• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here's the facts...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Was watching the NBATV preview on the Hawks.Here's our downfall and has been for years.We need a quality 3 and a quality 5.Horf and Smoove are both 4s. The F.O. has to decide how they want to proceed. Moving Joe did nothing but take away the one guy we could count on to run the offense through and clear capspace which we can't really use until people want to come to Atlanta.Brevin said it best. He said playing against 5's for a whole season will wear Al down. Fratello said it best, You don't want Josh playing the 3.So what are we to do?Either trade Josh for a 5 or trade Horf for a 5...Since Josh is in the last year of his deal, him for a 5 may fetch us something if we don't wait too late.I would still consider strongly Josh and Korver to LAL for Gasol/1st.Let Josh and his Buddy get a season together. Give us the first and the 7 footer.

• Like 1

We have, for years, wished for a center and PG.We have heard, over and over, "Players like M.W. are a dime a dozen."Now, we need a 3 and a 5. We have an all star 5 but he isn't good enough.Too many options out there to believe that our roster is set for the season.

• Like 1

I don't see Al getting wore down playing center all season with many teams moving thier pf to center.Also He won't start at center vs bigger centers like Howard and Bynum.The Ajc said a couple of weeks ago that Drew will start Zaza vs the bigger centers. Just like the Collins, Horford, Smith lineup.

• Like 2

The Al and Smoove at 4 and 5 does not work on a championship level. I am not so sure that I don't want Smoove playing the 3. This is why I wanted the team blown up because trading Joe did nothing for us on the court, that was known from the beginning

The whole changing starting lineups to matchup with the other team is also bush league. Samuel Dalembert, Tyson Chandler, Biedrins, and a bunch of other lessor players than Al Horford can play C against anyone. That is what a true Center is.

The Hawks already tried Smoove for Gasol and do you know what the Lakers said? "What else?"They very clearly aren't in the business of moving any thing of value for anything less than greater value. They'll probably want Louis or Teague, for us to take back Duhon or Blake and a then throw in a couple picks. You're better off just holding on to Josh at that point.....which Ferry did.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Was watching the NBATV preview on the Hawks. Here's our downfall and has been for years. We need a quality 3 and a quality 5. Horf and Smoove are both 4s. The F.O. has to decide how they want to proceed. Moving Joe did nothing but take away the one guy we could count on to run the offense through and clear capspace which we can't really use until people want to come to Atlanta. Brevin said it best. He said playing against 5's for a whole season will wear Al down. Fratello said it best, You don't want Josh playing the 3. So what are we to do? Either trade Josh for a 5 or trade Horf for a 5... Since Josh is in the last year of his deal, him for a 5 may fetch us something if we don't wait too late. I would still consider strongly Josh and Korver to LAL for Gasol/1st. Let Josh and his Buddy get a season together. Give us the first and the 7 footer.

Definitely agree on your point about Smoove and Horford. From a positional situation, they are indeed a duplication. In addition, the economics of the situation will make it neccessary for the Hawks to decide between the two. Smoove is gonna be looking for a big payday and the Hawks are already paying Horf 12 million per. If they are gonna become an elite team, they can't tie up two big contracts in players that are essentially best suited for the same position.

• Moderators

There is more than one way to line up a team. Who were the starting the centers in the Finals last year? Gasol is nice to have if he's alongside Kobe (not to mention artest, nash, howard). How was Gasol doing in the prime of his career when surrounded by average players? I believe we are still a playoff team but we are rebuilding in the sense that the days of us adding aging, expensive vets are long gone.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I chuckle when I read posts trying to pass off pessimism as realism... Josh isn't going anywhere and Josh at 3 is not a bad thing. I believe a lot of fans/analysts don't want Josh at 3 because they think it's going to enable him to take more long jump shots. I truly believe Josh will play his game no matter the position; he plays from the outside in and you rarely see him post up. Josh has shown this preseason that he will attack the hoop and each game he is taking less and less long 2's. Game plan along with starting lineups will change against every team... Some nights it'll be Horf 5, Smith 4. Other nights will be Horf 4, Smith 3 and it is possible that we have Horf 5, Smith 3. Now am I saying this current roster is a championship contender? No, but we are a team this year, not just a core anymore. Can't remember the last time the Hawk's had a bench this deep...Horford and Josh can work... You don't need true 7 footers as your center anymore. The league is shrinking... Now am I saying there is no place for the likes of DH12, Bynum, or Hibbert? Of course not, those players definitely give you a huge advantage, but more and more teams are moving PF's to center, such as Boston using KG at center and Miami using Bosh... The only centers that Horford will have problems with will be Hibbert, Howard, and Bynum, which is why we have Pachulia and Petro for (Petro is our new JaCo). Al's only problem right now is getting healthy and his strength back. He still doesn't look 100% there.

• Like 1

I chuckle when I read posts trying to pass off pessimism as realism... Josh isn't going anywhere and Josh at 3 is not a bad thing. I believe a lot of fans/analysts don't want Josh at 3 because they think it's going to enable him to take more long jump shots. I truly believe Josh will play his game no matter the position; he plays from the outside in and you rarely see him post up. Josh has shown this preseason that he will attack the hoop and each game he is taking less and less long 2's. Game plan along with starting lineups will change against every team... Some nights it'll be Horf 5, Smith 4. Other nights will be Horf 4, Smith 3 and it is possible that we have Horf 5, Smith 3. Now am I saying this current roster is a championship contender? No, but we are a team this year, not just a core anymore. Can't remember the last time the Hawk's had a bench this deep... Horford and Josh can work... You don't need true 7 footers as your center anymore. The league is shrinking... Now am I saying there is no place for the likes of DH12, Bynum, or Hibbert? Of course not, those players definitely give you a huge advantage, but more and more teams are moving PF's to center, such as Boston using KG at center and Miami using Bosh... The only centers that Horford will have problems with will be Hibbert, Howard, and Bynum, which is why we have Pachulia and Petro for (Petro is our new JaCo). Al's only problem right now is getting healthy and his strength back. He still doesn't look 100% there.

I agree with a lot of what you say about Josh and Al playing together, but I do hate this shuffling line-up to match-up with other teams. You never want to be constantly matching other teams personnel - you want teams adjusting to you. I do understand why LD has to do it but I'm not a fan. Additionally, I wouldn't be so quick to say "Josh isn't going anywhere" - Josh is after all a FA. Josh's play will determine if Ferry will want to sign him long term. Ferry is a San Antonio disciple, he has his idea of what he wants this "Championship" team to be going forward, Josh playing the same way we have ALL seen him play in years past and wanting a max deal - I think Ferry says no thank you. I have been hoping and praying that Josh finally gets "it" - he wants to be the man? he is that now - so show us what you got young fellow - I am rooting for him cause if he does well so do the Hawks.

I agree with a lot of what you say about Josh and Al playing together, but I do hate this shuffling line-up to match-up with other teams. You never want to be constantly matching other teams personnel - you want teams adjusting to you. I do understand why LD has to do it but I'm not a fan. Additionally, I wouldn't be so quick to say "Josh isn't going anywhere" - Josh is after all a FA. Josh's play will determine if Ferry will want to sign him long term. Ferry is a San Antonio disciple, he has his idea of what he wants this "Championship" team to be going forward, Josh playing the same way we have ALL seen him play in years past and wanting a max deal - I think Ferry says no thank you. I have been hoping and praying that Josh finally gets "it" - he wants to be the man? he is that now - so show us what you got young fellow - I am rooting for him cause if he does well so do the Hawks.

Now is this post pessimism . . or realism? I say it's realism.

• Premium Member

I chuckle when I read posts trying to pass off pessimism as realism... Josh isn't going anywhere and Josh at 3 is not a bad thing. I believe a lot of fans/analysts don't want Josh at 3 because they think it's going to enable him to take more long jump shots. I truly believe Josh will play his game no matter the position; he plays from the outside in and you rarely see him post up. Josh has shown this preseason that he will attack the hoop and each game he is taking less and less long 2's. Game plan along with starting lineups will change against every team... Some nights it'll be Horf 5, Smith 4. Other nights will be Horf 4, Smith 3 and it is possible that we have Horf 5, Smith 3. Now am I saying this current roster is a championship contender? No, but we are a team this year, not just a core anymore. Can't remember the last time the Hawk's had a bench this deep... Horford and Josh can work... You don't need true 7 footers as your center anymore. The league is shrinking... Now am I saying there is no place for the likes of DH12, Bynum, or Hibbert? Of course not, those players definitely give you a huge advantage, but more and more teams are moving PF's to center, such as Boston using KG at center and Miami using Bosh... The only centers that Horford will have problems with will be Hibbert, Howard, and Bynum, which is why we have Pachulia and Petro for (Petro is our new JaCo). Al's only problem right now is getting healthy and his strength back. He still doesn't look 100% there.

Do you also chuckle when someone tries to pass off over-optimism as realism??
  • Like 1