• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Examining Joe's Momentum.

Diesel

• Premium Member

If we think about Joe's momentum in March.....I would have to believe that a lot of it is due to his move to Sf.Not many SFs can guard him well.Also, He doesn't blow all his energy chasing around SGs.One other thing, isn't it interesting that when Joe plays Sf, he looks nothing like Marvin when he plays Sf?The play of Marvin is Marvin's play and not team gameplan.

Edited by Diesel

here we go again......................................same crap different day. Hey diesel I will send one of my goons to trip marvin down the stairs so he can re-injure his back. will that make you happy.as for JJ's play he is as usual lookng good against the weaker teams. We look good against lottery teams and even then its hard for us to win.

Edited by Wurider05

If we think about Joe's momentum in March.....I would have to believe that a lot of it is due to his move to Sf.Not many SFs can guard him well.Also, He doesn't blow all his energy chasing around SGs.One other thing, isn't it interesting that when Joe plays Sf, he looks nothing like Marvin when he plays Sf?The play of Marvin is Marvin's play and not team gameplan.

Joe has actual plays run for him. Marvin has no plays run for him (or at the very least it's minimal).

Didnt think this would turn into a Marvin thread reading the title. lol

A Diesel thread ALWAYS has the possiblity of turning into a Marving thread no matter what the title.Posted Image

Well, the reason they look nothing alike at the same position, if because we call plays for Joe and put the ball in his hands alot of the possessions.. Marvin is nothing more than a spot up shooter.But I couldnt be happier with the move to start Joe at SF.. Marv is best coming off the bench.

• Premium Member

Well, the reason they look nothing alike at the same position, if because we call plays for Joe and put the ball in his hands alot of the possessions.. Marvin is nothing more than a spot up shooter.But I couldnt be happier with the move to start Joe at SF.. Marv is best coming off the bench.

The point is that we're not running ISO Joe any more. We have a motion offense. In the standard motion offense, everybody moves or shifts position. In ours, I found it funny that we find more position for Joe at Sf than for Marvin at Sf. Marvin virtually stays in the same position all game.You guys say Joe has plays run for him, in the motion, I don't see that as something that Marvin can't have. However, with him being at the three point line all the time, he's never going to have that.Another thing is that though I dogged HInrich earlier this season, he seems to fair well against other 2s on defense. His contribution in our minime backcourt is stabilizing. When the time does come for us to go to the playoffs, we will have several looks that we can put on a team. The thing that I think we should really consider if the 2 & 3 matchups. At this point, I would be hesitant to put Joe out there to chase a 2 guard around all series long...For example.US vs. Philly... Joe chasing Iguadala or Joe guarding Turner.Us vs. Orlando... Joe chasing Richardson/Redick or Joe guarding Turk.US vs. Indiana... Joe chasing George/Jones or Joe vs. Granger.I think there are certain matchup that we leave him at 2. Miami... Chicago...However, for a lot of these other matchups, it benefits us to move him tot he three and go with either Hinrich or Green at the 2.

Since we are on the subject of Marvin anyway, does seem that a side benefit of the move of Joe to SF is that Marvin has been more agressive coming off the bench. There's only been 3 games or so where Marvin's played, but he does seem to do more. He would be playing against backups from other teams so that may help.I've thought for a long time Joe to SF made sense. Also give flexibility on substituting since we can move him back to gaurd if need be.

Notice that Hinrich occupies the "Marvin corner" now that he starts? There's not some mythical set plays that only exist for a particular position, those things tend to carry over wherever a player is on the court. If Joe is at the 2 then the 3 spreads the floor, if he's at the 3 then the 2 spreads the floor or when we had Jamal the 1 spreads the floor. It's not rocket science, really, once the agenda glasses come off. In fact, look at the inverse: Marvin scores more on the inside and rebounds better coming off the bench because he's not designated as the floor balancer.

• Premium Member

Notice that Hinrich occupies the "Marvin corner" now that he starts? There's not some mythical set plays that only exist for a particular position, those things tend to carry over wherever a player is on the court. If Joe is at the 2 then the 3 spreads the floor, if he's at the 3 then the 2 spreads the floor or when we had Jamal the 1 spreads the floor. It's not rocket science, really, once the agenda glasses come off. In fact, look at the inverse: Marvin scores more on the inside and rebounds better coming off the bench because he's not designated as the floor balancer.

Nope, I see Hinrich as a part Ball handler on the floor. Put the agenda glasses back on. Our offense doesn't work as you have described it. Otherwise, there would be absolutely no fault in Josh taking long threes. Our offense is basically guys move and the ball moves from side to side. IF one person becomes Stagnant, so does our offense. When Joe plays the 2, he doesn't penetrate as much as when he plays the three. He doesn't keep his same course, otherwise, his ppg would not be so different. I mean, how do you explain what he has done so far in March? You would think with less shooters on the floor (Marvin) that Joe would be easier to double. Yet with no Marvin, Joe becomes much more harder to contain. That's because Joe moves from side to side. Which is what Marvin should do instead of becoming fascinated with the girls in the corner.I just realise that since Joe has come back, the offense is more open and the ball moves more. Last night, when Smoove did his driving dunk... that kind of slashing is something that you want to come out of the motion. You want to move players so much that they don't get a chance to settle in and clog up the lane. When you have Joe, Marvin, Teague, and Josh all sitting on the perimeter and we don't have a strong offensive presence in the low post, a team will sit back in the lane and prevent any such drive. When we play with people moving, the lane opens up.

• Premium Member

A Diesel thread ALWAYS has the possiblity of turning will turn into a Marving thread no matter what the title. Posted Image

Fixed. Edited by niremetal

here we go again......................................same crap different day. Hey diesel I will send one of my goons to trip marvin down the stairs so he can re-injure his back. will that make you happy.as for JJ's play he is as usual lookng good against the weaker teams. We look good against lottery teams and even then its hard for us to win.

Boston is still a tough team on the defensive end... He played good against Denver. Yeah, I called Denver crap after we lost to them, but that's the bias coming out. The Clipps are fading now, but they've been a decent team. He did struggle in Feb with the tough schedule, but outside of Feb he has played better this year than last year.I think he's lost a step.... But I also think moving to SF will help some.