Everybody blames Joe, but look at this

SalvorMallow

Poor defense was why the got embarrassed last night.what's the point of showing the shot chart of one player , when everyone has been terrible at shooting in the playoffs.JJ - 36.8 fg %Josh - 38.9%Kirk - 38.1%Marvin - 21.7 %Tmac - 40%Pargo - 28.6 %Ivan - 31.3%Alll have been terrible.The point is , they sucked as a team in these 4 games. Not one person has sucked enough to get all the blame.

• Premium Member

Poor defense was why the got embarrassed last night.what's the point of showing the shot chart of one player , when everyone has been terrible at shooting in the playoffs.JJ - 36.8 fg %Josh - 38.9%Kirk - 38.1%Marvin - 21.7 %Tmac - 40%Pargo - 28.6 %Ivan - 31.3%Alll have been terrible.The point is , they sucked as a team in these 4 games. Not one person has sucked enough to get all the blame.

Actually, listing it is quite relevant. Unlike those other guys, Josh is supposed to be a top option on offense. Consistently taking those bad shots, turning the ball over and taking the point guard out of the offense absolutely kills the Hawks against the better teams which is that's been happening all year. Yes, the team didn't play well, but these factors play a big part in that.

We don't have a PG for one.Two, Josh is stupid on offense. He is at best a #3 option on a winning team and that's coming off the bench so he doesn't lose a game for you like he does in Atlanta.Three, Joe is not a #1 option and never will be one.

• Premium Member

I don't get it. That chart only shows 3 possible bad shots. Plus if the 3 possible bad shots were wide open then I doubt any would be considered bad shots.

• Moderators

I don't get it. That chart only shows 3 possible bad shots. Plus if the 3 possible bad shots were wide open then I doubt any would be considered bad shots.

I see 6 bad shots for sure and 2 that are context dependent as to whether they were good shots or not. The whole team has been abysmal in this series, but Josh playing closer to the basket has actually been quite effective. You can look at his overall numbers and see he hasn't focused on working inside, though.

I see 6 bad shots for sure and 2 that are context dependent as to whether they were good shots or not. The whole team has been abysmal in this series, but Josh playing closer to the basket has actually been quite effective. You can look at his overall numbers and see he hasn't focused on working inside, though.

Josh doesn't play close to the basket for a reason. Teams especially the good ones know how to bang and force Josh out of the paint.

• Moderators

Josh doesn't play close to the basket for a reason. Teams especially the good ones know how to bang and force Josh out of the paint.

They know how to bang and get him to voluntarily move out for easy, unopposed jumpers. That isn't the same thing as being unable to operate effectively closer to the basket.

They know how to bang and get him to voluntarily move out for easy, unopposed jumpers. That isn't the same thing as being unable to operate effectively closer to the basket.

But if you don't have the mentality for it, why does it matter. The same could be said for Marvin's overall game.

• Moderators

But if you don't have the mentality for it, why does it matter. The same could be said for Marvin's overall game.

I think Josh would have the right mentality in the right environment. For example, if he was playing in Boston I fully expect he would not be taking those jumpers. Doc would get him to understand (benching him if necessary) and guys like PP, KG, etc. would jump down his throat and let him know he can be more if he plays to his strengths. Marvin's mentality strikes me as one that is not redeemable; he has shown me enough that I think he would have been a bust anywhere and will never be more than a mediocre role player. Josh strikes me as someone who can better himself offensively in the right environment. Josh wants to win and I think that would carry him in the right direction in a different environment.
  • Like 1

Josh mentally will be the same everywhere. Why? Because he just doesn't know better. It's kind of like McGee, he just doesn't know better. Even when he was benched last year, it made no difference at all in terms of mentality.Marvin like Hinrich is team focus, this type of team is a really bad fit. Marvin still is anti-aggressive to the max. It's like Mike Miller to be honest when I watch Williams except Marvin is better.I see them to be opposites from what you see. Marvin could be better with stucture while Josh will be less impactful or relagated to the bench where he will actually seem more impactful. Marvin is still just a solid player to me regardless of how bad he is with the Hawks.

Josh mentally will be the same everywhere. Why? Because he just doesn't know better. It's kind of like McGee, he just doesn't know better. Even when he was benched last year, it made no difference at all in terms of mentality.

mcgee was traded and is playing about 5000% better with his new team, new coach, new mindset, etc..

I watched the Lakers-Den series. He looks like the usual JaVale to me. Just whenever he has a dumb play. He goes to the bench for a long long time.

• Premium Member

?One could argue ANY shot Josh takes outside the paint is a bad shot. It's like Josh had 13 turnovers last night (6 turns + 7 bad shots)And those numbers mean nothing to me. In the paint Josh shoots way over .500 so being in the perimeter only hurts our offense. Not to mention the offensive boards he would grab for us.Not saying he is the only reason we are almost done, BUT I just can't wait for draft night when he'll most likely be gone.BIRD.BRAIN.
  • Like 2

Posted Image

Oh yeah...

Posted Image
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Notice the score, we were still in the game at that point. Smoove being in there disrupted our whole flow and we just collapsed after that point.

That's what I mean when I say that those moments of bad shots tend to discourage the players. Look at Joe running the crossing route on the bottom. I guess after this kind of play, Joe and Teague says.. WTF For.