about Josh and Orlando, combined with rumors of a three way trade with Atlanta, Portland, and Orlando, and here's the best I could come up with that works on ESPN's trade machine (not sure I like it though):

Atlanta: trades Josh Smith & Marvin Williams - gets Jameer Nelson, Ryan Anderson, Andre Miller & 21st pick

Orlando: trades Jameer Nelson, Ryan Anderson & Daniel Orton - gets Josh Smith

Portland: trades Andre Miller & 21st pick - gets Marvin Williams & Daniel Orton

Hawks Lineup (probably results in better cap flexibilty and worse defense - still no inside presence):

1. Jameer Nelson / Jeff Teague

2. Kirk Hinrich / Andre Miller

3. Joe Johnson / 21st pick

4. Ryan Anderson / Zaza Pachulia

5. Al Horford / Zaza Pachula

I dont think that is going to work while they just exercise Teague contract just yesterday. That will put him back on the bench, still with no True 5 and giving Orlando ammo to beat us up for next 7 - 9 years. ASG, would be boo forever.

I think the only feasible deal would be.....

Atlanta receives: Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Ryan Anderson, Chris Duhon, and 21st pick

Portland receives: Jameer Nelson, Marvin Williams, and Daniel Orton

Orlando receives: Josh Smith

That gives us a ton of cap space after this season while still giving us the potential ability to be a solid, although not great, playoff team. I think we'd still be a 4 or 5 seed in the East depending on other moves.

Hinrch, Miller, Camby, Anderson are all expiring deals clearing $ and putting us under $40 million dedicated for the 2012-2013 season. With alot of big time FA's that year, we'd have the cap room to go after a big name or a few smaller names. This season, we'd have a lineup of....

Miller/Teague

Johnson/Hinrich

????/Wilkins

Horford/Anderson

Camby/Pachulia/Collins

Depending on the restructured CBA, we could still have the MLE to sign a starting SF (someone like Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince, etc...)

That's a heck of a defensive team, but still has alot of questions on offense. We would have the 21st pick and our 2nd round pick to add future players as well.

• Premium Member
Atlanta receives: Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Ryan Anderson, Chris Duhon, and 21st pick

Doesn't make sense for Portland.

I think the only feasible deal would be.....

That gives us a ton of cap space after this season while still giving us the potential ability to be a solid, although not great, playoff team. I think we'd still be a 4 or 5 seed in the East depending on other moves.

Hinrch, Miller, Camby, Anderson are all expiring deals clearing $ and putting us under $40 million dedicated for the 2012-2013 season. With alot of big time FA's that year, we'd have the cap room to go after a big name or a few smaller names. This season, we'd have a lineup of....

Miller/Teague

Johnson/Hinrich

????/Wilkins

Horford/Anderson

Camby/Pachulia/Collins

Depending on the restructured CBA, we could still have the MLE to sign a starting SF (someone like Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince, etc...)

That's a heck of a defensive team, but still has alot of questions on offense. We would have the 21st pick and our 2nd round pick to add future players as well.

But the question will be, if you do those trades, would any big-time FA would come to Atlanta to play for the Hawks. It will be like the Nets, when they didnt get any of the big FA, they just waited and trade for Dwill during the season.

This is a very very dangerous situation, this can be much worst than Nique to Clippers deal, so much worst.

Doesn't make sense for Portland.

Why not? If they're willing to trade Miller and the 21st pick for Nelson, why wouldn't they trade Camby for Marvin and Orton? Now, I'm basing this off my belief they re-sign Greg Oden. Camby is likely to retire after this season and this move gives Portland depth at SF with another defensive guy. His length gives them the ability to play "go small" at times with Aldridge at Center, Wallace at PF, and Marvin at SF.

I'm just spitballing here, but it was just a thought if they were to get involved in this whole mess.

But the question will be, if you do those trades, would any big-time FA would come to Atlanta to play for the Hawks. It will be like the Nets, when they didnt get any of the big FA, they just waited and trade for Dwill during the season.

This is a very very dangerous situation, this can be much worst than Nique to Clippers deal, so much worst.

It is a risky situation, but like the saying goes....you can't win the lotto if you never buy a ticket. I think this is a much safer proposition than banking on winning the lotto, but you have to sometimes take calculated risks. For the ASG, this is a move that could be fiscally smart for them either way. They clear a ton of capspace and bank on bringing a premium talent here. If they miss out on the talent, they save that money and have a lesser product on the floor.

Honestly, I'm less intrigued by this scenario than some of the others, but I can see a silver lining in this one as well. Call me the uber optimist. lol.

It is a risky situation, but like the saying goes....you can't win the lotto if you never buy a ticket. I think this is a much safer proposition than banking on winning the lotto, but you have to sometimes take calculated risks. For the ASG, this is a move that could be fiscally smart for them either way. They clear a ton of capspace and bank on bringing a premium talent here. If they miss out on the talent, they save that money and have a lesser product on the floor.

Honestly, I'm less intrigued by this scenario than some of the others, but I can see a silver lining in this one as well. Call me the uber optimist. lol.

Yes, you are a uber optimist

I never remember a All star type FA that want to come to Atlanta unless they want to bump up the cost of their contract from the other team. (that reminds me when Falcons went through that during their horrible years, but now they want to come here).

Your comparisons just suck.

The Nets did not have 2 current allstars in their primes when they were recruiting free agents last off season. The Nets were also not coming off 4 consecutive playoff trips and 3 consecutive trips into the 2nd round. The Nets were the polar opposite. They had the worst record in the NBA when they were targeting max free agents.

Here is a little tip. Please......never, ever, ever compare Josh Smith to Dominque Wilkens. It just hurts any resemplance of credibility.

Yes, you are a uber optimist

I never remember a All star type FA that want to come to Atlanta unless they want to bump up the cost of their contract from the other team. (that reminds me when Falcons went through that during their horrible years, but now they want to come here).

You must think back to when the Hawks were actually good.

Atlanta Hawks signed Mutumbo when they were good.

Atlanta Hawks signed Moses Malone they we were good.

The Hawks have 2 allstars on their current team and 4 consective playoff trips.

Edited by coachx