Potential trade rumor: Kyle Korver for Atlanta TPE

pimp

If we are getting Dwight now it makes sense having another shooter. If we are planning to go after him at the deadline it makes sense because its 5 mill expiring deal. However Im not sure how long this TE is good for but I wonder if there isnt a better option to use it on. How much is the TE anyhow?

About 4 million or 4.5 million

• Premium Member

If we are getting Dwight now it makes sense having another shooter. If we are planning to go after him at the deadline it makes sense because its 5 mill expiring deal. However Im not sure how long this TE is good for but I wonder if there isnt a better option to use it on. How much is the TE anyhow?

I agree because he is not even a starter at SF or any other position.

So with the JJ trade exception we can practically get another productive shooter who can play Small Forward for basically free? (Since his salary is 5 million and the TE is 4.5 million) On top of that he is an expiring contract. Why not? We didn't do anything will the JChill TE. Pull the trigger Ferry!

This post makes zero sense. From a pure asset standpoint, a 2nd rounder is worth more considering that it's an asset more likely to be on the team past 1 season and won't cost 5 million in current salary plus whatever he's presumptively flipped for. It's a move that only make sense if Dwight is in tow. If not Cartier Martin is a much cheaper shooter.

I guess in your world D12 is the only player left in the NBA worth trading for. Or maybe you think Korver is only worth moving if we can only get D12. I don't know what you think with that Korver for D12 in tow statement to be honest. Korver can shoot, he can play SF, and he is a expiring. When was the last time we drafted a 2nd round pick that could at least do those first two things? Edited by Buzzard

I guess in your world D12 is the only player left in the NBA worth trading for. Or maybe you think Korver is only worth moving if we can only get D12. I don't know what you think with that Korver for D12 in tow statement to be honest. Korver can shoot, he can play SF, and he is a expiring. When was the last time we drafted a 2nd round pick that could at least do those first two things?

Break down your scenario for me. Explain to me why it's smart to waste a TPE and 2nd rounder just to pay an extra 5 million in salary on a capped out team for a player that fulfils such a minimum roll. Explain to me what logical targets outside of Orlando would this 10th expiring added to the Hawks be able to acquire. Now explain to me why a team that has gone through such great lengths to clear future capspace is adding salary this year for a contract (because the player isn't worth it) that holds no other value but to be able to trade for longer lasting "toxic" contracts (thus eating into the future capspace created). Explain those things to me and help me understand why this scenario makes sense on any level.

Explain those things to me and help me understand why this scenario makes sense on any level.

For one, a expiring is a asset. For two, he is a SF who has a career 3pt avg of .413 and he shot .435 last season from downtown. And 3rd, who in the hell do we already have that shoots that well? And 4th, who else can we get that shoots that well? You act like Korver is a scrub. He has been hands down one of the best 3pt shooters in the league for the last nine seasons; and he did not slow down last season with that .435% on 271 attempts. Edited by Buzzard

For one, a expiring is a asset.

lol, explain to me what an expiring is an asset for again.....just incase you missed my 3rd block.

For two, he is a SF who has a career 3pt avg of .413 and he shot .435 last season from downtown

And he did that in an extremely limited role. Explain to me why that is worth 5 million again? Can't be that great an accomplishment if all it takes to pry those godly averages away from Chicago is a TPE and a 2nd rounder.

And 3rd, who in the hell do we already have that shoots that well? And 4th, who else can we get that shoots that well?

Who else do we need on the roster that serves no other purpose but to shoot, not rebound and not defend? Anthony Morrow has a career 3point average of .426%, up until last season he was actually the 2nd leader in NBA history for 3 point percentage. This guy Jenkins that we just drafted was a career 44% shooter in college from 3 too so again, given the state of the current roster, why is Korver a need enough to justify his salary when a scrub off the street in Cartier Martin can get you 39% on 3s and more rebounds for just 1 million?

Actually don't bother answering, this shit is clear as day.

Break down your scenario for me. Explain to me why it's smart to waste a TPE and 2nd rounder just to pay an extra 5 million in salary on a capped out team for a player that fulfils such a minimum roll. Explain to me what logical targets outside of Orlando would this 10th expiring added to the Hawks be able to acquire. Now explain to me why a team that has gone through such great lengths to clear future capspace is adding salary this year for a contract (because the player isn't worth it) that holds no other value but to be able to trade for longer lasting "toxic" contracts (thus eating into the future capspace created). Explain those things to me and help me understand why this scenario makes sense on any level.

You want to stay competitive.......at least make the playoffs to stay relevant with free agents. The TPE will expire if not used. Typically TPE's are used in salary dump type moves...........so the option of getting a good player on a good contract for a TPE are few and far between. This team currently has ZERO SF's on the roster, we just have some 6'5'' SGs who can't even effect the jump shots of taller SFs.................at least Korver would make 1. All I know is the TPE cannot play SF. Edited by coachx

You want to stay competitive.......at least make the playoffs to stay relevant with free agents. The TPE will expire if not used. Typically TPE's are used in salary dump type moves...........so the option of getting a good player on a good contract for a TPE are few and far between. This team currently has ZERO SF's on the roster, we just have some 6'5'' SGs who can't even effect the jump shots of taller SFs.................at least Korver would make 1. All I know is the TPE cannot play SF.

Korver is not the difference in a team winning. The TPE wouldn't cost the team any money or a draft pick. The TPE doesn't have to be used. He's a SF, but he's a SF making 5 million that doesn nothing but shoot well and hasn't played close to 25 minutes a game but once in the past 7 years. That makes it a bad contract.

That makes it a bad contract.

lmao, its only bad if you are stuck with it or its your five million. The TPE expires, use it or lose it. He will not cost us our mle, so we still have than in the hole if our ownership chooses to use it. I don't see what your beef is. Korver for five a year vs who else with our tpe for 5 a year. Enlighten me as to who else we can really get, not in fantasy world.

• Premium Member

I don't want Korver. The man is a one trick pony that might be the worst wing defender in the entire NBA. If you watched Bulls games you could hear the fans groan when the guy was on the court because they knew what was coming.

I don't want Korver. The man is a one trick pony that might be the worst wing defender in the entire NBA. If you watched Bulls games you could hear the fans groan when the guy was on the court because they knew what was coming.

We pay Josh 14 million a year to hear those same groans when he jacks a jumper. Would much rather Josh play D and Korver jack the jumpers. Maybe they would balance each other out lmao.

lmao, its only bad if you are stuck with it or its your five million. The TPE expires, use it or lose it. He will not cost us our mle, so we still have than in the hole if our ownership chooses to use it. I don't see what your beef is. Korver for five a year vs who else with our tpe for 5 a year. Enlighten me as to who else we can really get, not in fantasy world.

TPEs are automatically generated, there is no edict to use it as it mostly a byproduct of a trade. The MLE was already spent on Louis Williams. There are a half dozen cheaper options out there. There are already a half dozen options on the roster. The frontline has not been addressed so a 3 that can neither slash/rebound/defend thus why they have to be limited to 20 minutes on the court adds absolutely nothing to the team.

Mace, who would you use the TPE on? Personally I'd rather find a starting SF for that money but I don't know who is available in trade that makes that amount or less and who can also fill that role for us.I do think that rushing to judgement on this either way is being foolish as we have no idea what Ferry's vision for the 2012 Hawks will be and what the roster will look like. For all we know we could be losing one or more of the sharpshooters that we have in a potential D12 trade or maybe a trade for another player and might need a guy like Korver.

• Moderators

MacCase's point about Korver's contract not being a valuable trade asset is right - unless you plan to take on a long-term salary that another team doesn't want or you think someone will deal you an expiring contract and a better pick.So it really comes down to value on the floor. I have to assume if we make the deal that we want to win this season and Ferry thinks Korver would make a material difference with that.

I'll say this for the 3rd time. You don't need to use the TPE so there is no more pressure to go out and find a player or players that fit underneath it than there is finding consistent minutes and a role for Jordan Williams. It's a byproduct of the Joe trade.Secondly, I said it only makes sense if there's another trade coming where Korver's very specific skillset would make sense. Buzz is the one who believes that Korver on his own holds tremendous value both for the roster and as an expiring.

I'll say this for the 3rd time. You don't need to use the TPE so there is no more pressure to go out and find a player or players that fit underneath it than there is finding consistent minutes and a role for Jordan Williams. It's a byproduct of the Joe trade.

Secondly, I said it only makes sense if there's another trade coming where Korver's very specific skillset would make sense. Buzz is the one who believes that Korver on his own holds tremendous value both for the roster and as an expiring.

Of course you don't need to use the TPE, just like you don't need to use the MLE, but it can't hurt can it? For me I believe that Korver provides more value with or without Dwight than some end of the bench scrub like we normally have. And seeing as how he's an expiring contract I don't see how it hurts us at all, unless there's a better player we can get while using the TPE.

Korver's skills are redundant. A center or SF that could start would make a lot more sense

I doubt anyone here would disagree with that, but who are we going to get for $5 million bucks who is also available via trade and expires after this season?