The Official Countdown Towards Mark Richt's Firing

Eddielives

So, as a Georgia fan, I'm pretty sick of waiting for this program to get back to legitimacy. It's been about 4 consecutive years now of consistent degradation. Even the last year of Stafford and Moreno was disappointing despite the injuries. And I'm so sick of hearing how pious a man Richt is and the references to his success before this program's downfall. I'm sorry, but it's more than time to hold this guy accountable. So I predict Mark Richt is fired before the end of the season but I cannot say exactly when. Just curious what others think.

I have long defended Richt but there is now no disputing that the program has eroded from its apex in late 2007/preseason 2008 to lower tier SEC also-ran. From the home date in 2008 vs Alabama, when UGA got its doors blown off at home (after beating Bama in OT on the road in 2007), UGA football has been in steady decline.

All of the goodwill that was built up over the offseason was undone within the first 3 quarters of 2011. It is not so much the losing (although that in itself is painful) but how they lose. We see the same patterns in every game with silly mental errors, blown assignments, wasted timeouts to get the correct personnel on the field, etc. Bobo's playcalling is also working everyone's nerves -- I am so sick of running sprint draws out of the shotgun on 1st and 10, 2nd and 10, and 3rd and short.

While I am not surprised Kellen Moore was able to slice up Georgia's secondary, I don't understand how UGA's line got dominated by the smaller Boise on both sides of the ball. UGA perennially has top 10 recruiting classes yet this does not translate to success on the field. To wit, three of the best at their respective skill positions have come through the program in the last few years (speaking of Moreno, Stafford and Green) and this did not translate to even one berth in the SEC Championship game (although the 2007 season was very good).

Richt's past success can only carry him so far. If he does not orchestrate a major turnaround this season (and the schedule lines up nicely for him to do so, although I wouldn't expect it based on what we've seen recently) I will expect him to be fired in the offseason, possibly before whatever lower-tier bowl game UGA plays in.

In most cases it is counterproductive to fire a head coach during the season, although that could happen if the Bulldogs are terribly bad. I still count myself a Richt fan, but his time is running out. He needs to pull out all the stops to save his job and fast. If he needs to take back playcalling from Bobo, whatever -- now is not the time to worry about hurt feelings. He is paid over US$1m per annum + endorsements/perquisites to win games.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed in the program. I actually thought this started going down hill after the celebration Fla game. Doesn't particullarly matter though. What matters is that the team is soft, poorly organized, and has no discipline.

So, who does UGA go after? Kirby Smart? Or some mid-level school that has had great success like TCU?

I'm disappointed in the program. I actually thought this started going down hill after the celebration Fla game.

So, who does UGA go after? Kirby Smart? Or some mid-level school that has had great success like TCU?

They won the rest of their schedule in convincing fashion after the celebration game (??).

Poaching a successful coach at a mid-level program has worked in the past. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Kirby as the head man, although it seems he is headed that way somewhere, eventually.

Seems Greg McGarity has done a good job so far; would be interesting to see how he does with his first major hire.

Boise controlled the game. As what happened with the defense, I am willing to cut them some slack. Boise ran no-huddle much of the time and due to the offense being horrible, they never got a break. But CTG needed to see that the front 3 weren't getting any pressure and blitz more. Plus it seemed that we were playing a lot of zone. Cover 2 zone didn't work with CWM, it's not gonna work now.

But Bobo does need to go. I wonder if by firing Bobo, Richt could possibly save another year. If we go 0-2 to start, Richt needs to take the playbook away from CMB. It is the same plays year after year. The same draw plays up the middle for no gain. Aaron Murray hanging onto the ball for way too long (partially the line's fault, some Murray). The team looked a lot worse than last year. You have a big bruising back, but you run him to the outside. You have a fast, speedy back and you run him up the middle. You have a huge 80 year run, you never run that again.

If Richt is gone, Smart is likely on the top of the list. I have heard some fans who want Dan Mullen from Mississippi State. I'm not sure he would come.

• Moderators

Very disappointing opener. Some good posts here already, I will just reiterate that I am sick of seeing the "same tune, different season" issues with a lack of discipline on the field; a lack of positive play from the offensive line - when was the last time we had a plus line?; and the terrible playcalling from Bobo. I was convinced coming into this season that unless something changed in the offseason that sticking with Bobo would likely be the decision that costs Richt his job.

I'm not throwing in the towel after losing the opening game to the #5 team in the country (think about Virginia Tech last season, for example), but Richt is officially in hot water.

Very disappointing opener. Some good posts here already, I will just reiterate that I am sick of seeing the "same tune, different season" issues with a lack of discipline on the field; a lack of positive play from the offensive line - when was the last time we had a plus line?; and the terrible playcalling from Bobo. I was convinced coming into this season that unless something changed in the offseason that sticking with Bobo would likely be the decision that costs Richt his job.

I'm not throwing in the towel after losing the opening game to the #5 team in the country (think about Virginia Tech last season, for example), but Richt is officially in hot water.

The line play was the most discouraging part; Richt has said as much in the aftermath (specifically the offensive line). We have heard for several years how big and physical the UGA offensive line will be, however this has not translated to game day. UGA got ZERO push on either side of the ball in the trenches. Crowell gained every one of those 60 yards on his own.

Samuel still seems to have the ability to run into the first body he sees (either the back of his own linemen or the first defender through).

• Moderators

I have little hope for Samuel but our offense's future depends on development of the line for both rushing success and pass protection. It is frustrating to see top rating on our OL recruits every year and subpar production every year.

Don't forget that VanGorder could not even handle the media stress at Georgia Southern.

He is a fine defensive corrdinator but he is not head coaching material for college. He is never doing all the dinners with 20 Bulldog Clubs across the south every weekend of the off season. He is not the politically correct type you need as a head coach being the figure head for your university.

I'm anxious to see how the Dawgs fare vs. USC and the rest of the SEC.

I want to see our defense stop giving up over 30 points too.

Right now that Ogletree injury has Richt and Grantham up at night. Lattimore rushed for about 200 yards on 35 carries last year vs. the Dawgs. Now we have 205 lb backup MLB who is a walk-on having to start and stuff the run. This is the spot Samuel WAS backing up but he had to move to RB.

The Dawgs may have to scrap the 3-4 and play some 4-3 defense vs. the Gamecocks in order to get their best players on the field. Put big Geathers and Jenkins in together at DT and stuff the middle.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

One positive for Richt that I saw on the ESPN SEC blog:

SEC COACHES VS. WINNING TEAMS

A look at how all 12 coaches in the league have fared during their careers against teams that finished the season with a winning record.

Coach Team Record

Mark Richt Georgia 50-31, .617

Nick Saban Alabama 63-46, .578

Steve Spurrier USC 80-68-2, .540

Les Miles LSU 36-34, .514

Bobby Petrino Arkansas 23-22, .511

Gene Chizik Auburn 11-15, .423

Houston Nutt Ole Miss 36-61, .371

Joker Phillips Kentucky 2-4, .333

Dan Mullen Miss. St. 5-11, .313

Derek Dooley Tennessee 1-21, .045

Will Muschamp Florida 0-0, First year

James Franklin Vanderbilt 0-0, First year

Edited by AHF

Well the effort was a lot better and Crowell is the real deal. The defense played reasonably well and the Bennett kid looks like a decent possession receiver.

They were probably 2-3 touchdowns better than South Carolina on Saturday but you can't give away 28 points on offense and special teams and expect to come out a winner.

UGA took another hit at their thinnest position with the foot injury to Robinson. It is a bit discouraging that there are not more depth at this position and of course it is the one that is tested right from the start.

• Moderators

Agreed. Much better effort and showing but the fact that we couldn't take one of these two games against highly ranked teams means that Richt cannot affort to lose when we are the favorites. The rest of the schedule isn't a bunch of #4 and #12 ranked teams so we should see some Ws immediately.

The worst moment of the game was the fake punt for me. Every time we play Spurrier I assume every punt is going to be a fake and that it is going to work. When a Spurrier team punts, I breath a sigh of relief. Yet we still let Spurrier's teams fake their way to big plays over and over again. It was painfully predictable. It also looked like Richt predicted it was coming and was #$*&ed when his team didn't stop it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

4-2 with a win in Knoxville is a much better position for Richt. With Florida stumbling, UGA has the chance to step up and take the East this season. The schedule couldn't be kinder. Richt will be writing his own ticket based on his team's performance, IMO.

Neyland Stadium was insane Saturday night. I've been there several times but never remember it ever being louder then it was Saturday night. UT fans are great folks too.

Congrats to Mark Richt for reaching 100 wins quicker then any coach in UGA's history. He showed some major confidence in the offense by going for it on 4th down 3 times in the opening quarter (2 times on the first drive).

Its so nice to see UGA have a good defense again and we finally went a game without turning the ball over.

Now UGA fans must hope our dynamic freshman Mitchell and Crowell can get healthy for Florida in 3 weeks. It seems like every year we have the better team then Florida we limp into the World's Largest Cocktail Party all banged up.

The Dawgs should be 5-2 and back in the Top 25 by Oct 29th.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Neyland Stadium was insane Saturday night. I've been there several times but never remember it ever being louder then it was Saturday night. UT fans are great folks too.

Congrats to Mark Richt for reaching 100 wins quicker then any coach in UGA's history. He showed some major confidence in the offense by going for it on 4th down 3 times in the opening quarter (2 times on the first drive).

Its so nice to see UGA have a good defense again and we finally went a game without turning the ball over.

Now UGA fans must hope Mitchell and Crowell get healthy for Florida in 3 weeks. It seems like every year we have the better team then Florida we limp into the World's Largest Cocktail Party all banged up. The Dawgs should be 5-2 and back in the top 25 by Oct 29th.

If I were doing UGA's schedule, we would have an off week every year before the Florida game until we had beaten UF several times in a row.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I were doing UGA's schedule, we would have an off week every year before the Florida game until we had beaten UF several times in a row.

That certainly was Spurrier's plan!

So Richt has cleaned this season up for now but a loss at Florida will bring the heat right back in my opinion. He has to break the trend of GA wetting the bed against this team. If UGA does win, they are set up to have a chance at playing LSU or Alabama for the SEC championship. I know South Carolina is still hanging around but I think they will lose one or two more games.