• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RAPTORS may trade #8 and....

y2kenta

THEY ARE WILLING TOI TAKE ON A CONTRACT with $12+ million in cap space.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221320/Raptors_Will_Consider_Trading_Draft_Pick

They are seeking a solid PROVEN player. Sounds like we should try to push our 6-time All-star, Joe Johnson to TOR for the #8 + filler to make it work. TOR could absorb most of his contract. And by trading their #8 pick, they could probably take back up to $15-16 Million in salary.

Joe is due about $19.7M next season. So my thinking is that TOR could get an All-star SG/SF (Joe) to go alongside Derozan and Bargnani. They would actually gain a tad bit of relevance in the league just by pulling the trigger on a big deal. Be it bad or not, they would have a veteran star, who we don't need as much as we need to get rid of his contract.

This is a pipe dreaming long shot. But it would give us a lottery pick and with Kirk coming off the books, we could have a s#!t load of money for free agent SG scorers like Eric Gordon, Mayo, or Nick Young. AND still maybe get a big like Kaman, Asik (if we offer more CHI can), or Brook (who may walk, while Nets push for Dwight).

We'd then have:

PG - Teague, Pargo (resigned), cheap FA

SG - *Nick Young, #8-(Austin Rivers or Jeremy Lamb)

SF - Smoove, Marvin, T-Mac or Willie G.???

PF - Horford, Ivan (really hope resigns)

C - *Kaman, Zaza, #23-(Fab Melo)

If we wanted to afterwards, we could free up even more cap space by moving Josh to Golden State for their #7 pick + fillers. This leaves us the option of keeping both the #7 and #8 pick, or trading up for a top 3 pick.

• Premium Member

I just read an article about the Rapts and why they would move their 8th pick. It's very simple. They are tired of being in the lottery every year and coming up with B.S. and players that need years of development. They want to be a team that is going somewhere. Plus, they can't draw Free Agents at all.

We can trade Joe knowing that Josh is still going to have to be dealt. And then we will have the cap relief that many on this board has wanted since Joe signed....

But...

We won't be able to attract Free Agents either.

So guess what, we will have effectively traded places with Toronto.

I have seen us fumble so many draft picks...

Chillz, Shelden, Diaw, Acie, Marvin.

In the years that we had the most success:

Horford.

Smoove.

I really felt that BK picked Smoove because he was from Atlanta and he was trying to create a hometown impact.

Sund is not much better than BK in drafting.

Look at his Seattle track record. Just a thought.

• Premium Member

Getting out of Joe's contract imo is worth it. I just don't think the A$G will approve trading the team's best player. They are still trying to sell the team and they want to have a winning team on the floor.

I would trade them Smoove for Ed Davis and their #8 pick.

THEY ARE WILLING TOI TAKE ON A CONTRACT with $12+ million in cap space.

http://basketball.re...ding_Draft_Pick

They are seeking a solid PROVEN player. Sounds like we should try to push our 6-time All-star, Joe Johnson to TOR for the #8 + filler to make it work. TOR could absorb most of his contract. And by trading their #8 pick, they could probably take back up to $15-16 Million in salary.

Joe is due about $19.7M next season. So my thinking is that TOR could get an All-star SG/SF (Joe) to go alongside Derozan and Bargnani. They would actually gain a tad bit of relevance in the league just by pulling the trigger on a big deal. Be it bad or not, they would have a veteran star, who we don't need as much as we need to get rid of his contract.

This is a pipe dreaming long shot. But it would give us a lottery pick and with Kirk coming off the books, we could have a s#!t load of money for free agent SG scorers like Eric Gordon, Mayo, or Nick Young. AND still maybe get a big like Kaman, Asik (if we offer more CHI can), or Brook (who may walk, while Nets push for Dwight).

We'd then have:

PG - Teague, Pargo (resigned), cheap FA

SG - *Nick Young, #8-(Austin Rivers or Jeremy Lamb)

SF - Smoove, Marvin, T-Mac or Willie G.???

PF - Horford, Ivan (really hope resigns)

C - *Kaman, Zaza, #23-(Fab Melo)

I would trade Joe Johnson to Toronto WITHOUT the #8 coming back. I would be psyched if that happened. I would not, however, use any of our money on Nick Young or Chris Kaman. After Toronto rejects a Joe for #8/Calderon/James Johnson, I would offer Joe for #8/Calderon/Kleiza. I would consider adding Teague if they would keep Kleiza and add James Johnson. IF we could somehow move Marvin, we might be a big player in the 2013 free agency. At #8, we take whoever is left between: Drummond, Beal, MKG, and Lamb. I am intrigued by Ross.

Getting out of Joe's contract imo is worth it. I just don't think the A$G will approve trading the team's best player. They are still trying to sell the team and they want to have a winning team on the floor.

You don't think the trade will make our team note attractive to prospective buyers ? We have youth with a few veterans and the abilty to still squeeze into the playoffs.