• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Haha Crooklyn Nets steal JJ from Hawks

Admin

• Premium Member

So you're saying it's good for us because we failed Joe. The sad thing is that we could have traded Marvin for Harris earlier and had financial freedom next year. If we had traded Harris for Marvin and done nothing else: Harris, Jenkins, Joe, Smoove, and Horf = Strong. However, we got our scrubbs and now we will have to play with them. We resemble Washington more than we resemble Miami right now.

We did fail joe. We failed him with that contract and we failed him with the team we drafted around him. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that I was appalled when we offered Joe the contract. I wasn't. At best, I was concerned. On the flip side of that however, I knew that we couldn't risk losing him. Personally, I thought there was no way we were going to lose him and a decent extension on his deal would have gotten it done. But that is neither here nor there now. I've been crying about Devin Harris for years...and it does piss me off more than a little that now we're going after him. Now that we've moved on with breaking up the core... NJ got a very good player. We get to move on with our lives and rebuild. I'm happy about that. The chance to make a splash in free agency excites me too, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
  • Like 1

Soon they'll compare him with ARod with their ring to salary ratio.

Hey wait a minute now!! sigh :kickcan: Aren't there penalties for being over the luxury tax that get bigger and bigger for every year that you're over consecutively?

Hey wait a minute now!! sigh Posted Image

Aren't there penalties for being over the luxury tax that get bigger and bigger for every year that you're over consecutively?

Yea, but Prokorov can just sell off Kazahkstan to cover any debt. Forbes estimated that he made 40 million yesterday alone and it's not as if he's not used to losing a ton of money on the Nets......

In their defense they got one of the top shooting guards, they didn't give up Brooks or their draft pick and they are still very much in the hunt for Williams and Howard.

I don't know if he's even one of the top shooting guards in a vacuum, but I know for a fact he isn't when you consider how much he makes.

• Premium Member

Joe + Deron = best backcourt in the NBA by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. And I mean a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. Even if they don't get Dwight they still have a solid frontcourt in Wallace/Humph/Lopez. Defenses won't be able to double team Joe like they did here. Deron will be able to find him and Joe can pick his spots. That team should be fun to watch.

Joe + Deron = best backcourt in the NBA by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. And I mean a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. Even if they don't get Dwight they still have a solid frontcourt in Wallace/Humph/Lopez. Defenses won't be able to double team Joe like they did here. Deron will be able to find him and Joe can pick his spots. That team should be fun to watch.

I agree, trying to discount Joe's skill because of his contract is silly.

Much respect to them they will be my 2nd favorite team this year with or without Dwight. Really sound move to get a 6x all-star for no talent. If JJ makes 3 or 4 more all-star games and wins a title it will be hard to leave him out of the Hall of Fame and people are really happy about giving him away.

Edited by MrMeltdown

Let's play Rebuild the Hawks Part.....how many is this now?Deal had to be done as this team was doomed as structured for years to come. Does that mean we will be able to parlay that cap space into anything of substance? History says no, but at least we have a chance.Probably a lot more pain headed this way, but hey, we are Hawks fans. It's what we do.

Edited by jhay610

Yea, but Prokorov can just sell off Kazahkstan to cover any debt. Forbes estimated that he made 40 million yesterday alone and it's not as if he's not used to losing a ton of money on the Nets......

Are the only penalties fine based? I seem to remember there being more. If it's only fines then he's going to be able to spend as much as he wants as you're right he's clearly got the scratch.

Are the only penalties fine based? I seem to remember there being more. If it's only fines then he's going to be able to spend as much as he wants as you're right he's clearly got the scratch.

Increased tax rates but the real kicker is loss of exceptions like the MLE and being limited in trades (can only take less salary back) so you can go deep into tax with escalating contracts of your current players but you are hindered in your ability to continue spending by adding more players.

Increased tax rates but the real kicker is loss of exceptions like the MLE and being limited in trades (can only take less salary back) so you can go deep into tax with escalating contracts of your current players but you are hindered in your ability to continue spending by adding more players.

Ah yes that's what it was, thank you for clarifying. That will definitely proclude them from getting too ridiculous, especially if they trade away all these future 1sts since they'll hurt their farm system.

We did fail joe. We failed him with that contract and we failed him with the team we drafted around him. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that I was appalled when we offered Joe the contract. I wasn't. At best, I was concerned. On the flip side of that however, I knew that we couldn't risk losing him. Personally, I thought there was no way we were going to lose him and a decent extension on his deal would have gotten it done.

But that is neither here nor there now. I've been crying about Devin Harris for years...and it does piss me off more than a little that now we're going after him. Now that we've moved on with breaking up the core...

NJ got a very good player. We get to move on with our lives and rebuild. I'm happy about that. The chance to make a splash in free agency excites me too, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Wretch I still don't understand how we failed joe with the contract. He failed us with it. He was the one that stated he wouldn't come back to Atlanta without it. He wanted nothing less than the contract he was offered. Now if you are going to put the team in a bind by making such financial demands, expect a bullseye on your back.

No one on this board is denying Joe wasn't a heck of a player but with the contract he demanded, our team demanded more and he couldn't deliver. While I still put most of the fault on LD and Woody for not utilizing him in a scheme that could get the most out his skill set, his level of play and leadership just never lived up to the billing.

It wasn't just Atlanta fans that noticed Joe's bad value but the rest of the basketball world knew we were trapped in basketball purgatory with that contract that will only get worst as the years pass by. If Joe had really wanted to make a difference for the team so we could sign other quality FAs to get us closer to championship level, he should have re-negotiated his contract or had Sund put a clause in it to where a pay cut is allowed as long as a topo or very solid FAs are being acquired so the GM will have cap space to work with.

Did he do that? Nope. Didn't even suggest it once but would be the first one crying to the media about how he needs help. Joe was never proactive in helping the Hawks. He was glad he made out with all that money to kit up his vehicle. That alone let me even question if he had championship on his mind. Everybody and the grand dad knew his contract was preventing the GM from helping you but yet you turn a blind eye to it.....knowing how frugal our owners were?

I'm sorry Wretch but we didn't fail JJ. he failed us

You are picking one game to define Joe?...smh

I'm picking one of his most recent games that I remember. There are plenty of pathetic playoff games to pick from in Joe's Atlanta tenure. Anyone who thinks Joe Johnson is good enough to be the second best player on a championship team is lying to themselves. He's a really good third option who makes more than just about anyone else in the NBA.

i am not that convinced joe is going to shine but thestage is set he has a chance to play robin. b/c again i dont look at what the stats tell me.i know when joe first showed up at our doorstep. he would explode to the rim. he doesnt do that anymore & on the defensive end their are some guards that can blow past him.even onn fastbreaks i see him pulling out of the fastbreak. ive seen him miss too many open jumpers. mostly b/c he is used to booty bumping with guys in the paint.

i am not that convinced joe is going to shine but thestage is set he has a chance to play robin. b/c again i dont look at what the stats tell me.i know when joe first showed up at our doorstep. he would explode to the rim. he doesnt do that anymore & on the defensive end their are some guards that can blow past him.even onn fastbreaks i see him pulling out of the fastbreak. ive seen him miss too many open jumpers. mostly b/c he is used to booty bumping with guys in the paint.

Joe is not going to be asked to shine. That task is for Deron Williams, Joe will be a complimentary player to aleviate the scoring burden on Deron. Then add D12 into the mix, this will suit Joe just fine.