• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Transition Season

Swatguy

forget? that is the question.It has been reminded to me by my favorite scribe that I should just enjoy the show this season without expectations.I'm reminded the plethora of ownership/franchise opportunities available NEXT Season. Perhaps I will be able to take that advice (sooner than later) but for now I have to wonder, what direction ASG is headed.So with this is clearly a transition season (we still have no starting center), what about the future?The franshise may still be on the market. Lowering the liabilities have made the team more attractive to a buyer. Is it the agenda?If selling the team is the agenda I want a passionate Atlanta-based ownership. I dream of a "Green Bay Packer" type ownership. If not in full but at least partial (49%). As a resident and property owner of Atlanta, I would invest with 99,999 other "resident/property owners" a 1,000 dollars annually ($100,000,000) to buttress the franchise fluidity, in return of two tickets and profit sharing (2-5%) or so. The majority may be local heavy hitters in the ilk of Tyler Perry, John Dewberry or other suitable "wealthy" invested in the quality of the team and Atlanta.We could be on the cusp of a true contending franchise come next season given the forward thinking opportunities in place.I think we need to keep Josh and Al. I believe we have to get the center next year be it D12, Bynam or Al Jefferson. Somehow get the franchise point guard (Paul, Lawson). Just thinking out loud folks.

• Moderators

I would invest with 99,999 other "resident/property owners" a 1,000 dollars annually ($100,000,000) to buttress the franchise fluidity, in return of two tickets and profit sharing (2-5%) or so.

First, I also absolutely love the Green Bay ownership situation. The leagues don't which is why they have banned it, but I think it is fantastic particularly since the money making pro sports leagues seek lots of public money. Second, I am not sure I am following you. Are you thinking that the team would give out 200,000 tickets to the investors and would take 5% of their profits and give each investor 1/100,000th of 5%? I would guess that any interest in the team would have to be a one-time payment rather than an annual investment in order to work. People's needs change over time, etc. The Packers just sell additional shares to raise money as opposed to requiring more from existing shareholders.

First, I also absolutely love the Green Bay ownership situation. The leagues don't which is why they have banned it, but I think it is fantastic particularly since the money making pro sports leagues seek lots of public money. Second, I am not sure I am following you. Are you thinking that the team would give out 200,000 tickets to the investors and would take 5% of their profits and give each investor 1/100,000th of 5%? I would guess that any interest in the team would have to be a one-time payment rather than an annual investment in order to work. People's needs change over time, etc. The Packers just sell additional shares to raise money as opposed to requiring more from existing shareholders.

ooo...I didn't think through the ticket numbers. Scratch the tickets. Perhaps a flat 5% on investment on the first year with standard shareholder status there after.

• Moderators

I'd invest in the Hawks... It's a dream of mine to be a part-owner in a franchise. 1000/year? I pay more for auto insurance and electricity... Sign me up!Honestly, I believe that should be the way teams are owned... They play for the city, let them be owned by the city.

You cite lack of center as your example of why this is a transition year? We have the same center (an all-nba one at that) that we have had the last half decade when not in transition. And a top quartile backup center to boot. Yet we don't have a clear starting 2 or 3, and all but 4 guys are FA next summer, which are the actual reasons this is a transition year

You cite lack of center as your example of why this is a transition year? We have the same center (an all-nba one at that) that we have had the last half decade when not in transition. And a top quartile backup center to boot. Yet we don't have a clear starting 2 or 3, and all but 4 guys are FA next summer, which are the actual reasons this is a transition year

Filling the roster with expirings are obvious transitional menuevers. We have Al and Josh at 5 and 4 because we have no Center to back up a Zaza which would enable Al and Josh to play the 4 and 3. Not acquiring that needed center means management is not trying to WIN Now. Al is a PF.

• Premium Member

One of the big problems is the Hawks cannot defend the rim period. We do not have the athletes the Heat has, so a center is dire need for us. I will give ZaZa for effort, but he is just a good backup at best. With all that being said, there are not many true centers around anymore. This league is all about 3 point shooting and the run and gun game.I do believe is really wanting to sell the team. The brought in Ferry to move JJ and he made it happen. This is two pronged for the Hawks ownership. 1. Get the big money roster down. 2. Make the roster flexible. Both are in place.

A center! A center! My kingdom for a center! Then, we read that there are only three or four true centers in the NBA. What? You really expect, that if it's true that there are only three or four of these players in the NBA, Atlanta could possibly obtain one of these? Another thing, with there being only three or four true centers in the NBA, on a nightly basis, how many of these true centers will we be forced to play against? Horford has been good enough to make the all star team. You may say, he wasn't chosen to play center - - - But, he was playing center when selected. Perhaps we all need to consider what our idea of a true center for the NBA should look like. We all have the picture of Shaq in our mind. Does our own ideal center require this size, shape and ability? Just something to be thinking about. --- Edited by Gray Mule

Tyson Chandler

Brook Lopez

Andrew Bynam

Joakim Noah

Chris Kamen

Brendan Haywood

JaVale McGee

Chris Anderson

Greg Monroe

Andrew Bogut

Andris Biedrins

Omer Asik

Roy Hibbert

DeAndre Jordan

Dwight Howard

Marc Gasol

Sam Dalembert

Serge Ibaka

Kendrick Perkins

Marcin Gortat

Meyers Leonard

DeMarcus Cousins

Al Jefferson

Nene

That's 24 centers of note that will play this season. There are others like Kanter, Koufus and Valanciunas to add.

You guys may stop repeating the junk you have heard.

A Marc Gasol - Horford - Smith frontline would be damn good here. Of course, Smith's outside shooting would be a liability, but we could effectively split time at SF/PF with Smith, and PF/C with Horford. I'm not an advocate of playing Smith at SF . . unless our interior frontline could dominate the boards and gobble up offensive rebounds. Gasol + Horford could do just that, when Smith gets jumpshot happy.SF - Smith ( 20 ) - Korver ( 18 ) - James/Tolliver ( 10 )PF - Horford ( 24 ) - Smith ( 14 ) - Ivan ( 10 )C - Gasol ( 30 ) - Zaza ( 10 ) - Horford ( 8 )But I agree with the point Swat is making. It's not like the NBA lacks centers. It just lacks top of the line, franchise type centers. But guys like Marc Gasol, Greg Monroe, and Roy Hibbert would do wonders for this team. A true legit center would give the Hawks the flexibility to go big, or small, depending on the matchups or opponent. Right now, we have no choice but to go small.

• Premium Member

Tyson Chandler

Brook Lopez

Andrew Bynam

Joakim Noah

Chris Kamen

Brendan Haywood

JaVale McGee

Chris Anderson

Greg Monroe

Andrew Bogut

Andris Biedrins

Omer Asik

Roy Hibbert

DeAndre Jordan

Dwight Howard

Marc Gasol

Sam Dalembert

Serge Ibaka

Kendrick Perkins

Marcin Gortat

Meyers Leonard

DeMarcus Cousins

Al Jefferson

Nene

That's 24 centers of note that will play this season. There are others like Kanter, Koufus and Valanciunas to add.

You guys may stop repeating the junk you have heard.

Eh, some of these Centers aren't even better than Zaza. How many of them would you start over Horford. As of now, I'd rather go for a borderline star SF, not for a "true" Center.

• Like 1

Eh, some of these Centers aren't even better than Zaza. How many of them would you start over Horford. As of now, I'd rather go for a borderline star SF, not for a "true" Center.

Everyone on that list except Meyer Leonard starts on our roster and Al is the PF. Everyone. I'm not devaluing Al, I say he is much better at the 4 than the 5.

Offensively I don't see Al improving whether he is the 5 or 4. Defensively he would benefit. I'm still iffy on this team. I have no clue how we are going to do. I guess that's why I'm actually excited to see this team and hopefully we can creep up on people.

I believe it will be about "the Chemistry". I know it's cliche but it is certainly true with these many "new" Hawks. It is why Kito, Ish and Anderson have now chance. Vets are the premium ingrediant for this team. James has a chance because of his fortitude and tatent, but a trade gets him in. Among the biggest boost this team may have is if Petro can give 10-12 quality minutes a game. Big if right. Somewhere between DeShawn, Korver and Morrow, a move is destined. I'm thinking a step up by Toliver puts DeShawn out the door. Maybe not. We have some serious shooters, almost too many.

This is a transition season and it will be interesting if all these shooters and FAs translates to a better team. I still worry about rebounding and D (as always) but the Heat proved last season you don't have to be big and physical to out rebound your opponent or Play solid D.

Speaking of transistions, Marvin is avg 11.0 ppg and 3.4 rpg in just 23.6 mpg ( over .500 from the field ) this pre season. He put up 11.4 in 27 mpg last season. Marvin will end up with 14 to 15 ppg as a starter. Not #2 pick type material but definetely a solid starter.