• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew and our Hawks dissed again.

Buzzard

Tom Thibodeau gets coach of the month for leading his team to a 1.5 game lead over our LD coached team that has played without our all star center/pf for the last 11 or so games.

I really think this NBA led ( or should I say bled ) media crap of Sterns is exactly why small market teams have no chance. Even when teams like ours blow up what most expect from us, its still big market teams that reaps the attention. Even when all they do is the samething they did last year and is exactly what most expected this year.

Same old same old in the NBA.....The NFL will always outclass the NBA by leaps and bounds when it comes to marketing and promoting the Davids' vs Goliaths' of the sporting world.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

Until Atlanta begins to respect and support the Hawks....outside sources will not. Problem is Atlanta is waiting for espn and the like to tell them that the Hawks are worth a d@mn (backwards).

I don't see it that way. 49ers, Packers, Raiders, New Orleans. Four small market teams that are able to compete at a high level. Raiders faded but they were the talk through first half of the season. Nothing like that exist in the NBA. BIG MARKETS, BIG BANNERS, BIG MEDIA RULES.

Orlando was looking at a championship over the last 6 years, next season they will be looking at the lottery. You can say they deserve it, but how many times does a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady just walk. Dwight Howard is that important, but the NBA and Players in general do not care.

All that matters is Dwight will get paid and the big market teams will continue to dominate. I am really starting to sour on the NBA. For all the tough talk of making small market teams competitive, I do not think anything has changed. Maybe next season, we will see a small market team or two in the finals. Here is to dreaming...

Edited by Buzzard

Tom Thibodeau gets coach of the month for leading his team to a 1.5 game lead over our LD coached team that has played without our all star center/pf for the last 11 or so games...

Well to be fair Thibo has a rep and LD is a borderline rookie...advanced to head coach primarily for $$ reasons. What we have seen this year (for the most part) - consistent defensive efforts that have crushed teams - is a new thing for outsiders - and a fairly new thing for me rolleyes.gif .

That said, I am seriously impressed with LD's work this year. He has seemed to have "learned his team" and reacts better to situations each game.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

I don't see it that way. 49ers, Packers, Raiders, New Orleans. Four small market teams that are able to compete at a high level. Raiders faded but they were the talk through first half of the season. Nothing like that exist in the NBA. BIG MARKETS, BIG BANNERS, BIG MEDIA RULES.

Orlando was looking at a championship over the last 6 years, next season they will be looking at the lottery. You can say they deserve it, but how many times does a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady just walk. Dwight Howard is that important, but the NBA and Players in general do not care.

All that matters is Dwight will get paid and the big market teams will continue to dominate. I am really starting to sour on the NBA. For all the tough talk of making small market teams competitive, I do not think anything has changed. Maybe next season, we will see a small market team or two in the finals. Here is to dreaming...

I couldn't agree more.

• Premium Member

Hawks now within 1 game of first in the East (thank you, Philly).

~lw3

True but we have some tough games coming up including the 76ers. I just texted my brother about how crazy it would be to have Larry Drew coaching the Eastern All Stars. But the Hawks are going to have to beat teams like the 76ers and Pacers at some point to move up in the standings. Both teams give the Hawks problems because of their balanced attacks and tough defense. They kinda give the Hawks a taste of their own medicine.

Again, I really don't understand the outrage here. The Bulls had a better record with more injuries. Rose missed 5, Deng missed 5, Rip missed 12, and they had a handful of other missed games throughout the roster. Both teams played easy schedules. What's the problem with Thibodeau winning? Who cares about coach of the month anyway? I honestly didn't even know they had a coach of the month award until you made this thread.

I would have to respectfully disagree, Indiana, (great fan base), Denver (great fan base), Utah (great fan base) Portland (greater fanbase),and Philly. When these teams are doing well, they get talked about in the media (in a positive way). I believe it all starts at home, if your local media trashes you, your home crowd doesn't show up for games, your fans cheer for the other team, analyst dog you on national telivision. Where is the motivation for outside sourses to put some stock in your team. Its kind of like the saying, if you don't believe in yourself, why should I?

• Like 1

I would have to respectfully disagree, Indiana, (great fan base), Denver (great fan base), Utah (great fan base) Portland (greater fanbase),and Philly. When these teams are doing well, they get talked about in the media (in a positive way). I believe it all starts at home, if your local media trashes you, your home crowd doesn't show up for games, your fans cheer for the other team, analyst dog you on national telivision. Where is the motivation for outside sourses to put some stock in your team. Its kind of like the saying, if you don't believe in yourself, why should I?

Definitely agree with this, that it starts at home. Don't forget probably the smallest market in the entire NBA and maybe the most engaged fan base, Oklahoma City, gets plenty of national media attention and love, and has a great chance to be in and win the championship this year.

Well said.

I think everyone that disagrees is missing the main point concerning Orlando.

In the NFL, NO STAR CAN WALK AWAY. NOW THEY HAVE TO PAY SAID STAR HIS VALUE WHICH IS FAIR. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY BRADY AND MANNING STAY PUT.

Classic example happened right here in Cincinnati with Carson Palmer. He had two choices, play for the Bengals or retire. Bengals had the option of trading him, which they did later in the season but he did retire until he was traded. Think Dwight, Bosh, Bron, or Amare would have retired without pay? Dream on.

The NFL rewards all teams for drafting and trading well with their bargaining agreement. The NBA consistently rewards only the rich with theirs.

Edited by Buzzard