• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Hawks amnesty Joe? Can't afford to miss out on this opportunity

ATLscrubLove

This is a once and a lifetime opportunity to wipe Joe's massive contract off the books for the season, I say jump on it. He is a very good player but he has obviously been declining every season. His numbers just weren't there this past season, and he is a terrible leader. Now if we do in fact amnesty Joe the Hawks will receive around $7-12 Million extra in cap room this season. Allowing us to actually sign a decent bench. This is the opportunity the Hawks need to rebuild. They can still trade Smoove, because as we all know he wants out and the whole "D12 to Atlanta" rumor will never happen. Hawks can go out and trade Smoove and Marvin on draft night to trade up and also get some good role players in return.

By doing this the Hawks can rebuild and still compete at the same time. They will still have Horford and Teague to build around and some key pieces and draft picks accumulated from trades. Also, they will have around $16-21 Mill in cap to go out and obtain extras. If the Hawks want to be contenders this will be their only opportunity to so... At least until Joe's contract is up.

*For those of you that do not know about the amnesty, here is a link.

http://www.hoopinionblog.com/2011/11/amnesty-options-for-atlanta-hawks.html

??? O_o???It's funny how you say it so calm. Amnesty Joe Johnson and trade Josh Smith for "Bench and Role players." lmbo!As much as I want to Amnesty Joe, I don't want to do it for a bench or role player. That might be our only hope though...smhIt's going to be hard to use the amnesty on Joe and still get a better player than him because of the limit cap money we might (10mil - 12mil) still have.

If it's one thing the summer dynasty draft has taught me is there is a lack of quality depth at shooting guard in the league right now. No sense in using the amnesty on Joe this year and getting bench players to fill that void.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Joe isn't worth the time or money. I'm not saying do it for just for role players but also at least one good starter to take his place. I do see your point on waiting to do so but we need this cancer known as Joe off this team.

• Admin

It makes absolute no sense to amesty Joe. He is not a superstar no but he is an all star quality player. He is our most consistent player who contributes night in and night out.We are still on the hook for his salary and we are not going to spend it on anyone elseHe is the first real free agent that came here since Deke so its not like other FA's are clamoring to be here

• Premium Member

Joe contributes every night? Did you watch any games this past season? He played like a scrub only getting 8-10 points in a lot of games

Whose troll account is this? Joe was an All Star this year and played well except when he was hurt. You don't amnesty him now. You do it in two or three years when he's clearly not the same player.
  • Like 1

Let's play a game. Name all of the shooting guards in the eastern conference to play in the all-star game for the last 6 years. I don't see how using the amnesty on him makes sense. Who is it that you would rather have starting at the 2? Dwyane Wade and then who?

Edited by Mutombolievable

• Premium Member

Whose troll account is this? Joe was an All Star this year and played well except when he was hurt. You don't amnesty him now. You do it in two or three years when he's clearly not the same player.

I actually looked it up. Joe played in 60 regular season games and he scored 10 points or less seven times in sixty games. Three of those seven games he scored 10.So this troll saying he scored "10 points or less in a lot of games" is true for a staggering 4.2 percentage of games.

I was previously a big believer in the amnesty, but here is the logic behind it.If we do it early, the franchise will have to pay a LOT less when he is not on the roster. If we wait too long, we will be absolutely screwed. It all depends on if we can put together a competitive squad now without Joe.I'm undecided on whether it is a good option or not, but do not think it is near as ludicrous as most on here do.

• Moderators

I was previously a big believer in the amnesty, but here is the logic behind it.If we do it early, the franchise will have to pay a LOT less when he is not on the roster. If we wait too long, we will be absolutely screwed. It all depends on if we can put together a competitive squad now without Joe.I'm undecided on whether it is a good option or not, but do not think it is near as ludicrous as most on here do.

How much do you think one of the teams under the cap is going to bid for Joe? That is probably the best starting place for any discussion.

This actually makes sense. Joe averaged 18 ppg. He gets paid way too much to average 18 points. Right now we are just making it to the playoffs and getting to no farther than the second round. I would rather have one or 2 bad years and get better and go to the eastern conference finals or farther.

Let's also remember that the only reason Joe is a consistent Allstar SG is because there aren't really any other great gaurds in the east. Also, everyone outside of ATL is going to vote for Joe because he is supposed to be the leader of the team, they just don't know how bad he really is. But yes I just read up on the amnesty thing more so it will definitely be better if we wait at least until next season. I didn't realize the amnesty will extend past this season.