• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Props to Frank Wren

coachx

Props to Frank Wren for holding on to our young pitchers. The young lefty (Minor) was dominant last night against the Cy Young award winner with 6 score less innings. That 1-0 victory is a huge blow to the Giants wild card hopes.

I'm so glad the Braves did not give up Minor, Teheran, or Vizcaino for a 1 or 2 year rental bat...........especially with Hanson, Jurrjens, and Lowe all ailing at the same time.

Adding Bourne while keeping our key prospects was pure genius by Wren.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agreed. It was a homerun move by Wren. I love that the Braves continue to draft and develop elite young pitching. It has been the hallmark of their rise from "league doormats" to one of the top teams in baseball over the last 20 years.

• Moderators

Everyone seemed to think we needed to get Beltran but I am so glad we didn't. I'm not sure but I believe he hasn't even played much for San Fran and Michael Bourne has already helped us look like a much more dynamic team.

There is a very good chance Bourne will be the more valuable player in and of himself, let alone give the much lower price tag. Just a great deal for the Braves.

Wren has done a fine job so far as GM, but the Bourn move was one of his best. I think he was responsible for the trade of Renteria to the Tigers for Jurrjens, which was a coup. Scheurholz made some real stinkers in his last several years with the team, including shipping off Wainright and Marquis for 1 season of JD Drew, and sending the Rangers 4 strong prospects (Andrus, Feliz, Salty, Harrison) who are all big contributors now for 1 season of Teixeira.

I think Frank has done an excellent job. He has shown that he is not willing to give up high level prospect for short term rentals.

The only thing I'm not 100% behind since Frank has taken over is the change in the Braves drafting philosophy. I prefer that they draft high upside high school players like they did when Paul Snyder, Dayton Moore, and Roy Clark ran the scouting department. Since Tony DeMacio has taken over, the Braves have gone more college heavy with their drafting. I don't know if this is by design or if it is due to financial constraints Liberty Media has placed on them.

This last week was a very good run by the Braves. Taking 6 out of 7 from NLW leaders is a very strong showing. We need to keep momentum going and take 2 out of 3 from the Cubs now.

Re: Frank Wren. I generally like what he's done. I have noticed he seems to over acquire for a given weakness. A few years ago he went out and got Lowe and Kawakami, when all we really needed was Lowe. Or in the current situation we have Constanza and Bourn. Not that I'm complaining about the speed tag team, it is more of an observation that Wren tends to over acquire when he sees a need.

• Like 1