• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency is coming up, who would you like the Hawks to pickup?

willthepureshooter

I would like to begin my first post of the season with a big "HELLO" to the squawker family!! Now back to business.. As we all are aware, the NBA free agency starts on Dec. 9, 2011. If you were the Atlanta Spirit Group.. *cough..cough.. nevermind! If you were an owner of the Hawks who would you go after in this years free agency? Please include why you would select the player..

Here's the list of 2011 NBA Free Agents:

C Tyson Chandler (Mavericks)

C Marc Gasol (Grizzlies)

C Nene (Nuggets)

F David West (Hornets)

G/F Wilson Chandler (Nuggets)

F Chuck Hayes (Rockets)

F Tayshaun Prince (Pistons)

G Jason Richardson (Magic)

G Jamal Crawford (Hawks)

G J.J. Barea (Mavericks)

F Caron Butler (Mavericks)

G DeShawn Stevenson (Mavericks)

G Aaron Brooks* (Phoenix Suns)

G/F Vince Carter (Suns)

F Grant Hill (Suns)

F/G Josh Howard (Washington Wizards)

G Tracy McGrady (Pistons)

G Rodney Stuckey* (Pistons)

G Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks)

F Shane Battier (Grizzlies)

F Kris Humphries (New Jersey Nets)

F Josh McRoberts (Indiana Pacers);

C Samuel Dalembert (Sacramento Kings)

G Shannon Brown (Lakers)

G Arron Afflalo (Nuggets)

F Carl Landry (Hornets)

F Chase Budinger (Rockets)

F Glen Davis (Celtics)

F/G J.R. Smith (Signed Non Opt-out Contract in China)

F Kenyon Martin (Signed Non Opt-out Contract in China)

This should be the correct list of free agents but let me know if I missing anyone that's noteworthy. I will be back to put together my free agent pick(s).

• Moderators

I realize this is a stretch...but if his knees are healthy and we could get him at a decent price...I'd take Tayshaun Prince. I've just always liked his game.

I would definitely take him at the same price over Crawford. He isn't as explosive a scorer but he does everything else better and is still a plus player on the defensive side of the floor.

Edited by AHF

No one important. If we could get CP3 and Okafor That changes things a lot.

There's lots of good players on that list, but the problem is ATL won't have the $ to afford most of them. I don't know how the new CBA works and if there's a MLE any longer. If so, the best we could do is someone like a Tayshaun Prince at the MLE (if he'd take that). Guys like Tyson Chandler, Sam Dalembert, and Nene are really good centers that I'd like us to get, but they'll get much more than the MLE somehwere else.

I would definitely take him at the same price over Crawford. He isn't as explosive a scorer but he does everything else better and is still a plus player on the defensive side of the floor.

I heard that Tayshaun Prince died in a tragic accident when his teammates mistakenly made a matchstick house out of him.

Chandler would be the best add from the list , Well Gasol would be better but $$$$$$

move Al to PF and slide Josh over w/ Marvin coming off the bench! Hey a guy can dream right?

We don't have any money but for min and vet min guys. The only guys we will get is the guys in coming to training camp, Collins and unlikely but who knows, Iverson.

was it Kurt that people was saying is on the last year of his contract? Maybe package him and Marvin together for a trae for some roll players and make a move for Chandler

was it Kurt that people was saying is on the last year of his contract? Maybe package him and Marvin together for a trae for some roll players and make a move for Chandler

Why would Dallas do that deal? Chandler>>>Both players for them.

We need some players who brings toughness to the team. Defense.

Joe Alexander

• Moderators

Chandlers a free agent right?

Trade Kurt and Marvin to make room for signing Chandler..Not trade for Chandler

We are at almost 69M right now for salaries and minimum cap holds. If we gave Kurt and Marvin away for nothing, that would free up less than 5 million in room under the cap (it would take us to roughly 53M which is 5M below a 58M cap). Do you really think Chandler would sign for that little? I doubt it. We could trade Marvin and Kurt for Chandler but we aren't freeing up cap space to sign any significant free agent.

Edited by AHF

We are at almost 69M right now for salaries and minimum cap holds. If we gave Kurt and Marvin away for nothing, that would free up less than 5 million in room under the cap (it would take us to roughly 53M which is 5M below a 58M cap). Do you really think Chandler would sign for that little? I doubt it. We could trade Marvin and Kurt for Chandler but we aren't freeing up cap space to sign any significant free agent.

See you guys no more about our cap situation then I do...I guess we are in a lose lose situation with the money and are pretty much stuck with what we have unless a trade goes down

• Moderators

See you guys no more about our cap situation then I do...I guess we are in a lose lose situation with the money and are pretty much stuck with what we have unless a trade goes down

That is how I see it. I don't see much benefit to shedding salaries or using the amnesty clause without another move in the wings. The only way shedding Marvin's salary makes sense for this season is if we then sign Crawford. Since Crawford is our FA, we can go over the cap to sign him - unlike Chandler and other FAs. We would still need to get another SF then as well.

We can't justify going on over the LT. We aren't going to sell over 85% in attendance. Most of the teams Atlanta plays will be East teams. 3 times for East. once for Western. We might not even play LAL or OKC in Atlanta. We don't make much money. Why sign Jamal when we can't make the money to justify it. That's our biggest problem. Why focus on fail when he could focus on hope. This is the fail. We can't sign anyone and we are stuck with the same team while others around us keep getting better. Our only hope is Jeff Teague which will truly hurt Horford effectiveness. This is our reality and it's bad, all bad. Not a money maker on the roster, not making money, not really interesting with a lot of talent that doesn't fit. The only thing we have is our great talent base. Josh Smith, Horford, Johnson, and soon Teague. No point in buying out Marvin, we got to find a replacement, good luck. SF aren't a dime a dozen and after the top 8, the rest like average or worst.

• Premium Member

Moreso than any free agent we could sign or even where we end up at the end of the season, I'm looking forward to Jeff Teague. I want to see what he's going to bring to the table long term. To a much lesser extent... If (when) we let Jamal walk, I'm anxious to see what kind of impact it has on Marvin.