• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Don't expect Smoove to be moved tonight

Mutombolievable

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46890/hawks-resisting-interest-in-smith-for-now

Teams have been calling the Atlanta Hawks all week to register trade interest in swingman Josh Smith, according to sources close to the situation.And one of those teams, sources said, is the Orlando Magic, who know that Smith ranks as one of Dwight Howard's closest friends.But new Hawks general manager Danny Ferry apparently isn't ready to part with Smith right away.Boston, Houston and the Los Angeles Lakers -- with Pau Gasol as the prime piece being offered in L.A.'s case -- have joined Orlando this week in making their interest in Smith known.Yet as Ferry settles into the job, sources say he wants to take stock of things before deciding if he's prepared to go into next season without Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract at $13.2 million and has let it be known for some time that he'd welcome a trade.

Perhaps as part of my emotional attachment to Josh, I hate the fact that the vultures are circling - I've seen a lot of garbage scenarios thrown out there.Honestly, I'd rather let him walk then hand him to a team like the Lakers, or even the Celts, who seem to have a sense of entitlement in deals (and the brainwashing ability to pull them off).Again, I'm prolly just being bitter about the whole inevitable Josh departure.

• Premium Member

Josh is coming into his own right now, and I agree that I'm so so so hesitant to let him get away unless/until the Feb deadline comes and we haven't been able to extend him. Just my opine.

• Like 1

then that the biggest problem what if during the Feb deadline and we are fighting for HCA, would be gamble to keep him even know that he is going to leave and we wont get nothing for him. That is the biggest concerns.But then again, we got a real GM now, so lets see how he plays this.

• Moderators

then that the biggest problem what if during the Feb deadline and we are fighting for HCA, would be gamble to keep him even know that he is going to leave and we wont get nothing for him. That is the biggest concerns.But then again, we got a real GM now, so lets see how he plays this.

The other item that comes to my mind is that there will be significant room under the cap for a chunk of teams early this summer. Once FA goes active that list will dwindle down significantly. If we deal Josh, there are advantages to doing it to a team under the cap where we can take back less salary. There will be many fewer teams with the ability to take a lot of salary on in February to the extent that this is something important to Ferry.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm sorry but I'm smiling. lol

If we trade him I'm hoping we bleed a team dry. Hold on Danny Boy!

Tell Orlando, we have the trading parts they need. If we lose Josh we want be hurt as bad as they will if they lose Dwight. Bleed them Danny!Posted Image

That is a VERY dangerous game for the Hawks to play because the offers likely won't get better from here on and once the season starts, the Hawks leverage will start to slip.

• Moderators

That is a VERY dangerous game for the Hawks to play because the offers likely won't get better from here on and once the season starts, the Hawks leverage will start to slip.

Especially if Smoove has a below-average season up to the trade deadline... Players are only as good as their last game... Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

There will be many fewer teams with the ability to take a lot of salary on in February to the extent that this is something important to Ferry.

Yes and here is something also. If Ferry can get us down low enough cap wise a MLE will not crush us with luxury taxes. It is like what we get for Josh plus a added bonus of being able to use a MLE for the first time in decades.

• Moderators

Every year there are rumors about Josh being traded. Leverage haven't slipped yet.

Leverage doesn't slip when a guy is under contract for future years. Leverage slips quickly when a guy is in his last year.