• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rondo selected over Smith for Joe's injury spot

Joker

Boston has two All Stars. Atlanta none.

• Premium Member

"There has been no official announcement from the NBA, but it would make sense for Rondo to go considering the Eastern Conference needs another guard with Johnson unable to play. The campaigning for Josh Smith is in full effect, but Rondo appears to be getting the nod in Johnson's place."

This is your basis?

I kinda figured he'd go, especially after everyone was slurping him after he had the triple-double after the selections came out and everyone thought he was snubbed. I guess they had to replace the guard position as well. Just shows how much everyone hates Josh, I guess it was Stern who calls the replacements, although it's hard to fathom how he could pick a guy serving suspension. Rondo got in simply off the strength of going before, having a ring, averaging double-digit assists, and playing for a much more prestigious franchise. Looking at the numbers, that surely doesn't make it right. Josh has played 10 more games (that should be enough in itself) and scores more. 4 turnovers a game for Rondo should eliminate him, but he plays more minutes and, most importantly, shoots a higher percentage than Josh's respectable, but far below what he should be shooting at .458. That's my biggest gripe with Smoove. Early in the season, it seemed like he was focused on shooting over .500, and that focus will undoubtedly prevent him from drifting to the perimeter and instead demand post touches where he is unquestionably more effective. But slowly and surely, his shooting percentage drops daily, weekly, monthly. Smart players are obsessed with hitting half their shots, especially the "bigs" (don't really consider Josh one, but for practical purposes). This is the main reason he's looked upon unfavorably, because it should be so easy for him to do that while being a dominant weak-side defender and shot blocker. I feel for the guy not reaching a goal I'm sure every player who is drafted strives to reach, but hey. It's life. His monstrous, once in a generation performances evidently can't make up for his erratic play and boneheadedness at times in the eyes of the NBA Fraternity. Regardless if it's justified or not, it's a shame nonetheless. Message to Josh (as if any players read our blog): Shoot 50%, block 3 shots a game, and develop thick skin. They can't deny you a bid if you do, no matter how much they hate you.

• Moderators

I know we fuss about attytood on the court all the time, but if that was Smoove treating a ref like he was picking up the spare, never mind an All-Star selection, Stern probably would've had him jailed instead of suspended. How do the coaches approve an All-Star nod to Josh's Oak Hill buddy, in particular, after that incident?

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Did you even read it???

"It’s not official from the league yet, but multiple sources out of Boston — including CSNNE.com’s A. Sherrod Blakely — are reporting that Atlanta’s Joe Johnson is going to have to pull out of the All-Star Game in Orlando this week (and the Three-Point Contest)."

Notice... the part that's not official yet is that Joe Johnson hasn't pulled out officially yet.

That means that there's not an official word on if Rondo was choosen.

Moreover....

Did you catch the tweet quote...

And then there were two … #Celtics all-stars this year. Rajon Rondo will replace #Hawks G/F Joe Johnson.

The two are Josh Smith and Rondo...

My bet is that this is just Boston Speculation that you are propagating.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/02/22/joe-johnson-out-of-all-stars-its-time-to-put-josh-smith-in/

Diesel, I got word before I even posted this that Stern wanted a G to replace a G. I don't think this was Smith getting snub but who knows.

I think Pierce probably shouldn't be an all star this year. But there is no question that Rondo should take Joe Johnson's spot for one single reason: without JJ, the east has only Deron Williams as a real guard on the bench. Iguodala made it as a guard but he plays small forward for the sixers.

Any clue as to who will replace him in the 3 pt shootout?

Josh Smith man_in_love.gif

• Like 1

I think Pierce probably shouldn't be an all star this year. But there is no question that Rondo should take Joe Johnson's spot for one single reason: without JJ, the east has only Deron Williams as a real guard on the bench. Iguodala made it as a guard but he plays small forward for the sixers.

"Now, you see, thats just politics right there. POLITICS I TELL YOU! I can play the guard some too, but all these coaches want to play their political games." ~very loosely what I would expect Josh to respond with.

When the All-Star rules clearly state the bench needs 2 guards 2 forwards 1 center and 2 "wild cards" it is hard to argue with what dlpin.

"Now, you see, thats just politics right there. POLITICS I TELL YOU! I can play the guard some too, but all these coaches want to play their political games." ~very loosely what I would expect Josh to respond with.

When the All-Star rules clearly state the bench needs 2 guards 2 forwards 1 center and 2 "wild cards" it is hard to argue with what dlpin.

Who's more of a "wild card" than Josh Smith??!

• Like 1