• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I went to the game tonight, here's my observations.

ATLscrubLove

This was my first time actually watching the team thus far, so I didn't know what to expect. The starting lineup was Horf, Smoove, Stevenson, Harris, Teague. Which actually turned out to be a pretty decent lineup. Stevenson can really play the 3, good shooter and actually a decent defender. Smoove shot about 4 jumpers the entire game... He made 1, the other 3 were air balls Posted Image. Harris looked real good, he drove the lane well and shot pretty good. He can play the 2 pretty decently. As for Teague, he has really worked on his long range shooting. Only problem is that he didn't drive nearly enough in my opinion. Horf looked pretty decent overall, no real pros and cons from him. This may end up being the starting lineup that Drew sticks with, they have great ball movement and seem to gel pretty well. Now we just have to get Smoove away from the perimeter.

My standout player of the game was Anthony Tolliver Posted Image Solid rebounding, nice and physical 4 off the bench. He can even shoot the ball well from long range. Had an outstanding game.

As for the rest of the bench : Zaza didn't play well at all, he got a few rebounds which is always nice but other than that he really didn't look very good. He also took a nasty fall in the 4th and stayed on the ground for a while. He did stay in the game so I guess all is well.

Lou Will, I think we all know he can flat out shoot. Only problem I had with him from this game is that he seemed to keep the ball in hands way too long. Tried to do it all by himself a lot.

Morrow can flat out shoot and he is a great passer. I am definitely looking forward to him playing the 2, off the bench or starting.

Mike Scott didn't get too much playing time but did ok with what time he had. Didn't really show me too much other than he likes to shoot at the top of the key off a pick and is pretty good at it. Needs to get more physical down on the post.

Anderson didn't play enough for me to fully evaluate his play, he may be getting cut Posted Image

Jenkins, Petro, Ivan, James and Korver DNP

Highlights:

[*]Great all around ball movement

[*]Nice in transition

Needs Improvement:

[*]REBOUNDING/TOUGHNESS

[*]shooting % from long range

[*]Smoove STOP SHOOTING JUMPERS!!!Posted Image

[*]Driving the lane

[*]Stronger post presence

Also I sat behind the Hornets bench so I got a few autographs. Henry, Roger Mason, and Robin Lopez. I wasn't able to get Unibrow or Rivers Posted Image

Edited by ATLscrubLove
  • Like 3

Overall rebounding with the smaller lineup was lacking. Hakim Warrick was grabbing a ton of rebounds, also Smoove can't guard unibrow very well. That lineup is just for transition buckets, there was practically no post presence, therefore limited rebounds.

• Admin

Its good to see Josh sticking to his mid range game .... not...he took two 3 pointers and that is two too many.Its not good to hear he had 3 long range air ballsWith all of the outside shooting that has been acquired the kid has to realize that we need his presence inside.

• Like 1

Didn't Smoove start at the 3 in the second haf with Tolliver starting at the 4?

You know I'm totally forgetting if he did or not. But I don't think anyone wants him playing the 3. However, Tolliver at the 4 is nice. Great addition.

Its good to see Josh sticking to his mid range game .... not...he took two 3 pointers and that is two too many. Its not good to hear he had 3 long range air balls With all of the outside shooting that has been acquired the kid has to realize that we need his presence inside.

His presence was nonexistent last night in the post. He was getting worked by Unibrow in the first quarter, probably cuz Unibrow has a couple inches on him. But the shot selection was terrible from him, he just needs to stop shooting. There's a reason he plays PF, not SF.

• Premium Member

You know I'm totally forgetting if he did or not. But I don't think anyone wants him playing the 3. However, Tolliver at the 4 is nice. Great addition.

Many may not want him to play there, but with this roster he will have to play minutes at the three if the Hawks want to avoid being an anemic rebounding team yet again. One need only look at the difference between the first and second half last night to realize the importance of rebounding. It affects alot more than many think.

Many may not want him to play there, but with this roster he will have to play minutes at the three if the Hawks want to avoid being an anemic rebounding team yet again. One need only look at the difference between the first and second half last night to realize the importance of rebounding. It affects alot more than many think.

Yea the Hornets really out rebounded us. However we were lucky that they weren't able to make shots in the 2nd half. When Smoove plays at the 3, I'd rather him not shoot. Lol

• Premium Member

Yea the Hornets really out rebounded us. However we were lucky that they weren't able to make shots in the 2nd half. When Smoove plays at the 3, I'd rather him not shoot. Lol

I understand and I also cringe at some of the shots Smoove takes. But as seen in the second half, when the rebounding is strong, there are more fast break opportunities which lead to easier baskets, less second chance opportunities for the opposition, less of the half court ground and pound offense and the list goes on.

I understand and I also cringe at some of the shots Smoove takes. But as seen in the second half, when the rebounding is strong, there are more fast break opportunities which lead to easier baskets, less second chance opportunities for the opposition, less of the half court ground and pound offense and the list goes on.

The smaller group will only work against other smaller teams, like Golden State. Other than that we would have to shoot lights out from the perimeter cuz we won't be getting rebounds.

• Premium Member

The smaller group will only work against other smaller teams, like Golden State. Other than that we would have to shoot lights out from the perimeter cuz we won't be getting rebounds.

True, although I would play big against the smaller teams and do to them all game long what New Orleans did to Atlanta in the first half last night. When you control the boards, more times than not, you own the other team.

I was at the game too, and to me the Hawks struggled the first half. They could not get rebounds and the unibrow was having his way with Josh. No slam against Josh, I predict the unibrow will be a monster in the NBA for years to come. Deshawn Stevenson was terrible. I believe only scored 3 points all night and the rook Rivers took him to school in the second half. He tried to play bullyball with Rivers and kept getting fouls. Devin Harris I believe with be our best new player. He always had skills and I believe the change of scenery will do him well. Josh and Al were both solid. Josh with a few bad shots and Al being a little timid at times. Never seen ZaZa play this poorly, glad it was pre-seaon. Tolliver is a keeper and I was pleasantly surprised by his play. Sweet Lou and Morrow are flat out shooters. Lou actually gets to the line. Got tickets for Saturday's game too, hopefully Benson, Jenkins and Korver play in this one.

• Like 1

I was at the game too, and to me the Hawks struggled the first half. They could not get rebounds and the unibrow was having his way with Josh. No slam against Josh, I predict the unibrow will be a monster in the NBA for years to come. Deshawn Stevenson was terrible. I believe only scored 3 points all night and the rook Rivers took him to school in the second half. He tried to play bullyball with Rivers and kept getting fouls. Devin Harris I believe with be our best new player. He always had skills and I believe the change of scenery will do him well. Josh and Al were both solid. Josh with a few bad shots and Al being a little timid at times. Never seen ZaZa play this poorly, glad it was pre-seaon. Tolliver is a keeper and I was pleasantly surprised by his play. Sweet Lou and Morrow are flat out shooters. Lou actually gets to the line. Got tickets for Saturday's game too, hopefully Benson, Jenkins and Korver play in this one.

I'm going to the game tomorrow as well. I'm gonna try and get some more autographs. Going for Dirk, Vince Carter, Elton Brand, Kaman, Mayo, even Delonte West lol.