• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

R.I.P MCA

chillzatl

I will dearly miss MCA I have every Beastie album and seen them live at least 5 times. It brings me to great sadness with his passing. True originals. They did it their way. I love their work still to this day. This world is better for having you.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I heard he had cancer a year or so ago, but I didn't realize it was life-threatening. I guess I should have figured it was bad after they cancelled the tour for their last studio album because of his illness.

Here's a great article with the thoughts of Reverend Run and DMC - the MCs of the other pioneering hip hop trio of the 80's - on Adam both as a person and as an artist:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1684546/adam-yauch-mca-beastie-boys-run-dmc.jhtml

Reverend Run

Developing a Bond: "When I first met [the Beastie Boys], they came to the [Def Jam] office and they were really good rappers, but more than that, they were funny. They were not only friendly, but they were just so funny, it was amazing. Their rhymes were funny and they were funny, so out of everything I can think of, everything with them was fun and humorous, and that was what attracted me to them. One time, on tour, I actually abandoned my bus because I was so intrigued and was so friendly with them that I went and hung on their bus for a night, so that was really cool. I'd never tried anything like that before, so it was kinda crazy, but I wanted to be with them, so I was like, 'Y'all got an extra bunk?' I left my bus and I went and hung on their bus. It was the funnest thing in the word, if 'funnest' is a word."

Their Effect on Hip-Hop: "I think they were blowing people's minds. I was out on tour right before I met them, and when they came along, it was just amazing. I ended up actually writing songs with them, like 'Paul Revere.' And then they took one of our songs 'Slow and Low' — we left a tape in the studio and they did it over — so I was really kinda involved with them in a little bit of production, along with Rick Rubin. They actually picked up Dr. Dre as a DJ for a while, which was really cool. So they had Dre DJing, and in my mind, they were just so dope on the mic — especially Adam Yauch. He had a really incredible style of rhyme, and I was like, 'This dude is amazing.' Just like everybody else that ended up falling in love with them, that's what was happening to me — I was like, 'Wow, these white kids could rap.' And Adam Yauch has this special type of rasp in his voice that made him incredible to me, so he stood out as a real vintage type of incredible MC. It was intriguing to see white guys rapping like that, being so cool, plus sticking to their roots, so they were true to themselves."

• Like 1