• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta continues to show why they have the worst fans

capstone21

You're obvi not getting my point. You're using the same excuse. I hate how people use that as why people don't appreciate having a NBA team compared to none. You can argue all you want and blame it on the owners. That's fine with me. It's so easy to blame.

Anyways, weird that I just saw this in Forbes. Braves are worth less than the Astro and Twins.

No clue why I even posted in this thread. I'm talking to a bunch of Hawks fans, which 70% of them all think a like. People will see around your point, and sound like a broken record. No matter what you say, it's like talking to a brick wall. (Not talking to you, just in general)

Time to sit back and just read the responses and excuses why people don't support this team and tend to bash our good players that we have before they run out of town. Posted Image

Who the hell really WANTS to cheer for Joe Johnson or Josh Smith ? I ride with them because that just happens to be what we have and I've been a fan since Mookie and Mutombo. But looking at things objectively, as someone who might be from Atlanta, but grew up with the dominant Spurs and Lakers, Great teams like the Kings, Great players like T Mac and Vincent Carter, its hard to see greatness and get behind those guys whole heartedly.

You're obvi not getting my point. You're using the same excuse. I hate how people use that as why people don't appreciate having a NBA team compared to none. You can argue all you want and blame it on the owners. That's fine with me. It's so easy to blame.Anyways, weird that I just saw this in Forbes. Braves are worth less than the Astro and Twins.

In any business at the end of the day, the reason it fails or succeeds usually falls on the ownership/manangement. You are blaming the customer for not buying a bad product and I find that funny as hell to be honest.Would you buy a certain car listed as a lemon just because you like cars? Casual fans like sports and the Hawks are viewed as one of the biggest lemons in all of sports. There are better teams to spend on in Atlanta is what I am saying. In the same way you can buy the car NOT LISTED as a lemon, casual fans can go buy into the Falcons and Braves.... Edited by Buzzard

In any business at the end of the day, the reason it fails or succeeds usually falls on the ownership/manangement. You are blaming the customer for not buying a bad product and I find that funny as hell to be honest.Would you buy a certain car listed as a lemon just because you like cars? Casual fans like sports and the Hawks are viewed as one of the biggest lemons in all of sports. There are better teams to spend on in Atlanta is what I am saying. In the same way you can buy the car NOT LISTED as a lemon, casual fans can go buy into the Falcons and Braves....

Or it means I appreciate of what I have, although I wish I could have more. I'm not the one to complain and b*tch about something. But once again, you're arguing one point that I understand. You're acting like I don't understand what you are saying... I said this in my first post. I was ready to hear this.But anyways, I guess I'm going to buy some lemons in Oakland. See ya later! Edited by AHawks89

All I'm saying is we are (Hawks fans) b*tching about how we have shitty fans, but yet, we are the fans; regardless if we have one of the shittiest owners ever. Yeah, that's a HUGE problem, but we can't b*tch at our selves. Only way to make that change is if every fan had that 'f*** it, i'm a loyal fan and I love my Hawks basketball' mentality, regardless of how mad we are at the owners. If everyone had that mentality, a lot of people would be at the games to watch our Hawks play. More players would be wanting to come here due to the fan support; regardless of shitty owners. I'm not sure if I'm making sense because my mind is on many other things.Anyways, if we had new owners, do you really think we would start selling out? Honestly? Some would say yes, some would say no. I'm on the fence on that one. Like I said earlier, I've never seen fans b*tch about the teams players like I have seen Hawks fan do their players. And when fans b*tch at the players, I really don't think that's the owners fault too.

Edited by AHawks89

All I'm saying is we are (Hawks fans) b*tching about how we have shitty fans, but yet, we are the fans; regardless if we have one of the shittiest owners ever. Yeah, that's a HUGE problem, but we can't b*tch at our selves. Only way to make that change is if every fan had that 'f*** it, i'm a loyal fan and I love my Hawks basketball' mentality, regardless of how mad we are at the owners. If everyone had that mentality, a lot of people would be at the games to watch our Hawks play. More players would be wanting to come here due to the fan support; regardless of shitty owners. I'm not sure if I'm making sense because my mind is on many other things.Anyways, if we had new owners, do you really think we would start selling out? Honestly? Some would say yes, some would say no. I'm on the fence on that one. Like I said earlier, I've never seen fans b*tch about the teams players like I have seen Hawks fan do their players. And when fans b*tch at the players, I really don't think that's the owners fault too.

I do not b*tch about our fans. I accept the fact some go to games despite our history and most casual sports fans do not. But even rabid fans complain about losing. In Tennesee their last coach snuck his family out in the middle of the night because of death threats. Now that is some serious complaining. This is just banter when compared to that.... Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

I seriously doubt we would start selling out just because we had new owners. It would open the door to bringing new credibility to the team and the franchise within the Atlanta sports market, much like the Falcons did after they were sold. It is hard to come up with an ownership group that has generated as much negative PR as the ASG's legal troubles and debacle with the Thrashers (plenty of other PR gaffes but those are the standout pair). What has been mixed bag ownership of the Hawks looks worse in light of the total track record and the fact that it is a non-secret that they are just waiting to unload the team.New ownership wouldn't fix the attendance issues in and of itself but would at least wouldn't have the baggage the ASG do which does hurt local interest.

World English Dictionary

fanatic (fəˈnætɪk)

n 1.

a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme orbeyond normal limits

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fanatic?s=t

According to this definition I don't think a fan can truly pull for another team or not at all for their team. The issue is that the Hawks just don't have a legit fan base, because if we did then almost every game will be sold out. You can not call folks who do not pull for a team let alone care about them a fan. A fan is in it through the tough times like us on this site when we won 13 games and our bench was filled with 10 day contract guys (Ira Newble, Corey Benjamin, etc..). Why do the Hawks not have fan base? There are plenty of reason if you ask me. First, too many transplants. Second, true natives to Atlanta grow up in low income areas. Third, the Hawks organization has done nothing to gain and keep fans. Fourth, our top local sports radio is ran by a bunch of yankees who truly doesn't know the heart beat of this city.

Let's hope one of us hits the lottery and buys the team.

Yea Megamillion is up to 500 million now....if I won my first purchase would be the hawks.

I think part of problem is the Hawks were a non-factor for so long, no-one believes they will ever be a factor (except die-hard fans). The Hawks still have a lot to prove to the casual basketball fan but I think they are getting there.

I think part of problem is the Hawks were a non-factor for so long, no-one believes they will ever be a factor (except die-hard fans). The Hawks still have a lot to prove to the casual basketball fan but I think they are getting there.

Not if we keep losing by an average of 20 points whenever we play on national tv

World English Dictionary

fanatic (fəˈnætɪk)

n 1.

a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme orbeyond normal limits

http://dictionary.re...wse/fanatic?s=t

The issue is that the Hawks just don't have a legit fan base, because if we did then almost every game will be sold out. Yea Megamillion is up to 500 million now....if I won my first purchase would be the hawks.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but not even close to 1/2 the teams in the NBA sell out. And only these four had sold out before the season began.

"The Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Knicks reportedly are the only franchises to have sold out season tickets for 2011-12."

By your definition not many cities have a solid fan base.

link to quoted info:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/09/26/oklahoma.city.thunder.become.5th.nba.team.sell.out.season.tickets

Why do teams like the Clippers or hornets have a fan base? Haven't they been worse than the Hawks?

Per our history only the Kings have a worse drought getting to the finals. Give teams some time. Only nine teams have not been to a final since 1990. If those same other eight teams can say 30 years from now ( a fifty year period of playoff futility ) they have still not been to a final, then I would hazzard a guess some would not even have teams much less a rabid fan base.

Let me drop my 2 cents in.1st. The biggest myth that we have is that the people who come to hawks games and cheer for the other team is FROM that area. WRONG. Most folks who cheer for the Bulls aren't from Chicago. People who cheer for the Heat aren't from Miami. Same thing goes for the Lakers, Knicks, Thunder or any other good team. People in Atlanta are the biggest d*ck riders and bandwagoners in America. People here just think its cool to root for any good team that Atlanta goes against. Pistons don&#39;t get many cheers when they come here. Neither does Portland. Trust me, if the Wizards or Bobcats became good they would get lots of bandwagon fans coming to the games as well. Rooting against the hawks id the fun thing to do. Rooting FOR the hawks is not the hip thing to do.</p

Let me drop my 2 cents in.

1st. The biggest myth that we have is that the people who come to hawks games and cheer for the other team is FROM that area. WRONG. Most folks who cheer for the Bulls aren't from Chicago. People who cheer for the Heat aren't from Miami. Same thing goes for the Lakers, Knicks, Thunder or any other good team. People in Atlanta are the biggest d*ck riders and bandwagoners in America. </p

I cannot say where they are from but here is a decent cite that more than half the people in the Metro area are not from the state of Georgia much less Atlanta proper...

"Atlanta, while geographically at the center of the American South, has a culture that is no longer strictly Southern. More than half of Metro Atlanta residents were born outside Georgia[82] including 13% born outside the U.S.[83]"

Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta

I appreciate your enthusiasm but not even close to 1/2 the teams in the NBA sell out. And only these four had sold out before the season began."The Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Knicks reportedly are the only franchises to have sold out season tickets for 2011-12."By your definition not many cities have a solid fan base.link to quoted info:http://www.iamagm.co....season.tickets

Ok, well at least twice as much as they do now...