• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cunningham Blog on Hawks' Salary Cap

AHF

• Moderators

coachx posted a link to this but I think it deserves its own thread.

Please click on the link and read the article in its entirety but here is a key excerpt for discussion:

The Hawks have approximately $61 million in guarantees committed to six players. The salary cap this season is about $58 million and the luxury tax threshold is about $70 million. Each of those figures could increase next season (they can’t decrease) but unless there’s a massive increase in BRI the Hawks won’t have any cap space and won’t gain much additional wiggle room under the tax threshold.

I don’t have to tell you the Hawks are unlikely to spend above the tax line again next season. They tried to avoid doing so this year but the run of injuries forced their hand. The Hawks sold a draft pick to help offset the tax bill. Their payroll is at least 75 percent of their revenues and they are skeptical the new CBA will provide much significant relief through revenue sharing.

Those circumstances don’t suggest a franchise looking to take another luxury-tax hit. Assuming the tax threshold remains at about the same level, that leaves the Hawks roughly $9 million to sign a minimum of seven players to get to 13 on the roster. The player they select with the No. 23 overall draft pick (assuming they keep it) will eat up another $1.2 million or so (assuming the prospect signs for 120 percent above scale, which is standard). That would leave the Hawks $7.8 million under the tax line to sign at least six players.

The mid-level exception for non-taxpayers will be $5 million again next season. If the Hawks use all of that on one player, they’d be left with about $2.8 million under the tax line to add at least six additional players. That’s obviously not feasible even before you consider that a player who signs for the full mid-level commands a multi-year contract, adding future payroll just when the Hawks have a chance to clear some cap space after next season.

So in regards to free agency the Hawks are looking at trying to again build a roster with minimum-salaried veterans and/or young players and probably needing a couple of those players to accept non-guaranteed deals.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/05/16/atlanta-hawks-roster-report-2/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

coachx posted a link to this but I think it deserves its own thread.

Please click on the link and read the article in its entirety but here is a key excerpt for discussion:

http://blogs.ajc.com...fid=blogs_hawks

This is why smart teams build through the draft and free agency. Two 1st round picks is less than one MLE unless one or more of the picks is near or in the lottery group. Edited by Buzzard

I noticed that a couple of days ago. It's clear that both Marvin will go due to the lack of talent at his position and his contract is finally reasonable and Smith will likely go to depending on his trade value.That should give us around 12 million in true cap space after the lotto draft pick cap hold.Barnes, MKG, Marshall, Drummond, Beal, Lamb should be one of our guys.We see have money for two quality players in FA. Mayo and a backup level center like Daly or Camby.We could try to land Nash as well but that's highly unlikely since Nash has to want to play in Atlanta.

I noticed that a couple of days ago. It's clear that both Marvin will go due to the lack of talent at his position and his contract is finally reasonable and Smith will likely go to depending on his trade value.

That should give us around 12 million in true cap space after the lotto draft pick cap hold.

Barnes, MKG, Marshall, Drummond, Beal, Lamb should be one of our guys.

We see have money for two quality players in FA. Mayo and a backup level center like Daly or Camby.

We could try to land Nash as well but that's highly unlikely since Nash has to want to play in Atlanta.

So you're thinking that we're going to trade Marvin and Smith and go from $61 million in salary to around $44 million, plus $2 million for the rookie, putting us at roughly $46 million? That would also leave us 4 veterans and 1 rookie under contract and needing to sign at least 8 players. I'd love to see a realistic plan for how you think we'll get that much cap space by trading Marvin ($8.3 million) and Smith ($13.2 million plus trade kicker). I know you think we'd be able to trade Marvin for a 1st round pick and not take any salary back but that's not happening as Marvin is nowhere near that valuable around the league.

So you're thinking that we're going to trade Marvin and Smith and go from $61 million in salary to around $44 million, plus $2 million for the rookie, putting us at roughly $46 million? That would also leave us 4 veterans and 1 rookie under contract and needing to sign at least 8 players. I'd love to see a realistic plan for how you think we'll get that much cap space by trading Marvin ($8.3 million) and Smith ($13.2 million plus trade kicker). I know you think we'd be able to trade Marvin for a 1st round pick and not take any salary back but that's not happening as Marvin is nowhere near that valuable around the league.

No. We can spend up to 70 million for signing players. We can't sign anyone more more than the MLE once you get past the 58 million cap. We would have to spend 48 million for the cap floor. So that give us from 12 to 10 million to spend without using the MLE or LLE.

Marvin stats, PER, usage rate, and tape show that he is a solid player in a really bad fit. The fact that he plays a position that is weak after the top 15 means Marvin has a lot of value as a starting SF. His value to a half of the league is like Hinrich at Washington for us. Just because we don't value him doesn't mean another GM doesn't. A team like Cleveland would trade us Sessions for him who they traded for a 1st, they would still trade for him. He is in need position. SF is the biggest need position in the NBA today. Centers are being commonplace. SG while not great has a lot of depth. SF is a weak position outside of the top guys.

• Moderators

No. We can spend up to 70 million for signing players. We can't sign anyone more more than the MLE once you get past the 58 million cap. We would have to spend 48 million for the cap floor. So that give us from 12 to 10 million to spend without using the MLE or LLE.

He wants to know how you trade Marvin and Smith and are able to clear cap space and acquire a pick. Most trades end up taking back salary. When LA wanted to unload Lamar Odom last season, they got cap space and a second round pick. Today, there are only a small number of teams who could trade for Marvin and help us clear significant cap space in the process. What are some hypothetical trades that would accomplish this for Marvin and Josh? Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

You said "true cap space" so you're talking about being 12 million under the 58 million dollar salary cap or 46 million and you said that was after the rookie cap hold, so 44 million. If you're talking about 58 million being 12 million under the luxury tax limit then that's not 12 million true cap space as you are limited in what you can sign players for but we'd only be getting min level vet players there.

Basically we are screwed.

If no one is traded which isn't happening, yes but Marvin and Josh will be gone so no.

Marvin stats, PER, usage rate, and tape show that he is a solid player in a really bad fit. The fact that he plays a position that is weak after the top 15 means Marvin has a lot of value as a starting SF. His value to a half of the league is like Hinrich at Washington for us. Just because we don't value him doesn't mean another GM doesn't. A team like Cleveland would trade us Sessions for him who they traded for a 1st, they would still trade for him. He is in need position. SF is the biggest need position in the NBA today. Centers are being commonplace. SG while not great has a lot of depth. SF is a weak position outside of the top guys.

And tape? :ahf:

Marvin's been in the NBA for 7 years and he is what he is and will never be much more or much less, regardless of the system because he doesn't have the drive to be more than that.

• Like 1

He wants to know how you trade Marvin and Smith and are able to clear cap space and acquire a pick. Most trades end up taking back salary. When LA wanted to unload Lamar Odom last season, they got cap space and a second round pick.

Most lotto teams have a lot of space. They will be in a buyer market this off-season. Since most players won't sign with them, buying contracts is an serious opinion now that we have a cap floor at 48 million.

• Moderators

Most lotto teams have a lot of space. They will be in a buyer market this off-season. Since most players won't sign with them, buying contracts is an serious opinion now that we have a cap floor at 48 million.

Which teams do you see as a match?

And tape? Posted Image

Marvin's been in the NBA for 7 years and he is what he is and will never be much more or much less, regardless of the system because he doesn't have the drive to be more than that.

Posted Image , Dolfan, are you serious or has Diesel hacked you?

Posted Image , Dolfan, are you serious or has Diesel hacked you?

I am serious and I've been one of the biggest Marvin supporters since he's been a Hawk... despite the fact that I wanted Deron over him in the draft. I'm just not going to defend a player who doesn't have what it takes mentally to be more than what he is.

Which teams do you see as a match?

For Josh,WashingtonSac-TownCharlotteNew OrleansTorontoDetroithell all of them.For Marvin,Sac-TownClearly ClevelandAfter that, you probably have to take salary as well. Josh has a lot of value especially in this draft where most of these players probably will never be as good as Smith is now.

• Premium Member

I would be shocked if we could trade Marvin without taking back salary.We are in the same position we've been in for years now: our cap is eaten up by a handful of players and the owners refuse to pay the luxury tax which means our bench is nothing but vet. min. contracts. We have nothing off the bench except for Zaza going into next season. I think the guys we really saw playing well off the bench like Pargo and Willie will find other teams to sign for.I said it in another thread but I truly wish we could just blow up our roster keeping Horford and Teague and starting over from that. That means trading Joe if we can find someone willing to take that salary.

I am serious and I've been one of the biggest Marvin supporters since he's been a Hawk... despite the fact that I wanted Deron over him in the draft. I'm just not going to defend a player who doesn't have what it takes mentally to be more than what he is.

Naw, Marvin can play. His issues like being anti-aggressive isn't as big of an issue in a real offense, not Atlanta's bull shit that no one who half court minded can succeed in. Shane Battier would look underwhelming in our system. Our system reward and personnel rewards individual skill and talent over fundamentals, decision making, and smart Basketball. He is really a solid player, will never be that for Atlanta but for most teams, he would be an effective starter. T. Prince level, not as complete of a player. Glue guy role.Marvin game is decent. He does more good than bad in terms of evaluations. Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

There is probably no chance that we're trading Marvin and getting cap space for it. He's just not that valuable. You're putting him in the same league as a guy like Lamar Odom who was coming off of winning the 6th man of the year and even then it took a team with a trade exception and no fear of the luxury tax to trade for him. Marvin is an extraordinarily average player and nobody is going to give up 8 million of their cap space for him. Anyone have a list of the teams who are under the salary cap next year and the amount they're under?

• Premium Member

Naw, Marvin can play. His issues like being anti-aggressive isn't as big of an issue in a real offense, not Atlanta's bull shit that no one who half court minded can succeed in. Shane Battier would look underwhelming in our system. Our system reward and personnel rewards individual skill and talent over fundamentals, decision making, and smart Basketball. He is really a solid player, will never be that for Atlanta but for most teams, he would be an effective starter. T. Prince level, not as complete of a player. Glue guy role.Marvin game is decent. He does more good than bad in terms of evaluations.

It's not the offense. It's Marvin. Marvin gives nothing. His non-aggressiveness is a trait that kills his ability to impact the game. PERIOD. We could run play after play.. as long as Marvin's first mind is to defer, he's useless.
  • Like 2