• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops: NBA Trade Deadline 2012: SB Nation Gives The Run Down On The Atlanta Hawks

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

Mar 3, 2012; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Hawks guard Kirk Hinrich (6) fouls Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) during the first half at Philips Arena.  Mandatory Credit: Josh D. Weiss-US PRESSWIRE

SB Nation NBA writer Tom Ziller gives the run down on the Atlanta Hawks heading into the March 15 trade deadline. Ziller cites the early rumors of Atlanta getting in on the Dwight Howard chase but says if they must aim lower then Kevin Garnett might be an intriguing trade prospect in the short term particularly until they can get Al Horford back.

If Atlanta is forced by Howard's enigmatic wish list to aim lower, Kevin Garnett is an intriguing option. Even at this stage of his career, KG is worth a first-round pick and maybe a prospect. If Boston looks to retool, there could be a match here.

The real info here is that the Hawks are currently slightly over the luxury tax threshold which all but guarantees that the team will be making some sort of roster move before the end of the regular season even if it is just simply releasing a player to get under the number.

Per ShamSports.com

, the Hawks ($70.4 million) are on the cusp of the luxury tax threshold (which is at $70.3 million), and will be forced to make some small salary cut at the deadline if a larger deal isn't executed first.

There have been a variety of trade rumors involving the Hawks so far this season including everyone from Marvin Williams and Kirk Hinrich to Josh Smith and Joe Johnson. That is likely to intensify as we get closer to the March 15 deadline.

For more on the Atlanta Hawks check out SB Nation Atlanta, follow Jason Walker and Kris Willis, along with Peachtree Hoops on Twitter and check out the Peachtree Hoops Facebook Fan Page.

di
di

View the full article

I find this to be pretty interesting...

NEEDS & TARGETS

Frankly, the Hawks need Al Horford back. The big Dominican is the franchise's best player, and though Atlanta stayed strong in the immediate aftermath of his pectoral injury, things have begun to fall apart. On the season, the Hawks are now just about break-even in center matchups, according to 82games.com. Before the injury, Horford had been destroying the competition.

Early in the season, there were murmurs that Atlanta would make a play for native son Dwight Howard, perhaps offering up Horford. If Howard signals that he would sign a long-term contract with the Hawks, it's a no-brainer deal for both sides. Howard is one of the few big men better than Horford, and the Dominican is far better than the current Howard exchange rate, Brook Lopez.

If Atlanta is forced by Howard's enigmatic wish list to aim lower, Kevin Garnett is an intriguing option. Even at this stage of his career, KG is worth a first-round pick and maybe a prospect. If Boston looks to retool, there could be a match here.

The Hawks could also stand to upgrade the reserve wings. Willie Green, Tracy McGrady, Jannero Pargo and Vladimir Radmanovic are getting a whole lot of minutes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, earlier, I mentioned that we could probably get Orlando to go for Horf for Howard... we add in some firsts and other things... but that got ridiculed. Now, you're intrigued? Are you intrigued by the possibility of getting Howard or do you finally see that Horf being the number 2 big in the East for Howard is not laughable?

Actually, I think that a title run is worth the shot regardless of what Howard's will is. I would send them Horf with no picks for a title run with D12... IF D12 Walks, we have the capspace to go after a lesser big like Kaman.

However, if Orlando can deliver Howard with longterm signing, I would give them a pick to make it happen.

Interesting.

• Moderators

Well, earlier, I mentioned that we could probably get Orlando to go for Horf for Howard... we add in some firsts and other things... but that got ridiculed. Now, you're intrigued? Are you intrigued by the possibility of getting Howard or do you finally see that Horf being the number 2 big in the East for Howard is not laughable?

Actually, I think that a title run is worth the shot regardless of what Howard's will is. I would send them Horf with no picks for a title run with D12... IF D12 Walks, we have the capspace to go after a lesser big like Kaman.

However, if Orlando can deliver Howard with longterm signing, I would give them a pick to make it happen.

Interesting.

I'd be shocked if this hasn't been on the table for months. If orlando pulls the trigger it would be hard to see dwight walking away from the Hawks and Smoove to go play in new jersey. A few months of playing in his hometown, with his best friend, and the honeymoon period of being the talk of the town would go a long ways toward getting him to sign.

• Premium Member

If we cant get Howard. I dont see any move we can make. I dont want KG. He is just to old. WIth KG we go second round again.

I think Orlando would go for Horf/2 first/Hinrich for Howard.

Here's why.

They want youth and capspace.

Horf is a young bull who is a two time allstar.

They get 2 firsts.

Then they don't take on anymore cap....

It's a win for them. Regardless of the fact that they are losing their best player.

Hell, they might be able to then send Hinrich or Nelson to the Lakers for TPE.

If Howard is not willing to resign with us at the trade, I would offer Orlando the same deal with no picks.

I'd be shocked if this hasn't been on the table for months. If orlando pulls the trigger it would be hard to see dwight walking away from the Hawks and Smoove to go play in new jersey. A few months of playing in his hometown, with his best friend, and the honeymoon period of being the talk of the town would go a long ways toward getting him to sign.

That's my thinking too.

First off...

a few months of playing with Josh, Joe, and Teague...

I know he has been on good teams before, but in his hometown where he would get MUCH MUCH Love... for a team willing to pay him the moon and the stars... and then with a legitimate chance to win it all this year...

Our competition would be Chicago and Miami.

I think we dominate Chicago..

Miami would be the most watched Series in recent History.

ASG would love to be part of that.

It would truly revitalize the city and the pressure to keep that team together would be huge!!!

• Premium Member

Here's why.

They get 2 firsts.

It's a win for them. Regardless of the fact that they are losing their best player.

If Howard is not willing to resign with us at the trade, I would offer Orlando the same deal with no picks.

That's my thinking too.

First off...

I know he has been on good teams before, but in his hometown where he would get MUCH MUCH Love... for a team willing to pay him the moon and the stars... and then with a legitimate chance to win it all this year...

It would truly revitalize the city and the pressure to keep that team together would be huge!!!

BOY do you make that rental sound tasty...... My mouth is watering at the thought of the gamble.....................and I've been on that side of the fence since last season. That's how you create buzz right there.

Howard returns home...

Hawks take a huge gamble...

Potential to reach the finals...

.....very interesting gamble.

Here's why.

They get 2 firsts.

That's my thinking too.

First off...

Can we trade an injured player?

First, to start with article...Aiming lower for KG would end up with shooting at our feet, if we would have to give up one of our core guys... no way!

Here's why.

They get 2 firsts.

That's my thinking too.

First off...

I don't think that there are many other offers as good as our can be... we can throw a combo of Al, Marv, Kirk and draft picks on the table.

Then work hard to get Dwight on board for the future...

Edited by T21

First, to start with article...Aiming lower for KG would end up with shooting at our feet, if we would have to give up one of our core guys... no way!

I don't think that there are many other offers as good as our can be... we can throw a combo of Al, Marv, Kirk and draft picks on the table.

Then work hard to get Dwight on board for the future...

Agree about KG. He was an amazing player but his time is past.

Interesting.

Not sure where I ridiculed you ... but ok. It seems pretty commonly accepted that if we were to have any chance to get Howard it would be via trading Horford and when he went down with the injury that pretty much killed any chance of that happening.

What I found interesting, and perhaps I should have bolded it, was that Horford was destroying his competition at C this year with a nearly +6 PER rating vs his opponent and that was with him having a down year compared to last year.

What I found interesting, and perhaps I should have bolded it, was that Horford was destroying his competition at C this year with a nearly +6 PER rating vs his opponent and that was with him having a down year compared to last year.

Don't mean to be a downer, but look at who Horford played against during his +6 PER run.

Game 1- Johan Petro

Game 2- Javale McGee

Game 3- Mehmet Okur

Game 4- Jordan Hill

Game 5- Joel Anthony

Game 6- Joakim Noah

Game 7- Joel Anthony

Game 8- Byron Mullens/Boris Diaw

Game 9- Joakim Noah

Game 10- Johan Petro

Not exactly stiff competition....

Don't mean to be a downer, but look at who Horford played against during his +6 PER run.

Game 1- Johan Petro

Game 2- Javale McGee

Game 3- Mehmet Okur

Game 4- Jordan Hill

Game 5- Joel Anthony

Game 6- Joakim Noah

Game 7- Joel Anthony

Game 9- Joakim Noah

Game 10- Johan Petro

I dunno those look like a bunch if stiffs to me!

• Premium Member
First, to start with article...Aiming lower for KG would end up with shooting at our feet, if we would have to give up one of our core guys... no way! I don't think that there are many other offers as good as our can be... we can throw a combo of Al, Marv, Kirk and draft picks on the table. Then work hard to get Dwight on board for the future...

The picks are the lynchpin. If D-12 doesn't sign with us, Orlando get no picks. The reason... he's a rental. However, getting Horf and Kirk for a rental is good. Horf > Lopez. They could get Monta... but that doesn't help their frontcourt and they won't have any more money.

• Premium Member

Game 1- Johan Petro

Game 2- Javale McGee

Game 3- Mehmet Okur

Game 4- Jordan Hill

Game 5- Joel Anthony

Game 6- Joakim Noah

Game 7- Joel Anthony

Game 9- Joakim Noah

Game 10- Johan Petro

I think that's akin to the this league. You don't have many dominating Centers. I mean who do you have after Howard and Bynum? Maybe Gasol and Noah? Well, Noah is on there twice.

If I were to pull out a top 5..

Howard, Bynum, Gasol, Noah, and Cousins. There are other PF/Cs but as far as true Centers, this is it. To look at Horf, I think he falls in that listing too.... There are others like Monroe and Hibbert but those guys are not there yet.