• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks want to sign Lighty?

lunar

from ajc.com's minicamp notes

Whenever the Hawks can sign players, it sounds as if they will make a run at David Lighty. The Hawks worked him out before the draft.

L.D.: “Lighty is a gutsy defender. He can defend maybe three positions. That is what we are looking for as we move into next summer. I want guys that can defend where it’s already instilled in him, it’s in their DNA. Lighty has been a tremendous defender throughout his career and certainly he would be a plus to have on this team.”

Lighty on defense: “That is something where you help separate yourself from others. Everybody wants to see somebody score but the little things are what win basketball games. I try to focus on that.”

Lighty said the Cavaliers, Pistons, Suns, Spurs and Hornets also wanted to bring him in. Why the Hawks? “It was about [looking at] teams that I would like and fit my style of play,” he said. “They have open spots and they have free agents at the two guard.”

could he have been the hawks fourth guard? with point guard being set with Teague and Hinrich, the hawks could use to have a minimum salary player in Lighty to back up Joe.

i hope so because we need a defensive minded two guard

after seeing Jamal struggle last year on d and there's not too many defensive minded guards in free agency that we can sign

still think we should swing a deal for Richard Hamilton marv/zaza/2nd for rip/daye seems to come to mind

• Premium Member

Good defender. Does he replace D Wilks?

I hope not. Damien was great for the Hawks last season. He still has game on both ends of the floor. With that said Lighty would be a great fit from I read about him. Decent size and he already knows his role. Plus the fact that so many teams are trying to scoop him up is a good sign. It all depends on what is done with Jamal. Somebody has to come in and put some points on the board. The Hazell kid seemed like a good fit for that, but Lighty seems like the 'safer' choice.

• Like 1

I need to chime in on this, obviously, sorry it took so long.

His athletic ability was on par with anyone playing the college game last season. He's every adjective you can find to describe an athlete. Problem is, if he's 6'6, like many of the draft reports say, than I'm nuts. He's not that tall...6'5 maybe, big maybe...with shoes.

He's not a shooting guard. He can't create his own shot off the dribble at all. If he's making shots outside 15 feet, his feet must be set, and have time. His release is slow... I'll give him credit, he's a worker. His jump shot got so much better over the years, but its' still really not at the NBA level. He couldn't shoot at all when he first arrived at Ohio State.

His size, lack of a consistent jumper, and thinking he is a (2) when he's actually a (3) is why he wasn't drafted. (Jon Diebler was our 2) That being said..

I love Lighty, and that's not the homer in me. He is the proverbial "glue guy". He plays his *ss off. Can guard anyone, anyone...(if he's tall enough!). Great in transition, only if going to the basket...he's not fading off for an open three in transition like a typical two, he's attacking the rim. Honestly, he reminds me of Mario West, with a better jump shot, if he's open. He's a smart player, has a motor that doesn't end, and gives everything for the team...Gotta love that

The Atlanta Hawks should have the pick of any undrafted SG right now.

they only have one SG on the roster as of right now and that one SG will be 30 next season. Plus JJ is just as good at SF as he is SG. In fact he will probably make a permanent move to SF eventually as he loses a step.

If Lighty makes the team wouldn't that give us 5 guards?

1. Kirkland

2. Jeffrey

3. Joseph

4. Pepsi?

5. Lighty

And then Joe and Lighty (if he sticks) could play some minutes at the 3 depending on the lineup, i suppose.

I've never heard of any of those guys. :pleasantry:

By my count we only have 3 guards under contract for next season:

JJ

Teague

Hinrich

Edited by coachx

I must say, these invites look a hell of alot better than last year's summer league and preseason roster fodder that even Stevie Wonder could tell had zero future in the NBA. I could honestly see half of these guys getting one or two 10 days over the course of a full season. Not much but a step up from the warm bodies we threw out last time to field a full team.

SMH @ this thread.

And people wonder why some of us still talk about "what's his name" in Washington.

God forbid we look towards the future and make the best of what we have available to us at this point instead of wallowing over a past decision.

Dol . . this is the situation we're ALWAYS in though. It just gets old. This team does this stupid ish to themselves.

The dude in Washington was traded for ( not drafted ), but traded for the specific reason to add to our guard rotation in case JJ left us. When we retained JJ, his role became to possibly replace Jamal.

Now we possibly don't have Jamal, nor his possible replacement, and will possibly lose Hinrich next season for the exact same reason.

You ask why I'm so negative these days. I may have to start an entire new thread on that.

Dol . . this is the situation we're ALWAYS in though. It just gets old. This team does this stupid ish to themselves.

The dude in Washington was traded for ( not drafted ), but traded for the specific reason to add to our guard rotation in case JJ left us. When we retained JJ, his role became to possibly replace Jamal.

Now we possibly don't have Jamal, nor his possible replacement, and will possibly lose Hinrich next season for the exact same reason.

You ask why I'm so negative these days. I may have to start an entire new thread on that.

Aren't you the guy that's being calling out the pessimistic guys for years now?

Who says that's what he was drafted (okay technically traded) for? JC2 could have easily been drafted with Sund knowing full well that he has a plan to keep JC1 and would use JC2 as a trade chip.

And good grief man we still have half of a season to do something with Hinrich or possibly bring him back with a favorable contract next year.