• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

93-94 season, a look back

thecampster

I was looking at stats for another thread and I took a good look at this thread.Danny Manning, traded for one Dominique Wilkins in the middle of the best season on record for the Hawks ever. In 25 games with the Hawks that year, here are Manning's numbers.15.7 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.3 APG 3.3 TO/G 65% FT% with only 3.2 trips to the line per game.Those are just a little better than Marvin's numbers. How oh how did that happen??? Compare them to Nique's from the same year.24.4 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.3 APG, 2.4 TO/G, 83% FT% with 6.6 trips to the line per game.http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/1994.htmlHere, look back at that team. One of the best in Hawks history as it was built on teamwork on both ends of the floor, not flash but substance and remember what should have been.11 in Points per game, 4th in defensive points per game. Even after Manning's arrival hurt both numbers.

• Like 1

It seemed as if Danny Manning was living off his college days, which I never saw but I know he's regarded as one of the better college players of his time. I was only 11-12 years old at the time but even I knew how awful the Clippers franchise had been historically and simply stopped following the Hawks after they traded the only man who could score point for point with Michael Jordan for someone who couldn't dream of doing that. Perfect time to become a Bulls fan. Thank Goodness for WGN.

I was looking at stats for another thread and I took a good look at this thread.Danny Manning, traded for one Dominique Wilkins in the middle of the best season on record for the Hawks ever. In 25 games with the Hawks that year, here are Manning's numbers.15.7 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.3 APG 3.3 TO/G 65% FT% with only 3.2 trips to the line per game.Those are just a little better than Marvin's numbers. How oh how did that happen??? Compare them to Nique's from the same year.24.4 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.3 APG, 2.4 TO/G, 83% FT% with 6.6 trips to the line per game.http://www.basketbal...s/ATL/1994.htmlHere, look back at that team. One of the best in Hawks history as it was built on teamwork on both ends of the floor, not flash but substance and remember what should have been.11 in Points per game, 4th in defensive points per game. Even after Manning's arrival hurt both numbers.

It is the only time in the history of the NBA that the team with the best conference record traded away their leading scorer mid season.

You know what the interesting thing about that trade is? That was Dominique's last strong season. He had a sharp decline after that season. The Hawks probably traded him a bit too soon, but the time to trade him was coming upon them quickly. Danny Manning came to Atlanta and promptly played the worst basketball of his career, throwing up a 13.8 PER and a 0.066 WS/48. He then went to Phoenix where he posted an 18.1 PER and a 0.109 WS/48 and a PER of 19.8 with a 0.174 WS/48 at the age of 31. Danny Manning is a player whose knees failed him.

Yep, a lot of folks were salty about that trade and still are to this very day. No small wonder why no other team has made such a move since, especially after witnessing the aftermath down here. Move a guy who carried the franchise on his back for over a decade for someone who didn't want to be here in the first place while having the best record in the conference? Really????

• Premium Member

You know what the interesting thing about that trade is? That was Dominique's last strong season. He had a sharp decline after that season. The Hawks probably traded him a bit too soon, but the time to trade him was coming upon them quickly.Danny Manning came to Atlanta and promptly played the worst basketball of his career, throwing up a 13.8 PER and a 0.066 WS/48. He then went to Phoenix where he posted an 18.1 PER and a 0.109 WS/48 and a PER of 19.8 with a 0.174 WS/48 at the age of 31. Danny Manning is a player whose knees failed him.

I would suggest that Dominique suffered because he was moved from an offense that was pretty much created for him. Lenny's motion offense was an offense that fitted Nique's style. Nique was a get the ball and finish kind of guy... The motion that Lenny ran opened up holes on the floor.When you bring Manning into that dynamic, there's trouble. Manning needed to be set up. We were not used to having a post presence. Not like Manning.It was just a bad trade... all around.

I would suggest that Dominique suffered because he was moved from an offense that was pretty much created for him. Lenny's motion offense was an offense that fitted Nique's style. Nique was a get the ball and finish kind of guy... The motion that Lenny ran opened up holes on the floor.When you bring Manning into that dynamic, there's trouble. Manning needed to be set up. We were not used to having a post presence. Not like Manning.It was just a bad trade... all around.

From what I remember about Lenny, he did not like isolation plays. He liked for the offense to play as a team and work for the best shot. I think he always had an issue with Dominique dominating the ball. He was much more comfortable with an unselfish team like he had with Mookie, Smitty, Laettner, and Mutombo.

• Admin

Manning brought a different kind of game and he and Willis made a really nice combo up front. The team played better team ball and we were successful. The thing I hate about the trade was that Manning left that offseason basically trading Nique for nothing

Manning brought a different kind of game and he and Willis made a really nice combo up front. The team played better team ball and we were successful. The thing I hate about the trade was that Manning left that offseason basically trading Nique for nothing

They did end up signing Dikembe Mutombo with the money available from not resigning Danny Manning.