• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ranking the NBA PFs... Is Josh really top 10?

Diesel

• Premium Member

If we were to rank the NBA's PFs this year... where does Josh stand right now.I will give some names... in no order to play with:Smoove, Amare, Brand, Thomas Robinson, Dirk, Blake, KLove, KG, Anthony Davis, Aldridge, Lee, Zebo , Bosh, Pau, Bargnani, Scola, Duncan, Milsap, Boozer, Faired, Thompson, Andre Drummond, David West.So let's see it squawk.. How do you rank your PFs and Where is Smoove?

If we were to rank the NBA's PFs this year... where does Josh stand right now. I will give some names... in no order to play with: Smoove, Amare, Brand, Thomas Robinson, Dirk, Blake, KLove, KG, Anthony Davis, Aldridge, Lee, Zebo , Bosh, Pau, Bargnani, Scola, Duncan, Milsap, Boozer, Faired, Thompson, Andre Drummond, David West. So let's see it squawk.. How do you rank your PFs and Where is Smoove?

If we were to rank the NBA's PFs this year... where does Josh stand right now. I will give some names... in no order to play with: Smoove, Amare, Brand, Thomas Robinson, Dirk, Blake, KLove, KG, Anthony Davis, Aldridge, Lee, Zebo , Bosh, Pau, Bargnani, Scola, Duncan, Milsap, Boozer, Faired, Thompson, Andre Drummond, David West. So let's see it squawk.. How do you rank your PFs and Where is Smoove?

At worst 6th behind KLove, Aldridge, Bosh, Blake and Dirk. Smoove is ahead of KG because KG played great when he moved to Center mid season. I'm confident I'm right. You have to be on bath salts if you think hes lower lol. Edited by PureGreatness
  • Like 1

I'm assuming that this is for the upcoming season so I'd have to scrub the list a lil.

Centers (guys moving fulltime to or have been pretending not to already be Cs)

Bosh

Garnett

Duncan

Rookies (no NBA data to base on)

Davis

Robinson

Drummond

So that would leave

Love

Griffin

Dirk

Gasol

LMA

Smoove

Boozer

Scola

Millsap

Faried (only one season so far)

Amar'e

West

Brand

Lee

Bargnani

ZBO (don't know if it was the injury or that he coincidentally just signed an extension last season, I'd usually rank him 7th but after the stinker he put up he's here until he reproves otherwise)

Thompson.

Pretty much 6th although I could flip flop him with Aldridge (I'm not punishing Aldridge nearly as much as I did Lee and Il Mago for putting up stats on bad teams). Even if you move those Cs back to PF (Not Duncan though, no more perpetuating that fraud) I'd say he's easily on par with Bosh, Gasol might slip from his spot with Dwight and Nash being added to further minimize his role and even if you omit their head 2 head matchups KG still beats him out so okay, he seems pretty firmly placed at 6th and I'll add tha his range is between there and 8th.

I won't hypothesize decline due to age/injury unless it's already very evident (Brand & Amar'e) and I won't hypothesize potential because....well then wouldn't Davis and Drummond would rule all?

• Premium Member

Well let's take Mace's 6-11 + BargnaniSmoove, Boozer, Scola, Milsap, Faired, Amare, and Bargnani are all available and you're a GM building a team in need of a PF.You're taking Smoove?Also.. I don't buy Bosh at C.

Well let's take Mace's 6-11 + Bargnani

Smoove, Boozer, Scola, Milsap, Faired, Amare, and Bargnani are all available and you're a GM building a team in need of a PF.

You're taking Smoove?

Also.. I don't buy Bosh at C.

Absolutely, I took that into consideration when I made the list. Teams with guys ranked beneath him would easily let go of them if they could get a hold of Josh whereas they wouldn't consider it for the guys ranked ahead of him. Faried is TBD but even then his best case right now is Millsap and worst case is Reggie Evans.

I'd also start to buy into Bosh at C.

After seeing the results and the persistence of his coaches, Bosh ultimately relented as well. In Miami's amorphous lineup, the 28-year-old Bosh essentially manned the center role in the playoffs, playing next to forwards Udonis Haslem or Shane Battier as opposed to centers Joel Anthony or Ronny Turiaf in each of his nine postseason starts.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8375877/miami-heat-chris-bosh-willing-reconsider-playing-center

Hm.In terms of people who actually play the 4 position (as in, not any 4s who are playing center), I'd say it's something like this...DirkGasolLoveLamarcus AldridgeGriffinJoshJosh, Griffin, and Aldridge are all pretty interchangeable. Come playoff time, I'd still take Duncan, KG, and Bosh over him, though they have started to play center more. And I might take Horford at 4 over Josh too (not trying to start that debate, just stating an opinion).There are a bunch of solid 4s in the league now.

Amare - no used to be but he can barely jumpBrand - NOThomas Robinson - NODirk -2011 yes, 2012 no but I'd still say he's top 5Blake - NO ask Chris Paul and he will confirm that Blake istn' that goodKLove - uhh HELL NO.KG - Way older, are you for real?Anthony Davis - NOAldridge - no defense and no rebounding, noLee - NOZebo - NOBosh - hmmm yep, he's top 10.Pau - old and disappears.Bargnani - wow, NOScola - Are you SAYING you'd rather have SCOLA than JSMOOTH?Duncan - WAY OLD are you for real?Milsap- Scorer no defense - noBoozer - When you get benched for Taj Gibson ... uhh NOFaired - more of a SF than a PFAndre Drummond -Rookie? NODavid West - all offense too short and no hops, NOso you have Bosh and Dirk and JSmooth ALWAYS owns Bosh, so no. With JSmooth alone your practically a playoff team when you had JJ playing his worst season and Horford out and you still make the playoffs, now you down him? Makes no sense.

• Admin

Amare - no used to be but he can barely jump Brand - NO Thomas Robinson - NO Dirk -2011 yes, 2012 no but I'd still say he's top 5 Blake - NO ask Chris Paul and he will confirm that Blake istn' that good KLove - uhh HELL NO. KG - Way older, are you for real? Anthony Davis - NO Aldridge - no defense and no rebounding, no Lee - NO Zebo - NO Bosh - hmmm yep, he's top 10. Pau - old and disappears. Bargnani - wow, NO Scola - Are you SAYING you'd rather have SCOLA than JSMOOTH? Duncan - WAY OLD are you for real? Milsap- Scorer no defense - no Boozer - When you get benched for Taj Gibson ... uhh NO Faired - more of a SF than a PF Andre Drummond -Rookie? NO David West - all offense too short and no hops, NO so you have Bosh and Dirk and JSmooth ALWAYS owns Bosh, so no. With JSmooth alone your practically a playoff team when you had JJ playing his worst season and Horford out and you still make the playoffs, now you down him? Makes no sense.

Wow its not hard to tell who your favorite player is. Everyone is entitled to their opinions...but it is laughable to think that Josh is basically the best pf in the league.
  • Like 2

Amare - no used to be but he can barely jump Brand - NO Thomas Robinson - NO Dirk -2011 yes, 2012 no but I'd still say he's top 5 Blake - NO ask Chris Paul and he will confirm that Blake istn' that good KLove - uhh HELL NO. KG - Way older, are you for real? Anthony Davis - NO Aldridge - no defense and no rebounding, no Lee - NO Zebo - NO Bosh - hmmm yep, he's top 10. Pau - old and disappears. Bargnani - wow, NO Scola - Are you SAYING you'd rather have SCOLA than JSMOOTH? Duncan - WAY OLD are you for real? Milsap- Scorer no defense - no Boozer - When you get benched for Taj Gibson ... uhh NO Faired - more of a SF than a PF Andre Drummond -Rookie? NO David West - all offense too short and no hops, NO so you have Bosh and Dirk and JSmooth ALWAYS owns Bosh, so no. With JSmooth alone your practically a playoff team when you had JJ playing his worst season and Horford out and you still make the playoffs, now you down him? Makes no sense.

Dude you are seriously sleeping on KLove. Well, maybe I should ask what question you are asking?

I think the question of top 10 any position is really too subjective to answer. Explanation follows.1. Impact - This is the obvious one with Josh as he is the type of player that can truly impact a game. One block, one thunderous dunk and the game swings. 2. Off ball and defense - many people only look at how many points a person scores. If that was the case, you could just sort Yahoo stats by PPG and have your list. The reality is many of the high profile players seriously lack in other areas. Some are weak defensively. Some struggle when not the first option or in the passing game, etc. If you value these things, your perception of Josh is positive. If you value pure scoring ability, Josh isn't even top 10 at his position.3. System - Kevin Love is a really good example here. Taking nothing away from Love, but the system he is in helps him get those rebounding numbers. JJ, is another good example. When you get to go iso 10 times a game, your scoring totals will go up. Some of the PF's are in systems that really help their offensive numbers while others are able to rely on stellar defensive teammates to hide their inefficiencies.This is why I so highly value PER, win shares and defensive win shares. All stats have flaws, but when I measure a player, I want to measure what matters most. Do they help my team win? Is the player a winner? I would call Josh a winner and at the PF position, in that category alone he is top 10.